Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been two and a half years since I purchased my Vanilla R. Lately I've noticed that the travel on my fork has lost its buttery smooth action it once had. So, I am planning on doing some maintenance by replacing the oil in my fork. Can someone please help me understand the impact of not having the proper amount of oil specially in the damping side of the fork. I believe the recommended amount of oil for the damping side is 150cc. For example:

What is the consequence of not having enough oil in your fork?
What is the consequence of having too much oil in your fork?

Thanks in advance.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
nykat said:
What is the consequence of not having enough oil in your fork?
What is the consequence of having too much oil in your fork?

Thanks in advance.
Not having enough oil means it's going to bottom excessively. Having too much oil means it'll be harder to compress, and won't use the entire range of travel.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If you're careful and take your time letting it drain, you can put up to 160cc. I would put as much as possible in and take some out if you're not getting full travel. Once you have it all back together, bounce it a few times without the main spring to see if it's getting all the travel (within about 5mm of the crown). If it's not, just squirt a little oil out the top by removing the damping top cap, wrap it with a rag and cycling the rod a couple times.

Also, the manual calls for 30cc on the spring side but you can put a lot more without affecting travel. Try 50cc for more lubrication.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.