Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, more than ever, I've seen a lot of my friends get a 'sprinter' van and convert it. Some live in it and seize the day. Others get away as often as they can.

Many of them do the work themselves.

Can you share photos, builds and ideas? Wish list? Lessons learned? Let's build a knowledge base here of how to get it done.

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I prefer to keep mine mostly empty. If I need to sleep, I'll take a folding cot or use a yoga matt.

I've considered buying some tent fabric or something that would allow me to keep doors/windows open and mosquitos out, but that's about it as far as modifications.

20150620_121632.jpg

·
I should be out riding
1,857 Posts
I prefer to keep mine mostly empty. If I need to sleep, I'll take a folding cot or use a yoga matt.

I've considered buying some tent fabric or something that would allow me to keep doors/windows open and mosquitos out, but that's about it as far as modifications.

View attachment 1090855
What is your bike rack setup? And which van?

·
Not smart enough to shift
452 Posts
Work in progress

IMG_5687.jpg

Not long after I brought it home. Doing a buildout for a family of four plus our dog. I did some of the work and it is now at Van Specialties getting the rest of the work done.

-A

·
Registered
127 Posts
20160826_145554.jpg

20160827_185519.jpg

Just bought this, this weekend. So far so good, I'm looking into roof mounted awnings and a cargo box up there. Plans plans plans.
No idea about the sideways pics.:madman:

Edit: Thanks for the pic fix fc!

·
I should be out riding
1,857 Posts
This year, more than ever, I've seen a lot of my friends get a 'sprinter' van and convert it. Some live in it and seize the day. Others get away as often as they can.

Many of them do the work themselves.

Can you share photos, builds and ideas? Wish list? Lessons learned? Let's build a knowledge base here of how to get it done.

fc
Great topic. Much better than 'are plus bikes for beginners'.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
What is your bike rack setup? And which van?
I just use a feedback rack and 2 bungee cords. Very simple and works well for 1 bike on each side.

A friend of mine has a pipeline rack. It's a far better setup, but it does take up more room.

I have a 130" wheelbase low roof ford transit. My friends below is a 148" medium roof ford transit.

Screenshot_2016-05-19-13-24-26.jpg

·
Mtbr Founder
34,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Less is more!

Mine's more of a tiny van life,camping trip kinda thing BUT it fits in the garage and averages close to 30 mpg! Nissan NV200

--- Ken Bennett

NV200 is on the left
6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d0df8c31970c-800wi.jpg

NV200 setup
14188446_10209247952650312_4228448829638076786_o.jpg

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
I've been researching for years and I'm going to pull the trigger this Fall. Mid height Ford Transit passenger van with typical elevated bed with bikes below. Insulated, wood ceiling and walls. Ceiling fan, solar, 12v fridge. Metal cabinets similar to this one I saw a couple of years ago.

SC Bed.jpg SC Cabinets.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not a Sprinter

Not a DIY, and may be old school nowadays. This is my 2001 Ford Econoline E-250, with camper conversion by GTRV. Sleeps 4, hauls 4 bikes. Equipped with stove, fridge & sink. It's my adventuremobile.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My 50 dolla 1996 Grand Voyager, works quite well after staying in it more nights than i can count. The brilliant part is how i can use the seatbelts to secure the bikes :).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
What a great thread. I love seeing these conversions and the creativity that goes into them. I'd love to get one myself some day.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts