Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you who have invested in nightriding systems feel like you get your moneys worth ? Do you use them frequently or were they a whim that you utilize a few times a year to justify the expense ? I think I will take the plunge. Up to this point, I feel that I have never waisted a single dollar on bikes and related equipment. Just about everything I have ever purchased has been thoroughly used and abused.

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
You sound like you haven't ridden at night yet. IMO its an exciting experience! It changes the same ol' trail you are used to riding.

I use an HID off road and a halogen on road. The HID will affect your bike computer and possibly a heart rate monitor. The halogen is not as bright, uses more power, and drains the battery faster but is less expensive.

L&M ARC here too. See below...

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Value of Riding...

Oldhippie said:
How many of you who have invested in nightriding systems feel like you get your moneys worth ? Do you use them frequently or were they a whim that you utilize a few times a year to justify the expense ? I think I will take the plunge. Up to this point, I feel that I have never waisted a single dollar on bikes and related equipment. Just about everything I have ever purchased has been thoroughly used and abused.
Four things my superb L&M HID Arc set-up have offered:

1- Extending the riding day into the evening (very nice in the cooler weather to start later & end later, as it's warmer here in Santa Fe, NM in the afternoon / evening.)

2- Start pre-dawn in the hot weather; as I am indeed a freaky early a.m. kind of guy. (Nothing like a 2.5 - 3.5 hour ride to start the day before work!)

3- Facilitate 24 hour endurance racing - something I'm getting pretty excited about. (Podiumed in a Duo-Pro team last fall at McDowell Park, AZ)

4- Winter road rides & safe commuting when it's dark out.

For me, the 3rd 24 hour race I did saw way more than a complete return on my investment - so much so I'll be buying another Arc set-up for my first Solo race this coming fall!

In addition, it indeed sheds "new light" on old trails! Everything is new again...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Go for it!

Oldhippie said:

You won't be disappointed. Night riding is excellent, and you'll find it worth the money you've spent on the gear.

Clyde

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
I love it!

I asked myself that question when I plopped down $450 for a light. But I love it. And it makes your everyday trails completely new and exciting. Extending the riding in winter is in itself enough justification.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
I have 2 Nitrider HIDs that I use on my rides, and I usually go once a week, more during winter time. Like others have said, trails you could ride blindfolded become new adventures. Plus, you can easily tell if someone else is comin, which is great for bombing down hills :D

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
DO IT in the dark!

Oldhippie said:

Last set of lights i spent 320 bucks for JetLite i13 use them a lot in the winter time. we try to night ride at least once a week! It's great fun....

Get a good light (quality light systems) i wasted money on the cheap stuff to see if i like it ,then wasted a little more on a little better quality, and then spent more and got something that could use for extended period and had plenty of light and not have to be stranded in the furthest point from the vehicle without a reliable light source....It's not a HID but then the replacement bulbs don't cost an arm and a leg either! Drop a dime or two...You'll dig it!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How many of you who have invested in nightriding systems feel like you get your moneys worth ?
I have HID for Handle Bar and 6volt for the headlamp. I've had to purchase several batteries over the years.

Do you use them frequently or were they a whim that you utilize a few times a year to justify the expense ?
Frequently. At least once or twice a week. It's an extension of riding. If I can't ride during the day because of work, I get to ride at night. Or if it's too hot or crowded during the day, why not ride when it's cool and less crowded.

I think I will take the plunge.
Jump in, the water's fine :)

Just about everything I have ever purchased has been thoroughly used and abused
Nothing new with this. It too, can get used and abused, if you're not carefull.

Attachments

·
255 Posts
Go for it. The real payoff is in the fall and winter when its hard to get out during daylight hours. I think it also improves tech skills because at least when the pace is high, you have to deal with obstacles in a more reactionary way than in a contemplative way. I also use my lights on my roadbike to commute at night, so I get the double duty value.

You don't need big money lights either. I have a $99 light on the bars and occassionally mount my helmet up with a Petzl headlamp. If I was doing 24 hour races or extended rides, I might invest in something with more power and candlepower, but my set up is adequate for 1-3 hour rides on pretty familiar trails.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
3,676 Posts
Hazzards of night riding

imjps said:
Do you use them frequently or were they a whim that you utilize a few times a year to justify the expense ?
Frequently. At least once or twice a week. It's an extension of riding. If I can't ride during the day because of work, I get to ride at night. Or if it's too hot or crowded during the day, why not ride when it's cool and less crowded.
The big problem with riding at night is that you wind up on the trail more. This is dangerous, you should be at home watching television. You forgot to mention that you broke your clavacle on a night ride. Now granted the problem had nothing to do with the light (or absence of light), but that is entirely beside the point. The truth is night riding is every bit as dangerous and irresponsible as daytime riding plus you have wild skunks and other night critters to deal with. If you didn't own a light you would have been at home sitting on the couch watching Television "Programming". In fact this whole mountain biking thing is nuts, you guys are all crazy.

Oh, I use the heck out of my light, I night ride pretty much once a week and until daylight savings kicks in the light is required gear. I got lucky and stumbled into a second hand HID light for a great price but the brighter the light the faster you can go. Sometimes it's fun to ride light free under the full moon also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oldhippie & Ogre

Ogre...how did you know?
Oldhippie...here in AZ in the summer it's either get up at the crack of dawn or ride at night. I have nothin in the morning so not much choice but to ride at night. I ride three nights a week in the summer and have a bar mounted Flamethrower. My only gripe is I should have gotten a helmet mounted light so I can see in the direction my heads pointed. Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got a light last year and would say that my favorite and most memorable rides of last season were all at night. As mentioned in many posts above, night rides make the same old trails new again- your lack of off-trail landmarks will make you forget exactly where on the trail you are and your lines will change a bit. We had a wed night night ride group thing going, so I always knew I would ride at least that one night. I doubt I would ride as often without a core group of friends, though.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I got one last fall and am SO glad I did (L&M ARC). It made my winter much more tolerable, and I didn't have to hang up my expensive bike for most of the winter (rationalization).

Now that we're back on daylight time I don't expect to use the light for about 6 months though, unless I get back from work really late and still want to ride. I really don't need one this time of year, but you might find some good end of season clearance deals on lights. If not, I'd wait until fall to get one.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I've invested literally the most you can invest in for a night riding light system. I got the Lupine Edison 10 with an extra battery. I use it all winter long doing night riding. I find it is fantastic value. I get an incredible kick out of night riding itself and totally love having the assurance of a nice bright strong reliable long burning light with me so I wont be let down on my regular weekly night sessions.

I've basically got my moneys worth after having the light only for a year now..

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
glenzx said:
Four things my superb L&M HID Arc set-up have offered:

1- Extending the riding day into the evening (very nice in the cooler weather to start later & end later, as it's warmer here in Santa Fe, NM in the afternoon / evening.)

2- Start pre-dawn in the hot weather; as I am indeed a freaky early a.m. kind of guy. (Nothing like a 2.5 - 3.5 hour ride to start the day before work!)

3- Facilitate 24 hour endurance racing - something I'm getting pretty excited about. (Podiumed in a Duo-Pro team last fall at McDowell Park, AZ)

4- Winter road rides & safe commuting when it's dark out.

For me, the 3rd 24 hour race I did saw way more than a complete return on my investment - so much so I'll be buying another Arc set-up for my first Solo race this coming fall!

In addition, it indeed sheds "new light" on old trails! Everything is new again...

I'm going to do my first 24hr this summer, and I still don't understand how people make it through the night on a light set. Do you buy multiple batteries? All those uber $400 systems have pathetic runtimes, I can't afford to buy one of those + multiple batteries. :(

For teams, you only have to do a few laps each in the dark most likely, but for 2-person or solo I just don't see how you would get enough juice to last the night. Must be something I'm missing?

I still need to decide on a lightset.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Night ridding is awesome; its a whole new game out there at night. I have 2 HID lighting systems; one helmet and one bar mount. Most of my night rides happen during the winter months when it gets dark early but I still like to throw a night ride in here and there during the summer as well. I like the HID's for the fact that they can go 4plus hours on a single charge but what i dont like is the white light; for me it washes out colors on the trail.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
You already..

spent at least a couple grand on a bike, you might as well spend a few extra bucks and use it the whole year. I rode every month this winter using my light, kept in decent shape for the upcoming season.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd say it's worth it depending on how much you spend compared to how much you night ride. I only bought a CygoLight for $80 US and ride twice a week with some buds who have normal jobs and can't ride any earlier than 5pm so the rides extend into the night. Also as mentioned IT'S COOLER and here that makes a huge difference - been 85+ F since beginning of March, hate to think what summer will be like. Definitley get a decent light if you're going to be doing trails, it ain't no fun riding down a technical trail and endoing 'cause you couldn't see that big a$$ hole, rock etc.

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
nightriding is great man. it's a whole new challenge, and most importantly, it opens up another 8 hours of each day when you can be out riding. If i didn't have a light set, I wouldn't be able to go riding tonight. ;)

I like my turbocat dual source by the way. it's simple and durable. Don't get sucked into fancy features. That stuff's all well and good till it leaves you stranded out in the woods with no light.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Chalk me up as another night riding addict.

Got the NiteRider HID system for a song, gently used (if at all!) and nearly half price. Wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise, and now I'm happily burning the retinas of my riding buddies everytime I turn around to talk to them :p

Tonight had the usual conversation w/my father about this subject:

Dad: What are you doing tomorrow night? Can you meet up with me?
Me: I'm riding.
Dad: At NIGHT?!!
Me: YES, at night, like I always do.
Dad: But......how....that's dangerous!
Me: {{{sigh}}} It's no different than *driving* at night! We have lights.
Dad: Yeah, but.....
Me: What do you think I've been DOING for the past couple of years on a weekly basis?!!

Time to start shopping for his next "home."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts