Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a brand new '05 vanilla and put it on my heckler. I had to change out the stock spring for the next heavier one. Prior to changing the spring the lockout worked great. I also believe the lockout worked fine after changing the spring.

Here's the problem: I was adjusting the lower blowoff valve setting and now I can no longer get the fork to completely lock out. When I flip the lever it gets much stiffer, but i am still able to compress it. I've tried all different settings on the blow off valve but no luck. Whats the deal? I've also noticed small amounts of oil on the uppers, is that normal? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
need2ski9 said:
Here's the problem: I was adjusting the lower blowoff valve setting and now I can no longer get the fork to completely lock out. When I flip the lever it gets much stiffer, but i am still able to compress it. I've tried all different settings on the blow off valve but no luck. Whats the deal? I've also noticed small amounts of oil on the uppers, is that normal?
Even when locked out, you will still be able to compress the fork somewhat. From your description, it's hard to say whether what you are seeing is normal or not.

How much oil are you seeing on the stanchions? Using the stock Fox seals, it's normal for there to be a light film of oil on the stanchions. When you start seeing larger amounts, it's time to replace them. I've been running the Enduro Seals for a couple of months now and am very impressed so far. After about a year's worth of use with the Fox seals, I was wiping away a sludgy mess from the stanchions after each ride. Now that I'm using the Enduro seals, I'm wiping away just dust. If any oil has made it past the Enduro seals, it's an imperceptible amount.

If you've lost too much oil, this could affect the lockout performance of your fork. You might consider opening up the damping (right) side and adding 5-10cc of oil.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Also is it possible the lockout dial (the middle blue one with a tab) got somehow rotated out of the shaft that it hasn't been reaching the true lockout position? 3 small balls installed inside the lockout dial needs to be evenly pushed out, in order for the lever not to skip the shaft. Maybe it's worth looking at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just seeing a small film of oil, so I guess thats ok. As far as the lockout thing, here's something strange that happened. With the fork locked out, i adjusted the blowoff valve at the bottom near the dropout. During the adjustment I heard a slight hiss of air and is seemed to come from the valve. I reclosed the valve, turned the lockout switch off, and tried to compress the fork. It compressed less than it was before hand, but is still compressing more than it had when I first got it. Im also noticing a slight clunking noise coming from the spring when i compress the fork in the normal mode. It almost sounds like that plastic spacer is moving around a bit above the top of the coil..I hope i didnt break anything...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.