Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. It is a bit difficult to describe, so bear with me. A lot of posts lately have had to do with downhill resorts. Kudos to Sugarbush for welcoming bikes to their resort.

In the past I've visited one lift-served downhill resort a few times and had a blast. It was Bromont, Quebec. This and other resorts like Killington, Sugarbush and Mount Snow for examples are full of hard core, armored-up serious downhill enthusiasts. This is fantastic and we've all experienced the rush of being on top of our game. These resorts cater to this crowd and we are all lucky that such places exist.

I am a single track junkie riding an all mountain bike. This is where I spend my time. But, to mix things up a bit, I'll be visiting Sugarbush or Bromont again. I'll probably bring some 12-15 year olds with me on similar bikes. Ya know, this is the age of loving to ride but hate the work.

In general, are the resorts and their main customers tolerant of weekend warriors like me? Respect would be given to to the faster riders like anywhere else, of course. I and my crew probably wouldn't be hitting the freeride hits or the double black diamond downhill trails. The Bromont website has pictures of young kids smiling on their bikes indicating that they welcome all ages and abilities. I should also note that I've never had any run-ins with anybody to make me too concerned.

I'm probably overthinking this and will go anyway, but I'd like your comments.

Thanks in advance!

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Bromont riders are often pretty rude. Think of the mass as a retarted-teenager type of group... The idea to them is: "I'm faster and YOU should get out of my way". Of course, i'm generalizing here... but most downhillers there don't have trail etiquette at all... Mostly bashers who bang on every rock in their sight and then blame the equipement...

I use to be a downhiller at Bromont... for 3-4 years, i only had a DH bike and a road bike... No XC... But i got tired of the crowd and moved back to XC-AM riding. When i go to Bromont for XC or lift-served, i can't express how sad i think it is that the same riders are still there and that no one seems to be evolving...

Now bromont installed the "Freelap" system... So look for even more "hardcore-wannabe-racers" who will run you over just to shave a second on their lap! Good thing they don't install those on more "popular" trails because "families and xc-riders" would get runover!

Anyhow, i'm not saying that every downhiller doesn't have any skills or etiquette... But think of the masses and youngster who wish to be heroes just like in the movies... that's the "common" crowd at Bromont... But then again, this is my perception of things.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Over the last couple years I have been to mt snow, Killington, and Bromont for occasional (like 1-2x a year max) days of lift serviced DHing. I'm basically a DH novice and have been with groups of varying abilities. In general I've found the mtns riders and definitely staff all to be pretty tolerant of weekend warriors, beginners, kids whatever. I think its pretty similar to skiing in the winter in that there are going to be faster riders around...generally you give them the berth and respect they deserve and vice versa. If you end up going with a group spend sometime talking about yielding, and being conscious of how and where your group stops and I think you'll have a blast. There are always some rowdy types but most people are really nice.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Although I haven't ridden Mount Snow in years, I think you'll be fine at either Killington or Sugarbush. Killington maybe has an advantage because of it's size and variety offering singletrack riding, technically DH runs, and gravel access roads. The vibe at both places is pretty laid-back. I've had good interactions with families, first timers, groups, etc. on the trails. Slowing down and a quick greeting works wonders sometimes. Unfortunately, there are always groups of riders who will fly past slower bikers on the mountain. Good luck!

toby

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I haven't riddenBromont nearly as much as Big Jay, but I haven't had that experience. I think yu are going to see resorts catering more and more to riders like yourself. I think you are going to see trails that are more like lift-served all-mountain riding. The kind of thing where a run will take 30-40 minutes on a 6" travel bike. It would be kinda like "slack-country" skiing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.