Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been posted before, I think, but I'm hoping both products have been out long enough for somebody to generate some more extensive ride impressions.

According to my back-of-the envelope math, putting a 100mm fork on a Vassago frame will slacken it out to the point where the HA and BB measurements become pretty similar to those of a Fisher...somewhere in between the Paragon hardtail and the Hifi FS bikes (which are steeper than the hardtails for some reason). I haven't spent much time on G2 bikes, but I do have a pretty good impression of them. I bugged Vassago about this via email for a while, but all they'd tell me is that they don't recommend G2 forks because "they have too much offset."

I think I have a pretty good grasp of what rake and trail measurements do to a bike, so can anybody out there break this down further? I'm going to pick up a new fork sometime in the next few months regardless, and since the rationale for G2 offset as I understand it was to give better low-speed handling with a slacker head angle I'm really curious as to how this combination would work. Not to mention that I've seen OEM Fox forks from Fisher sell for less on Ebay than a new Reba.

Edit: What I'm trying to get away from is the lousy handling this frame has with a 1st-gen Reba. I don't totally buy the notion that the 38mm rake on that fork leads to a more "stable" handling bike...the steering feels vague and dead on center, but when I chop the bars to one side it gets pretty twitchy. This has sent me arse over teakettle a couple of times. I'd be plenty happy with a "faster-handling" fork as long as it was more predictable than a 38mm Reba.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
fat_weasel said:
This has been posted before, I think, but I'm hoping both products have been out long enough for somebody to generate some more extensive ride impressions.

According to my back-of-the envelope math, putting a 100mm fork on a Vassago frame will slacken it out to the point where the HA and BB measurements become pretty similar to those of a Fisher...somewhere in between the Paragon hardtail and the Hifi FS bikes (which are steeper than the hardtails for some reason). I haven't spent much time on G2 bikes, but I do have a pretty good impression of them. I bugged Vassago about this via email for a while, but all they'd tell me is that they don't recommend G2 forks because "they have too much offset."

I think I have a pretty good grasp of what rake and trail measurements do to a bike, so can anybody out there break this down further? I'm going to pick up a new fork sometime in the next few months regardless, and since the rationale for G2 offset as I understand it was to give better low-speed handling with a slacker head angle I'm really curious as to how this combination would work. Not to mention that I've seen OEM Fox forks from Fisher sell for less on Ebay than a new Reba.

Edit: What I'm trying to get away from is the lousy handling this frame has with a 1st-gen Reba. I don't totally buy the notion that the 38mm rake on that fork leads to a more "stable" handling bike...the steering feels vague and dead on center, but when I chop the bars to one side it gets pretty twitchy. This has sent me arse over teakettle a couple of times. I'd be plenty happy with a "faster-handling" fork as long as it was more predictable than a 38mm Reba.
Just go to a current RS/Manitou/Fox fork with ~47mm of offset.

The G2 spec forks are ~52mm.

·
Registered
701 Posts
fat_weasel said:

Obviously you know more than the bike manufacture that told you the G2 is a no go. That being said, Vassago does not recommend using the old Reba either, because there is not enough offset at 38mm. The Fox non G2 and Rock Shox Reba 09 or newer at 80mm of travel offer a more optimal setup.

Seeing as Vassago's are designed around their Rigid fork that has 45mm of offset, and a low axle to crown of 467mm, The old Reba with its long axle to crown length, and combined with the 38mm offset, means shite handling for Vassago's period.

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
The lower trail figure due to the G2 offset vs. current standard 46-47mm offset forks is not necessarily a bad thing, especially when dealing with slacker than usual bikes, namely those which have been fitted with a taller fork than designed for (i.e. the Vassago w/100mm fork).

·
Registered
760 Posts
S:Drive said:
Seeing as Vassago's are designed around their Rigid fork that has 45mm of offset, and a low axle to crown of 467mm, The old Reba with its long axle to crown length, and combined with the 38mm offset, means shite handling for Vassago's period.
And conversely, a 51mm G2 fork + 80mm Fox fork with 480mm crown to axle should bring the trail right in if not make it a hair quicker. Pretty sure a Fox 80mm G2 fork (I just bought one) can be converted to 100mm. I believe without actually crunching the numbers the G2 51mm offset + 100mm travel i.e. 500mm axle to crown would be the equivalent to 45mm offset with 467 axle to crown ie. Vassago specs or very close. You could try either stroke/sag height with the Fox fork if you were OK with taking it apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.