Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new jabber today. Weighs a hair under 23 pounds using extremely heavy stem bar and seatpost (niner rdo coming soon). Trails are still wet in MN but should be hitting the dirt soon! Will post a build list and some better photos once she's dirty. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yet to get out and ride it but I also have a Santa Cruz highball aluminum ss and carbon 1x10 and a superfly sl. After reading some more about the frame I'm worried I won't like the long chain stays on climbs and through the tight stuff.. However I'm also 6'2 and 150# so climbing with the longer stays might not be a problem for someone heavier (will comment on this after a few rides). Overall I really like the build I think it came out nice spending less then $1800 for the whole thing with a whiskey no.9, e.13 xcx+ wheels, SLX brakes, and xo1 cranks. About the fork, I went with a whiskey components fork because when ordering frames I noticed vassago sold them with their bikes. The fork is corrected for 100mm of travel and the frame is built for 80. If I didn't receive a very good discount on the whiskey I would have gone with the niner rdo fork. Although the whiskey does look bad ass on the black frame ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe the A/C on the Whisky No.9 and No.7 is 480 which is a little taller than some carbon forks. It made me wanna keep my stem almost completely slammed to the headtube.

Awesome looking build! After my first ride of the year I am loving my VerHauen with No.7 fork. I think you'll get along just fine with the chainstays, they really aren't THAT long. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice Jabber! I have a 1st Gen (same stays) and I don't think climbing is going to be an issue. The longer stays keep the front end down, meaning I don't have to lean over the bars and can stand almost straight up and put max power to the pedals. Standing up puts a little more weight on the rear tire which really helps with wheelspin on our loose over hard trails.

Turning wise, it will feel a little different, but I changed my body positioning a little and can rip turns just as fast as anyone. I should say that braking and turning (and both at the same time) is a part of my riding I take great pride in, but anyone can do it-just be prepared to maybe change your style like we all did when we went from gears to SS:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.