Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a rookie, so be easy on me :) I recently got my MTB and it has Mavic wheels (sticker on the wheels says F519, maybe the wheel set will help you determine maybe the tube I'm talking about) and I went to add a little air and it has a different valve stem assembly. I'm not sure about it. The air came out quick when I started to turn the assembly. It almost looks it has the little tool to remove schrader valve attached to the top of it. Here's a picture of it. Sorry my digital camera is not that great. How do I add air using this type of valve. I'm glad I did this now instead of on the trail, lol.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Attachments

G

·
That's a Presta valve. To add air just remove the plastic cap, and then loosen the knurled stem in the middle of the valve. From there you'll need a pump with the presta adaptor. Most bike pumps can be swapped in a minute or so. it's hard to explain w/o actually seeing the pump you have. If you have an old school pump you can buy a little metal adaptor from your LBS that will allow you to use a regular schrader pump to add air to you Presta valve.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
It's a Presta style stem and you need a pump that has a head for that type of stem. The "car-style" stem is called Schraeder. Most bike pumps currently on the market have some method of adapting for Presta - either two outlets on the head, a head that can be taken apart and reassembled to suit and there are a few that accept both types.

You normally don't remove the whole assembly, just loosen the little knob until it's open all the way. When the proper pump is attached, air pressure from the pump side forces its way through the check valve.

Kn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.