Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Z1FR1 has been a good fork but I've never liked how quickly it ramped up despite running 0psi and lowering oil levels in it. I could never get full travel out of it, and also rarely used the ETA. So along comes the 36 Vanilla, what a work of art and I can already tell I'll be getting about 2" more useable travel out of it......it feels like butta already and I haven't even gotten it off the pavement yet. The fork weighed in at 5.53lbs with axle and uncut steerer tube. The pics will speak for themselves ;) Total bike weight came out to exactly what it was before with the Z1.

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~~
5,918 Posts
:cool: :D

I can't help but feel that fox made the van36 for the RFX/Pack. I've had the same experience with my past few zocchis, zero air preload, don't use the ETA, etc. My comments are probably getting redundant but I have never liked a fork so much before, and a big part of it is the way it compliments the geo of the bike. I'm not about to say this is the perfect fork for everyone, but on the first ride and now a few months later all I can say is that my setup is far superior to anything I've tried before. Major confidence builder.

Perfect suspension performance right out of the box, I'm around 150 loaded down and running the stock spring with minimum compression and preload. Using full travel when I really nose dive landings, no harsh bottoming (not like my pike, which you could hear me bottom from across the forest!). Supple yet I can really grab my front brake and not dive.

It's so hard to try and describe with out sounding like some kind of raving lunatic (especially since I am a lunatic). Looking forward to hearing your comments after your first serious ride on it.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'll definately post a ride report on it soon enough. I weigh 165ish w/gear so the stock spring with a bit of preload should be fine for me. The only thing I'm worried about is if I'll miss the ETA much or not.....especially since the 36 is slightly taller. I did reduce my stem spacers down about 5mm so I really can't tell too much of a difference in the cockpit honestly. Glad to know I wasn't the only one not totally happy with their Z1 (its for sale BTW) ;)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I really liked the Fox Van36 RC2 on my Pack, dont have the frame anymore but still have the fork and will use in on either the new RFX TNT style or perhaps a Nomad. The Fox replaced a Z1 FR, one of the things that I noticed right off is the lack of execessive bobbing like on the Zoke. I never ran any air in the preload chamber, I have always hated this, I much prefer the spring preload that was on my old 03 Z1. Just a tweek of the dial and I could adjust ride height and it still felt very plush. Seems adding air to the new stuff gave me a firmer ride. The Fox doesnt seem to bob when hammering needs to be done. Its very very plush as well, takes the little ripples and chatter bumbs and still soaks up the big square hits. I can wait for a new frame to show up!

·
Registered
51 Posts
FXRob said:
Yeah I'll definately post a ride report on it soon enough. I weigh 165ish w/gear so the stock spring with a bit of preload should be fine for me. The only thing I'm worried about is if I'll miss the ETA much or not.....especially since the 36 is slightly taller. I did reduce my stem spacers down about 5mm so I really can't tell too much of a difference in the cockpit honestly. Glad to know I wasn't the only one not totally happy with their Z1 (its for sale BTW) ;)
any chance of measuring your wheelbase for me? I'd be interested to see how much extra length its picked up before/after the Vans. (thats a medium right?)

Thats my only complaint ATM with my Pikes, too short.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The Fox Vanilla fork is the best fork I have ridden so far, you forget it is there and with no tuning at all, it is better than my last fork that had specific tuning for me, you also get the full 160mm of travel with no harsh bottoming (in fact I only know I have bottomed it due to the position of the zip tie)

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leight said:
any chance of measuring your wheelbase for me? I'd be interested to see how much extra length its picked up before/after the Vans. (thats a medium right?)

Thats my only complaint ATM with my Pikes, too short.
From the center of each axle is just barely shy of 44 1/4". Yes it is a medium frame.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FXRob said:
From the center of each axle is just barely shy of 44 1/4". Yes it is a medium frame.
Thanks mate, thats interesting because my wheelbase with Pikes is almost identical. My mate picked up that this could be because the crowns on the fox's do not set the staunchions forward as much as the Pikes, therefore that offsets the increase in A-C and doesn't actually increase wheelbase much.

Cheers, thats one of my questions sorted. Let us know how they climb steep stuff now ;)

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Wheelbase change with the 36 v. Pike is minimal.

Although I agree that the Pack feels more natural with the taller fork but the action on the Pike is the best I've felt so I'm sticking with it for a little while longer. Did I mention I like the maxle? ;)

We're going to be playing around with one of these which will raise the front end and correct the HA to the more desired position. Will post back when it arrives.

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
Squeaky, that is actualy something really usefull !
I did not know that something like this exists.
Please do not forget to post results.

Later
RaD

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Yes, by about 10mm. Both forks have roughly the same A-C at the same level of travel, so because the 36 Van has 10mm more travel (160 verses 150 on the Zoke), it's also ~10mm taller.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Thanks Tscheezy; now I understand what you were saying in your review from I-Bike, I rembmer you saying the ride height made climbing a challenge. Having a taller fork than the Z-1 FR won't work for me, at least I don't think it would. I leave my 36 RC2 extended most of the time, but it's not as tall as the Z-1 FR. However, on tight trails it's nice to shorten the travel to about 130mm.

I think the new Talas 2 cartridge will be a perfect upgrade for my fork and it will extend the travel to 160mm. I liked the ride height of my pack with the 05 Z-1 FR, I think that was just about right. Thanks for the response.
turtle

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:

Although I agree that the Pack feels more natural with the taller fork but the action on the Pike is the best I've felt so I'm sticking with it for a little while longer. Did I mention I like the maxle? ;)

We're going to be playing around with one of these which will raise the front end and correct the HA to the more desired position. Will post back when it arrives.
That awesome didn't know they were available, cheers.

I heard from the Sram importer here in Aus that the new RS 38's are only coming out in 1.5" steerer?? I find it hard to believe that we would get that sort of info down here before you guys and harder to believe that RS would limit themselves to 1.5".

Have you guys heard anything? I was trying to find that spy pic someone (tscheezy?) had of the 38's (couldn't find it) and seem to recall they were on a 11/8" tube.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Leight said:

I heard from the Sram importer here in Aus that the new RS 38's are only coming out in 1.5" steerer?? I find it hard to believe that we would get that sort of info down here before you guys and harder to believe that RS would limit themselves to 1.5".

Have you guys heard anything? I was trying to find that spy pic someone (tscheezy?) had of the 38's (couldn't find it) and seem to recall they were on a 11/8" tube.
That's not something I've heard. I'll see if I can get more info. I'm counting on the 38 being 1 1/8" steerer tube and RS would certainly eliminate a ton of potentional market by not offering it in that size.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Leight said:

The bike at Interbike had a 1 1/8" steerer. I believe they will come in both 1 1/8" and 1.5".

As for the upper tubes, they are 40mm not 38mm.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Squeaky Wheel said:

I've owned a Pike coil before so I'll be able to make a comparison as far as dampening/feel goes. I think that thicker headset crown race is a trick idea and may serve quite a good purpose for people wanting to extend their A/C height. However you're still comparing 140mm of travel versus 160mm, quite a big difference and with very little weight penalty also. The 36 Vanilla feels extremely smooth, I will be riding it tomorrow or Sunday and post a report on it then.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
FXRob said:
However you're still comparing 140mm of travel versus 160mm, quite a big difference and with very little weight penalty also.
No question. 20mm of travel is a big difference.
Both are silky smooth. Pike is better damped, almost 1/2 lbs lighter, has better bottom-out control, is user-serviceable, significantly cheaper and has the maxle (have I mentioned that I like it?)

Depends on your style & usage I guess. I'm more on the aggressive trailride end of the spectrum as opposed to FR. I'd like to have more travel but am valuing quality over quantity :)

I'm holding out for the RS 38.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Real men...

As a 240lb weakling, I find my new Van36 a little undersprung. Have any other real men switched out springs? Did you get it right first time out?

I found my Vanilla R a real sod to get right in the spring rate department it always felt 20lb over- or undersprung - and bodged up a 'tender' spring to replace the plastic spacer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts