Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
headed to whistler sept 4-8. there are four of us and we are trying to figure out the best way to get up whistler. this is what i have found so far...

the whistler bus would work but we would have to walk/hike from where we are dropped to where we are staying (cedar ridge) and would be $650 round trip with bikes

budget has a 15 person van that we would fit in but that is $820ish

we could squeeze into two mid size suvs for $500-550

a mini van is 300ish, can we get 4 bike boxes in a mini van? i kinda doubt it.

a large suv is 350ish, can we fit in a tahoe?

we really don't need a car when we are there but if we can fit and it is cheaper then it is a no brainer. any other suggestions? is there something that most people do that i am missing? i wonder if we could get 2 or 3 bikes inside the mini van/tahoe and then strap 1 or 2 to the top? obviously the bikes will all be in boxes/cases. thanks

pv

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just returned from there a few weeks ago. Three of us with hard cases fit into a mini van.
Having the vehicle was worth it. We stopped in Squamish for groceries, went to Mount Seymour for a day and back to Squamish for two days of riding as well.
With four guys and four bikes, you are going to need to use really small boxes, better yet, use cardboard boxes and you should have no trouble fitting it all in a minivan. If not, bring some good rope, draw straws to see who ties their bike to the roof.

Eric

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
We had four guys

12 passenger van, 4 bike boxes and gear and we barely all fit. Your trip is short I would suggest just taking the bus, it makes multiple stops around the village, just figure which one is best for you. keep in mind the bus trip is close to three hours with all the stops in vancouver. If you were staying longer I would suggest renting a van so you could ride the shore and squamish.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Also look into the U-Haul Van (small van). I think they are like $20.00 a day. You may be able to pick one up in Vancouver and drop it of in Whistler and vise versa. But what ever you find, let us know. I am planning on going there from Ak next summer.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info. i have confidence in my strapping ability so the mini van or larger suv might work. although i really like the u-haul idea. although 3 hours with four dudes in a single cab u-haul might be a long trip. but maybe a u-haul and econo box might be cheaper than a larger suv...

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
I went to whistler a couple weeks ago with some friends. I arrived 2 days later than the rest and didnt want to lose more time, so I just took the Whistler shuttle (pacific coach) that you find in YVR. Cost me around 65 bucks.

You can also find someone to shuttle with from vancouver. A friend of mine tagged along with Epic Rides - Summer | Main Its just a one dude from vancouver who hits whistler on his spare time . He has a van with a trailer, and he charges pretty damn cheap to take you there. Maybe you could send him and e-mail and sort something out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i'll do that. i thought i had it figured out. was going to rent a mid or standard size sum and then the smallest trailer U-haul had for the bikes. unfortunately, don't think any of the rental places allow you to tow anything.

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
you could also take the grayhound, its around 35 bucks bikes included. and remember, take spare parts with you! breaking stuff up there is pretty expensive..

·
Registered
207 Posts
I haven't had the best luck renting vehicles outside of the US. I rented a car in Vancouver, drove it to Whistler where it sat until I drove it back to YVR. They tried to stiff me with a fee for dropping off at the airport despite me asking that question repeatedly and also tried to say I scratched the car. I paid none of it but it was getting ugly at Avis by the time they backed down. I'd go for the bus.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, last year they stuck me with a few extra fees that really added up. like the extra driver that was never used and they didn't tell me how much it was per day. that was irritating to say the least. i have to admit i'm not that excited to ride the bus. i want to be on my schedule and not someones else. plus we want to stop and get food for while we are there and the bus makes the a little harder. i'm old enough at this point i'll pay a little more for convenience...)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another option for the future is to fly to Bellingham, WA or Sea-Tac, rent a car & drive across the border. That's what I do when I visit family or go home to ride. Most of the time there are cheaper tickets for those airports than YVR. The only pain in the ass thing is if you cross at the Peace Arch at rush hour and/or don't have a Nexus pass.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
flying into seattle is another option but means longer drive times. although would probably get there fast since i don't have to wait on a layover or go through customs. something to consider...

do you have a name or number of the van shuttles?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just checked my ticket info and it is two hours from when i land in seattle to when i land in vancouver. think it takes about two hours to make that same drive? so it is a wash. only thing that might be easier is not having to go through customs but then you have to deal with the border. probably a wash also. as far as price goes it would be the same for me. i used miles and it is 25,000 to either seattle or vancouver.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just checked that bus service and they want $151 round trip. not sure if that includes bikes but that is at least 600 for the four of us.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
i just checked that bus service and they want $151 round trip. not sure if that includes bikes but that is at least 600 for the four of us.
Okay, maybe not the cheapest. FWIW, we just did it one way and took the big bus back to the airport and on second thought it seems like it was around $60 each which would've been $300 for the 5 of us...a little spendy but once we were there I don't think we would have used a rental car if we had one. For the bus trip back a shuttle picked us up @ our condo and delivered us to the hotel where the bus picked us up. Maybe you could round up another person or 2 to share the ride (and expense) with. There was definitely plenty of room for 1 or 2 more on the way up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts