Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to lighten up my bike a bit. The first area I plan to attack is the portly Fox Vanilla 100RLC fork. I have a little time on a Float, and thought it felt just about as good as my Vanilla... which got me thinking. Is it possible to remove the coils and add an air valve and turn my 'nilla into a stealthy VanillaFloat? If so would the weight be comparable or is the nilla built beefier?
fezzy

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Fezzy said:
Im looking to lighten up my bike a bit. The first area I plan to attack is the portly Fox Vanilla 100RLC fork. I have a little time on a Float, and thought it felt just about as good as my Vanilla... which got me thinking. Is it possible to remove the coils and add an air valve and turn my 'nilla into a stealthy VanillaFloat? If so would the weight be comparable or is the nilla built beefier?
fezzy
I tried that last year and it's not going to work. The stachion tubes are thicker so the Float air piston won't fit on the inside of the Vanilla uppers. Maybe look at a Minute 2.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Homebrew said:
I tried that last year and it's not going to work. The stachion tubes are thicker so the Float air piston won't fit on the inside of the Vanilla uppers. Maybe look at a Minute 2.
Too bad, would of been super stealthy if I got the new F100x upgrade...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Call Fox techs to confirm...

Homebrew said:

No offense Homebrew, but I just spoke directly to Fox about this and they said the Float, Vanilla and Talas all share identical uppers&lowers and the switch would be no problem, I even confirmed it with a service technician because I wanted to be absolutely positive (Mmmmm all black Talas). The tech I spoke to said that a few of them have assembled their own all black Talas's for their personal bikes.
The only problem for me, is I have to have a Fox service center perform the task because the Talas air spring internals are not user servicable, but from my understanding the Vanilla/Float swap should be easy for anyone who can service a fork.

Fezzy I suggest you get on the horn to Fox @ 1-800-FOX-SHOX and talk to a tech, If its anything different from what I just said please report back to this thread and let me know ASAP. I just ordered a Talas & Vanilla and if Fox lied I'm going to do some Fox hunting (with a fork in each hand) :D :D

manic mechanic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks manic. I will be calling them first thing tomorrow. Probably what I should of done in the first place.
fezzy

·
Luddite technophile
302 Posts
how much?

Fezzy said:
Thanks manic. I will be calling them first thing tomorrow. Probably what I should of done in the first place.
fezzy
If it works out, could you post back and let us know how much they're going to charge?

thanks.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
manic mechanic said:
No offense Homebrew, but I just spoke directly to Fox about this and they said the Float, Vanilla and Talas all share identical uppers&lowers and the switch would be no problem, I even confirmed it with a service technician because I wanted to be absolutely positive (Mmmmm all black Talas). The tech I spoke to said that a few of them have assembled their own all black Talas's for their personal bikes.
The only problem for me, is I have to have a Fox service center perform the task because the Talas air spring internals are not user servicable, but from my understanding the Vanilla/Float swap should be easy for anyone who can service a fork.

Fezzy I suggest you get on the horn to Fox @ 1-800-FOX-SHOX and talk to a tech, If its anything different from what I just said please report back to this thread and let me know ASAP. I just ordered a Talas & Vanilla and if Fox lied I'm going to do some Fox hunting (with a fork in each hand) :D :D

manic mechanic.
Assuming the Fox tech is correct, it must only apply to newer Vanillas. Mine had thicker stanchions (same o.d. but smaller i.d.) than the Float. I would triple check it will work for your fork first. You can look at your Vanilla to see if yours has the thicker stanchions. If you look down the top cap on the spring side and the inner wall of the stachions flares inward, you're out of luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just spoke to a sales guy at Fox and got shut down. He said he never heard of anyone swapping a Vanilla to air and that the cost of the F100x cartridge alone was $225. Maybe I will try calling later to talk to someone different.
fezzy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts