Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying out a 140 Vanilla and am debating between the R and RLC. I had a float 130 RLC for a year or so and really liked it aside from being somewhat flexy and divey. (I weigh 220)

I found the low speed compression adjustment invaluable in being able to tune the Float. It seemed to allow me to keep the fork soft enough to be very plush, but kept the brake dive to a managable level at the same time.

Does the Vanilla work much the same way? Does it have the same tendency to dive? Could it be even worse due to the more linear nature of the coil spring? Or could it be better on the '07 than the 130?

I wanna run a head-to-head comparison with my Pike Air, but if it is flexy, divey, and heavier, I doubt it can be plush enough to make up for those disadvantages.

Thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
I went the other way. I have a 07 Pike 454 Air U-Turn that I just installed to replace a 07 Vanilla RLC. I'm about the same weight as you (225) and had the same problems with brake dive. I had the low speed compression maxed out and the preload set all the way downFox just doesn't make a stiff enough spring for a rider our size. You won't be happy going from the Pike to a Vanilla IMO.

·
Registered
804 Posts
heavyg said:
thanks Jeremy- It's hard to find anybody that doesn't love the Pike.
Very True. The Pike is an amazing fork. I just want to add that I do think highly of the Vanilla RLC. I just like the Pike that much better! It really is just as plush as the Vanilla, but with more adjustability. Shocking for an air fork.

Good luck with your decision. They're never easy, are they?

J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.