Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
steel frames with vertical dropouts priced at $430.
which do you prefer and why?

or go up a notch to niner mcr or salsa mariachi?

what other steel geared frames am i forgetting?

unfortunately anything i order will be sight unseen as no one here has any steel 29ers.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
add Origin-8 Scout and the QBall to your list of sub $500 geared steel frames

I prefer the geometry of the Vassago over the Voodoo, makes for slightly quicker handling

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My vote is for the voodoo. I picked one up two months ago, I really like it. The ability to use V brakes on it is great, and the frame seemed really light and strong. I love the sloping top tube, though it looks a little funny I really like the extra clearance. The dropouts are pretty good too, mine slip a bit so my chain isn't really tight but it doesn't affect the performance. I bet there isn't a big quality difference between the four frames you listed, they're all pretty awesome. I have a hard time seeing how a niner or salsa frame are much better than the dambala or bandersnatch.

The first time out on real trails with my dambala I caught my pedals on stuff a lot, which is funny, as I thought the dambala had a high bb. I've gotten used to it now, good thing I have a AM BB on it. :p

Here's a photo of my dambala.
https://flic.kr/p/2612690891
Lots of people really like the bandersnatchs, you wouldn't go wrong getting one of them!

Edit: oh yeah, the origin 8 frame was also on my short list for bikes, it looks really decent. If their steel fork took v brakes, I would have gone for it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I Just Built a Voodoo Dambala

Unfortunately, I smashed my custom Curtlo single speed into my house while trying to drive into the garage with it on the roof rack :madmax:

I needed an economicaI replacement and considered both the Voodoo and Vassago. I chose the Dambala as it was the easiest for my LBS to order and I wanted the sliding dropouts.

So far, I really like the fit, ride and look of the Dambala.

There are a few dislikes.
- I read that the paint chips easily and this seems to be the case. I've ridden the bike 3 times and the paint has chipped in several unexpected locations.
- There is slight toe overlap, but I have not experienced it yet while actually riding (note: I have size 47 shoe)
- The left side slider is "sliding" backwards:madman: I ditched the crappy stock aluminum washers because the steel bolts just bore into them making it impossible to apply proper torque. I replaced them with steel flat and serrated washers. The tensioning bolts were also replaced with thumb screws as it is hard to make adjustments on trail with a multi tool. During my last ride with the new hardware, the left dropout moved back again slighlty. I may not have tightened the bolts enough as I'm afraid to strip the threads. My next attempt is to apply blue locktight.

Attachments

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
cutthroat said:
Kona Unit 2-9 - $350 at Bikeman: http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/KONASALE/KON-UNIT2906

Add a dropout with a derailleur hanger and you can run it geared or SS - Dedacciai tubing (SAT 14.5 or COM 12.5 depending on the year) - awesome bike for the money.
Has anyone heard of the newer UNIT frames cracking like the older ones? Buddy of mine had this very same frame and the rear tabs for the sliding drop-outs were bent inward from the get go. It put so much strain on his rear hub that the bearings grenaded twice. He also threw his chain quite frequently.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i really wanted a qball....but the #s didn't come out right for my size and shape. i ended up with the bandersnatch and it fits really, really well. running it with a reba @ 80mm.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
cycljunkie said:
Has anyone heard of the newer UNIT frames cracking like the older ones? Buddy of mine had this very same frame and the rear tabs for the sliding drop-outs were bent inward from the get go. It put so much strain on his rear hub that the bearings grenaded twice. He also threw his chain quite frequently.
I have a 2007 Explosif 2-9 which is essentially the Unit. There were a few 2005/2006 frames that cracked at the HT gusset when Kona used the Deda SAT 14.5 tubing. The new models use the COM 12.5 which is thicker/stronger. The failure rate on the SAT frames was about 3% so it wasn't as though it was a huge problem, but bigger and harder riders might want to make sure they got a later model frame. I've had no problems with my sliding dropouts whatsoever - they have threaded bolt stops to fine tune the chain tension, and once set up the sliders do not move - the alignment is spot on for mine. Sliding drops is the way to go if you run discs - way better than an EBB IMO.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dambala Update

Just wanted to provide an update to some of the problems I was having with the Voodoo.
- I adjusted my cleats back slightly and there is no toe overlap even with my big clown feet.
- The sliders did not move on my last 2 rides and I did not use blue locktight yet.
- The paint is still chipping :mad:

With respect to the head badge, it is just a plastic piece adhered to the head tube.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Vassago badge is Steering Silver (additional cost though)..
I rode my 26 yesterday.. then jumped back on my Bander...
I can't focken believe I use to ride that little wimpy thing!!

Go Vassago bro!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just purchased a voodoo sobo ....love the frame and the bike rides smooth BUT the paint started chipping in a number of areas...small round white dots!! on my candy red bike....why not just triple clear coat the paint or something....seems like voodoo needs to make an adjustment...my jamis frame never did that...though it broke in half !!! or better idea...candy red primer!! never see it....send voodoo bikes a note , i was thinking of going full suspension but not sure i want a chipped up new bike after a few rides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.