Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Looks cool, I'm assuming its a proto since the disc tabs on the frame lack the adjustability needed for horizontal drop outs

I got a couple relatives on Reynolds 520 Jamis Coda frames and they like the way they ride. Reynolds 520 is Taiwan cro-moly made to Reynolds standards so its not bad.

PS-I just noticed the price...$579 is too much for a 520 frame and fork, if it was something a little higher end then it might be worth it but you can buy entire Reynolds 520 BIKES for $579

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are finally available on the Vassago website...be still my itchy mouse finger, lest my wife kill me for adding another bike to the lineup. But damn I want one! Just sent an email to bikecx.com...we'lll see.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Looks cool, I'm assuming its a proto since the disc tabs on the frame lack the adjustability needed for horizontal drop outs
I noticed that it has a hanger, and can be run with gears. Maybe the disk tabs are for running gears, with the axle all the way forward.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whats with the brown?

What happened to the cool green?

Bike looks nice, but there are others out there at this and lower price level bike that offer very similar frames .
Surly, On-one, Soma. to name a few

Still it takes guts to get out there with a new model and deal with all us whiney bike freaks:skep: ...kudos to the Vassago org.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Yeah, I don't know about the rear disc tab. I don't feel like running the WI eccentric adapter. The Fisticuff does fulfill one market niche against the Surly, On-One, Soma, and Salsa frames, it has disc tabs and is SS compatible.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Schmucker said:
Yeah, I don't know about the rear disc tab. I don't feel like running the WI eccentric adapter. The Fisticuff does fulfill one market niche against the Surly, On-One, Soma, and Salsa frames, it has disc tabs and is SS compatible.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
The poster that goes by the name "ShockStar" has one and has been riding it for about a year now. (His is the green prototype)

I can't remember if his has the disc tab or not, but I do know he rides the crap out of it. Perhaps he'll chime in here shortly with his take.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
It'd be even better with a head tube. Nice build on the site but those bars look a bit low and the stem on that green proto is burned into my memory.

I know, I know, short HTs are the norm but even if someone would split the difference instead of settling on short...

C.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I own a Jabber and I've been looking for a cross/tourer. The Fisticuff is close to what I want:

- Nice geometery from what I can tell. No info on BB drop or Chainstay length.

- No rack braze-on despite Vassago claiming it's also a commuter

- Why is the head angle 72.5* for the taller frames?

- What's with the disc tab?

IMHO, it's competition is the Surly Crosscheck, both have their points.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I like it. But I want to really like it. I've seen Ben's(shokstars), and it is a nice looking bike. He never ran his with discs though, so I never noticed the mounts on his bike. I'm tall, as I'll assume most of us are, and the 60cm(the biggest size) just isn't big enough. A 58cm TT? C'mon, get it out there, at least 60x60 so we can run stems that aren't a foot long and throw weight off. FWIW, I run a cross bike with a 61cm tt.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't get it. Why bother with the disc tab if you aren't going to do it right? The Vassago Jabberwocky has trackends and adjustable disc mounts. Why wouldn't the fisty?

Or for that matter, why not use an eccentric or sliding drops. The lack of rack mounts, short head tube, and badly designed brake system definitely make a deal breaker for me.

And I agree that that price seems a tad high ...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think if I were getting a "cross commuter" I'd much rather get a surly, a motobecane Uno or something like that. Actually, the Uno is EXACTLY what I want for a commuter. If only it wasn't such a PITA to get them in Canada.

·
Administrator
581 Posts
Wtf?

Ad copy from their Web site: "Nice light 'cross wheels, a 24 speed drive train and some canti brakes, and you will be enjoying the comfort of steel and hop-happy geometry all cyclocross season."

And it only gets worse from there...

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
~martini~ said:
I like it. But I want to really like it. I've seen Ben's(shokstars), and it is a nice looking bike. He never ran his with discs though, so I never noticed the mounts on his bike. I'm tall, as I'll assume most of us are, and the 60cm(the biggest size) just isn't big enough. A 58cm TT? C'mon, get it out there, at least 60x60 so we can run stems that aren't a foot long and throw weight off. FWIW, I run a cross bike with a 61cm tt.
I saw it at the Interbike outdoor demo, agreed it's a very nice looking frame. However, that prototype did not have disc mounts on it at all.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Oliver said:
Anyone seen the new Vassago Cross Bike? Looks pretty good, I might have to get my hands on one.

Anyone got their hands on one? Maybe a proto? Any feedback?

http://vassagocycles.com/fisty.html
Wait a minute. Are you not the Oliver who is sponsored by or somehow affliated with Vassago?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also Cotic Roadrat!

The Cotic Roadrat would also be competition for the Fisticuff. Even with big $$ shipping from across the pond it is roughly same price. Single speed, disc mounts ( right side on fork:skep;) ) and good rep.

As far as SA... I like the slacker seat tubes, better for climbing.

But as I mentioned... really nice to have more choices... It would be far worse if there was only one frame to choose from:eek:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Manicmtbr said:
Wait a minute. Are you not the Oliver who is sponsored by or somehow affliated with Vassago?
No, I am not sponsored by them, nor do I work for them. I am actually an analyst for a biotech in San Diego, that is way to fat to be sponsored by a bike company.

I wish, then my wife would not give me the evil eye, everytime I want to by a new bike or parts. Just like the bikes, like the way they ride, just like most riders who prefer one brand to another.

A Loyalist you can say, but I am actually looking a getting an 09 E.M.D. if that is any consolation.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
the disc mounts are awesome....there is a terrible lack of CX style bikes with disc mounts. the lack of adjustability in the mounts is far less of an issue than some seem to believe (this is from experience) although for the pricepoint they could've just done it right i suppose.

it looks to be much more direct competition to the cotic roadrat...and with the shipping the frame prices are nearly identical. i'm willing to be the vassago is a "stronger" frame with better tire clearance...it certainly has better geometry numbers for dirt riding. wonder if the short headtube issue is less of a problem with proper dirt drops...?

i really like this bike but as mentioned the pricepoint is just a bit too high. if only brant would make a "dirt pompino" with disc mounts...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.