Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy attacked my friends on a trail in Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland very early on Wednesday morning (6:30am). He chased several down a trail, tried to push several off the trail, and throw the bikes off the trail. Someone doubled back to get a photo. The guy yelled "it's your word against mine!". Is this Vandeman? The online photos are years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Great, now I need to ride with a camera while MTBing, too? Already do it on my road bike.

Might be him. Very difficult to say.

Hope your friends instantly reported him, although chances of OPD showing up quickly enough to question him are unlikely.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Also, sounds like there are plenty of direct witnesses, so it's not just a "your word against mine."

Going to be difficult to ID someone like that unless you discreetly follow them to their car and then grab video of them entering their car and catch the license plate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nextdoor is an interesting idea. Most people will just get riled up that we are riding bikes at all.

Tempting to beat the guy's ass, or bear spray or something. There's a bit of a shock when things turn physical. I think some guys just bombed right through him and others got into a wrestling contest on a narrow trail with a cliff on one side. They went looking for him again this morning but no luck. OPD isn't going to do anything. If there are more encounters with him, though, I expect things will go a little differently.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Nextdoor is an interesting idea. Most people will just get riled up that we are riding bikes at all.

Tempting to beat the guy's ass, or bear spray or something. There's a bit of a shock when things turn physical. I think some guys just bombed right through him and others got into a wrestling contest on a narrow trail with a cliff on one side. They went looking for him again this morning but no luck. OPD isn't going to do anything. If there are more encounters with him, though, I expect things will go a little differently.
I certainly hope so. Otherwise, what kinda gentlemen are we mountain bikers? Self defense is gentlemanly, right?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Even if OPD won't do anything now, filing a report with the photo can be very helpful when in the future this happens again (and it will).

Remember that LA doctor that road raged on two cyclists causing serious injury? The fact that there was a previous filed police report of him led prosecutors to file charges against him.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Even if OPD won't do anything now, filing a report with the photo can be very helpful when in the future this happens again (and it will).

Remember that LA doctor that road raged on two cyclists causing serious injury? The fact that there was a previous filed police report of him led prosecutors to file charges against him.
^^^-this is sensible. By all means file the report.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.