Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change set up on heckler from agressive xc to an all mountain thrasher with 5" of travel.

What would you recommend on the front end and the rear? considering a Fox vanilla&5th element coil. any input or advice would rock.

thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
You're talking current model of Heckler or the older

version? I've got both, but on the newer (02) Heckler I went with a 5th coil and Marzocchi Z1FR with 20mm axle. However, if I were getting a fork right now I'd think hard about the Maverick DUC32 (and probably stick with the 5th coil, but if the air is more reliable these days maybe that could be interesting).

I have other Marzocchis and wanted 20mm so didn't consider the Vanilla long. How do you have yours set up now? I think of mine as aggressive XC now...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've got a Vanilla 125R and a 5th coil on my '03 Heckler. I bought the 2.25" stroke which translates into 5.5" of rear wheel travel. It's really nice and plush. Don't go for the 5th Air if you're interested in a really aggressive XC bike. It can't take the drops and jumps - either it'll bottom out too easily or your ride will be very harsh to compensate. The 5th coil is much better suited for aggressive use because you can easily dial in the appropriate compression damping without compromising suppleness. This combo has worked well for me even downhilling on some pretty extreme hills. It'll be fine for aggressive XC.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bikinfoolferlife said:
version? I've got both, but on the newer (02) Heckler I went with a 5th coil and Marzocchi Z1FR with 20mm axle. However, if I were getting a fork right now I'd think hard about the Maverick DUC32 (and probably stick with the 5th coil, but if the air is more reliable these days maybe that could be interesting).

I have other Marzocchis and wanted 20mm so didn't consider the Vanilla long. How do you have yours set up now? I think of mine as aggressive XC now...

This is an 04' Heckler that i bought used, like new. Right now there is a fox float 100RLC in front and a SID air shock in the rear which has created a steeper head angle=quicker turning. I want to go for a set up that will allow more confidence, meaning, more air and larger/harder landings. I will be doing everything with this rig

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
My best friend has an '04 with a Fox Talas and the coil 5th element and that setup ROCKS! I agree with the other post, don't get the 5th air, the coil version is the way to go if ya go BIG! The Talas has a straight spring rate like the Vanilla and the same travel at about 1/4 lb less AND you can adjust the travel down to 90 mm when you get in tight XC stuff that requires steeper headtube angles; the best of BOTH worlds! NO question in my mind that is the best setup for that bike.

G MAN

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Geometry preferences.

rjheckler said:
Looking to change set up on heckler from agressive xc to an all mountain thrasher with 5" of travel.

What would you recommend on the front end and the rear? considering a Fox vanilla&5th element coil. any input or advice would rock.

thanks
A fellow mechanic at the shop had the Fox RLC 5" on his Heckler with a 5th. He felt it was a little too steep a head angle combination for his liking. The Fox has a slightly shorter crown to axle distance and a -1 degree steering angle than most other 5" forks. He replaced it with a Firefly which made the bike a little more stable in rough terrain and drops. He liked the Fox's damping characteristics, but it was a little too XC in its geometry for his liking.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I've never heard that one before, not that it can't be true. But it certainly comes down to personal preference. Going to a shorty riser stem will do a LOT more for stability than worrying about a possible 1 deg steeper head angle. Then again, I PREFER a steeper angle for quicker response. I even drop the stanchions in the crowns of my 8" Stratos all the way to achieve the steepest angle possible with my already slack Intense M1. A Stratos engineer turned me on to that trick and said a lot of top freeriders do it. I guess it's what your most comfortable with. I'd go slack on something like the course at Big Bear where tight turns aren't a problem but no way do I go real slack on the expert course at Mt. Hood because that has some tight stuff.

L8,

G MAN

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
Gman086 said:
I've never heard that one before, not that it can't be true. But it certainly comes down to personal preference. Going to a shorty riser stem will do a LOT more for stability than worrying about a possible 1 deg steeper head angle. Then again, I PREFER a steeper angle for quicker response. I even drop the stanchions in the crowns of my 8" Stratos all the way to achieve the steepest angle possible with my already slack Intense M1. A Stratos engineer turned me on to that trick and said a lot of top freeriders do it. I guess it's what your most comfortable with. I'd go slack on something like the course at Big Bear where tight turns aren't a problem but no way do I go real slack on the expert course at Mt. Hood because that has some tight stuff.

L8,

G MAN
One degree does make a difference - probably translates to about 1" difference in fork heights. The Fox has a 495mm a-c height vs. say a Z1 @ 518mm. A shorter stem on a bike w/ a steep head angle will only cause the steering to become more sensetive.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
keen said:
One degree does make a difference - probably translates to about 1" difference in fork heights. The Fox has a 495mm a-c height vs. say a Z1 @ 518mm. A shorter stem on a bike w/ a steep head angle will only cause the steering to become more sensetive.
Anyone else have a problem riding Fox forks??? I'll take the better damping over a slightly steeper head angle ANY DAY!!!

G MAN

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Why not have both?

Gman086 said:
Anyone else have a problem riding Fox forks??? I'll take the better damping over a slightly steeper head angle ANY DAY!!!

G MAN
The steeper head angle deal was only mentioned as one of the elements on some of the Fox forks. Steeper head angle is not always a negative. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your bike's geometry. For those wanting a slightly slacker head angle, they don't have to sacrifice good damping with some of the other quality forks. The right tool for the job is the only issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts