Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my 575, I was pretty happy with the Fox Vanilla RL. After my last ride (about 2 months of riding), I noticed the shock was real sluggish on the rebound and I am able to just about compress it completely by pushing down on the handlebars. (Obviously the fork needs to be serviced anyway.) I am about 200 lbs. and understand that they have a heavier spring available. Is this fork worth any additional investment/effort, or should I just upgrade? Any suggestions from "bigger" Yeti 575 Enduro owners are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
b_chance5 said:
When I first bought my 575, I was pretty happy with the Fox Vanilla RL. After my last ride (about 2 months of riding), I noticed the shock was real sluggish on the rebound and I am able to just about compress it completely by pushing down on the handlebars. (Obviously the fork needs to be serviced anyway.) I am about 200 lbs. and understand that they have a heavier spring available. Is this fork worth any additional investment/effort, or should I just upgrade? Any suggestions from "bigger" Yeti 575 Enduro owners are appreciated.

Thanks!
Get yourself a Marzocchi AM1. You can pick them up on ebay for about $400 for an 05. 5-6" travel. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Get the heavier spring from Fox, change the oil, and see how it does. It should be a low investment and worth the money (less than $50). I rid e a Marzzochi Marathon XC on my ASR-SL and a Vanilla on my 575. They both feel great but the Fox may require a little maintenance every now and then.

·
EDR
10,421 Posts
Pike it! Or AM1 it!

If you have no desire to get a little more travel and balance out the bike then maybe just service your Fox, but if your looking for an upgrade do one of these.

I run the Pike coil w/uturn, very sweet. I'm on the stock spring and am about 190lbs, I've have had thoughts of getting a stiffer spring but I like the fact that I use all of the travel a few times a ride, so for now, i'm good.

Honestly I never gave the Vanilla a chance, swapped it out during the build so I can't really comment on the ride differences. The Pike also requires a 20mm axel but has the awesome Maxel QR 20mm set up, I love it...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I say service it and change the spring - unless you ride gnarly stuff and want to go with something with 6 or 7".

I love my Vanilla. Contemplated going to a talas for tiny weight savings and the ability to turn down the travel on climbs, but the vanilla's has been too good to me to justify the price to 'upgrade.'

·
Registered
33 Posts
I second the the Pike I have 454 dual air on my 575 and it is awsome I think it is perfect for the 575 I had a Vanilla on the bike before the Pike and it was nice but not in the same league as the Pike!

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Your call based on $$$

I went through a nearly identical experience.

Option number 1: Spring from Fox. I built up my 575 with an '05 Vanilla 130mm and immediately put in the stiffest spring. Night and day difference for the better! Call up Fox and order it directly from them. If I recall correctly, it was around $27 delivered.

Option number 2: Order yourself a RS Pike. Whichever flavor you get is dependent upon the depth of your wallet. I got the SL and was extremely happy with it. The extra travel fits perfectly with the travel of the 575. The extra pound over the Vanilla is well worth it.

Michael

·
Registered
45 Posts
Service

Service the fork along with a new spring. I have a stiffer spring for over a year and it still works like new. I also have considered getting it PUSHed just to see as long as you have to put money into service, you might want to send it in to PUSH and get it all done custom for less money than a new fork. Forget all that if you want more travel. I like the AM series because it keeps a QR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.