Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hear ya...Madcap has what I'd like to try. I think they are "Paul's" tensioners. Been looking for them and no luck yet.

doughocker said:
I am running the Jabbernutts currently and would like somthing with a bit more bling. What do ya'll got for me? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
So I am waiting on a new Jabberwocky frame to ship and wondering...

Is there some other approach to removing the rear wheel or are you guys re-adjusting these tensioners every time? I would expect if the tensioners are adjusted you can't pull a standard wheel without first creating enough slack to remove the chain...or is there some other approach?

I thought the JabberNutz were going to be an upgrade over the stock tensioners...do they not work well or do you just want to be different? :skep:

The other thing I am looking at is getting a thru-bolt for the rear hub that can be completely removed without re-adjusting the tensioners. I could always use my old Surly Tugnut with a QR but I hate to slap that on there when there are tensioners built-in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I simply derail the chain and pull the wheel out, couldn't be easier. I have a different approach to gearing than most I'm told. I run a 36T chainring and anywhere from 16T-20T for rear cogs. More chain wrap provides a more durable and longer lasting drive train. Also, gets the chain elevated away from the stay - run a wee bit of slack and derail the chain. No worries.

The JabberNutz work just fine, as does any 3mm hardware with a little head on it to engage your axle.

We're looking for bling, that's all.

You're gonna dig your Jabber!

canyonrat said:

Is there some other approach to removing the rear wheel or are you guys re-adjusting these tensioners every time? I would expect if the tensioners are adjusted you can't pull a standard wheel without first creating enough slack to remove the chain...or is there some other approach?

I thought the JabberNutz were going to be an upgrade over the stock tensioners...do they not work well or do you just want to be different? :skep:

The other thing I am looking at is getting a thru-bolt for the rear hub that can be completely removed without re-adjusting the tensioners. I could always use my old Surly Tugnut with a QR but I hate to slap that on there when there are tensioners built-in.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
Celt said:
I hear ya...Madcap has what I'd like to try. I think they are "Paul's" tensioners. Been looking for them and no luck yet.
you can find them at the online store at paulcomp.com

I believe they are called "singlespeed hardware kit" or something like that, cheaper than the Jabbernuts

·
Registered
129 Posts
For sure...recall being there, but they don't seem to sell them without the dropouts. I shot them an email.

madcap said:
you can find them at the online store at paulcomp.com

I believe they are called "singlespeed hardware kit" or something like that, cheaper than the Jabbernuts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
canyonrat said:

Two solutions...

Solution A: Don't run tensioners. With a quick release it seems like it'd be a smart idea but if you're willing to run a bolt on rear then there may not be a need for them. I've taken my wheel on and off a couple times and forgotten (or been to lazy) to retighten the tensioners and mine's never moved.

Solution B: I use a KMC Z410 chain. As easy as the master link on these things is to work with it's super simple to just take the chain off by removing the master link pieces and pulling the wheel off. No need to move the tensioners at all.

·
Beware the Blackbuck!
469 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but I'm also interested in what canyonrat is asking about. Does everyone adjust their tensioners before they remove the chain? I derail my chain off my fixie's chain ring at full chain tension, but now I have some Middleburns with an Uno ring I don't want to f up.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ShadowsCast said:
Not to derail the thread, but I'm also interested in what canyonrat is asking about. Does everyone adjust their tensioners before they remove the chain? I derail my chain off my fixie's chain ring at full chain tension, but now I have some Middleburns with an Uno ring I don't want to f up.
See my post above.

·
Beware the Blackbuck!
469 Posts
I saw it, but I've got a sram 8 speed on there now. On the "best chain" thread in the SS forum, KMC has at least 50% of the votes, and on top of that I'm pretty disappointed with the "powerlink," so that will certainly be my next chain, I'm mostly just curious if people think it's possibly damaging to derail a chain at single speed chain tension.

That does answer my question however, to be safe I'll loosen the tension to derail until I get a better chain like you pointed out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.