Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is a response I received from Edwin of Van Dessel, in response to a Buzz Bomb question I emailed him (see last week's sandbagger thread)...

The Buzz Bomb is pretty much a thing of the past though, we've decided to step up the frames a good notch:

We are introducing the 'Ramble Tamble' along with the 'Jersey Devil' and 'Jersey Devil FS' at Pedro's Fest July 28-30. These will take the place of the Buzz Bomb. The frames are a lot more high-performance than the Buzz Bomb. While those were intended as "all mountain" bikes that are indestructible and still race worthy, these are intended to be fast, light, and definitely aim to please the more competitive crowd. All are still 29ers.

Ramble Tamble - an upgraded version of the Buzz Bomb HT, with eccentric BB, Rohloff OE dropout, and derailleur hanger. The tubeset has been upspec'd
quite a bit with extreme butting and shaping to make the bikes a good deal lighter while maximizing lateral stiffness. ($599 frame & HS only)

Jersey Devil - a derailleur only version of the Ramble Tamble, with carbon seat stays. ($899 frame & HS only), not SS compatible to minimize frame weight.

Jersey Devil FS - a full suspension version of the hard tail Jersey Devil, with 4" of rear travel. ($999 frame & HS only) Suspension design is still the same, but the frame itself is a lot higher end.

Best,
Edwin Bull
Van Dessel Sport
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
hmmmm..........I wonder how many they'll have to demo there?

IMO Pedrosfest is a big rip-off, but that's just my take on it. Too damned expensive, especially if you want to bring your children to the event.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edwin brought bikes out to Monterey for Sea Otter for the first time last year, but I guess that was pretty expensive coming from New Jersey.

I haven't been to Pedro Fest, but I get the sense they would like to duplicate the "trade show" feel of Sea Otter. Seems like a good way to have an Interbike-style event for the general public.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
The thing that gets my goat with Pedros fest is the prices they charge for kids to attend the event. I mean their prices for kids are ridiculous. It should be free for kids - that will help get more young people into the sport don't you think?
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much is Pedros?

They went from charging a parking fee @ Sea Otter to a system of free parking but paid admissions. I think it's around $15 a day, but with race entry we get two passes that are good all four days of the event.

Sea Otter can be worth the price... hell, I'd maybe pay the admission price just to get ahold of an MTBR raffle ticket for each afternoon's drawing. Usually get a few worthwhile sneak peeks and new bling, and more bike demos than I care to throw a leg over (this past year was an exception -- mud scared all the demo fleets back into their company trailers).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,250 Posts
some additional info from Van Dessel

I had emailed Edwin for some more details - here is his email reply. I don't think he would mind me posting this since anyone that would contact them would get the same info.
I has sent him a follow-up email asking if there will be any SRAM spec'd builds.

The XL has a top tube of 62cm = 24.4" (L has a 60cm top tube = 23.6")

We will have pictures available at the end of the month (as well as exact weights)

Color will be green with pearl white panels.

Below is a picture of the CAD drawing with full details.

Tough to read, but basically it's:

Top tube = 62cm
Head tube = 13cm
Seat Angle = 74deg
Head Angle = 72deg
Rear Wheel travel = 100mm

The bike is available as frame, framesets, or complete bikes, with complete bike prices ranging from $2499 to $4299.

The build with White Bros Magic 29 fork, Fox Float R, Shimano XT/XTR, Ritchey Pro is $2999. The $4299 build is full XTR with RP3 shock, Ritchey WCS, American Classic 29er disc wheels, and Stan's tubeless tires.

Best,
Edwin

Speedub.Nate said:
The following is a response I received from Edwin of Van Dessel, in response to a Buzz Bomb question I emailed him (see last week's sandbagger thread)...

The Buzz Bomb is pretty much a thing of the past though, we've decided to step up the frames a good notch:

We are introducing the 'Ramble Tamble' along with the 'Jersey Devil' and 'Jersey Devil FS' at Pedro's Fest July 28-30. These will take the place of the Buzz Bomb. The frames are a lot more high-performance than the Buzz Bomb. While those were intended as "all mountain" bikes that are indestructible and still race worthy, these are intended to be fast, light, and definitely aim to please the more competitive crowd. All are still 29ers.

Ramble Tamble - an upgraded version of the Buzz Bomb HT, with eccentric BB, Rohloff OE dropout, and derailleur hanger. The tubeset has been upspec'd
quite a bit with extreme butting and shaping to make the bikes a good deal lighter while maximizing lateral stiffness. ($599 frame & HS only)

Jersey Devil - a derailleur only version of the Ramble Tamble, with carbon seat stays. ($899 frame & HS only), not SS compatible to minimize frame weight.

Jersey Devil FS - a full suspension version of the hard tail Jersey Devil, with 4" of rear travel. ($999 frame & HS only) Suspension design is still the same, but the frame itself is a lot higher end.

Best,
Edwin Bull
Van Dessel Sport
 

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,019 Posts
Add ~1/2" to that toptube to compare the bike bit to other bikes with 73º seat tube angles.

Makes it close to a Surly Karate Monkey in fit and steering, just longer front travel and more out back. The longish headtube (for a 29"er at least) should ban the use of the evil riser bar :)

Dented seat tube, nice!

Funny, the drawing shows a 45mm fork rake, is seems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
How much is Pedros?
Pedros is $75.00 for the weekend for adults and $30 for kids between 6-11. Kids under 6 are free. This is the before July 15th price. Bump it up another $5 if you decide to go after the 15th.

So if you are a 12 year old kid it costs the same as an adult - that's just not right in my book.

So if I wanted to go with my two sons it would cost me $135.00! No way Jose!

You can go for a day and that is $40.00 for an adult and $15 for kids between 6-12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
The following is a response I received from Edwin of Van Dessel, in response to a Buzz Bomb question I emailed him (see last week's sandbagger thread)...

The Buzz Bomb is pretty much a thing of the past though,


WHAT the Efffff!?!?!?
I love my (SS) Buzz Bomb, in fact I would like to get another to build it up as a geared bike for when I get back to the mountains of NH. I currently have a custom Ti hardtail 26" hanging in my bud's basement for use when I come visit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
hmmmm

MMcG said:
Pedros is $75.00 for the weekend for adults and $30 for kids between 6-11. Kids under 6 are free. This is the before July 15th price. Bump it up another $5 if you decide to go after the 15th.

So if you are a 12 year old kid it costs the same as an adult - that's just not right in my book.

So if I wanted to go with my two sons it would cost me $135.00! No way Jose!

You can go for a day and that is $40.00 for an adult and $15 for kids between 6-12.
No the price is $60 before the price jumps to $75 which is a bit better...however the lack of t-shirt along with your swag bag is a downer...some good trails if you get out a bit from the camping area across the road...the current venue is much better than where they use to hold the event 4 or 5 years ago on a guys farm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
bozizle said:
No the price is $60 before the price jumps to $75 which is a bit better...however the lack of t-shirt along with your swag bag is a downer...some good trails if you get out a bit from the camping area across the road...the current venue is much better than where they use to hold the event 4 or 5 years ago on a guys farm.
My info came right from the Pedrosfest web site. I think you are quoting 2005 prices.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be honest, I'd rather see a 2.0" stroke shock on there, too.

Face it, 29"er riders are going to be, on average, heavier than 26" riders. A 1.5" stroke shock on a 4" suspension can net some pretty high main chamber pressures for riders above the 200 pound threshold.

A 2.0" shock, by comparison, can reduce the main chamber pressure requirement by 33%. That's pretty significant.

My previous FS, with 4.5" x 1.5", I ran at ~245 psi. Its replacement, at 5.0" x 2.0" (same model shock) runs at around 180 psi.

An with the right shock (specifically one with a chamber volume adjustment) and at reduced pressures, the rider has greater opportunity to modify the spring curve. At higher pressures, even with a volume adjustment, the suspension will ramp up more quickly and be more difficult to tune.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top