Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the value of a bike = to the sum of the retail prices of it's components?

I don't mean manufacturers suggested retail, but going market prices. I've recently finished my Blur project, minus wheels, (but I've got a loaner set that I can ride on :)) and I ran through the major componets, added up the costs that I've seen on sites like jenson, etc, and it's up to $3200+, and like I said, that's not counting wheels! Is my blur really worth that much?

·
2,548 Posts
bmadau said:
Is the value of a bike = to the sum of the retail prices of it's components?

I don't mean manufacturers suggested retail, but going market prices. I've recently finished my Blur project, minus wheels, (but I've got a loaner set that I can ride on :)) and I ran through the major componets, added up the costs that I've seen on sites like jenson, etc, and it's up to $3200+, and like I said, that's not counting wheels! Is my blur really worth that much?
To you, it is, sure....to others , possibly not - unless maybe they're knowledgable about what you put into it.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Only in your dreams. I have a Fisher Kaitai that I am planning to sell. Total value of the compenents if bought cheaply would be $800 or so, I will be lucky to get $400-500 for the bike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Value of a bike < the sum of its parts, always...

on the used market, but not by much depending on the seller. I doubt when you added your figures you accounted for the lowest possible price. With resources like Ebay, Mtbr classifieds and cheap online shops like Jensonusa you could build a top quality bike like the Blur for cheaper than $3200. I'd say a good price for the Blur with top components would be in the 2700-2800 with full XTR, maybe 150-200 more for XTR disc. But I'm a super bargain shopper and frequently by used or used new parts. Here are some examples I've seen or purchased:

Blur frame & Fox fork - $1500 on Ebay right now "Buy it now"
XTR 960 cranks - purchased new $300 shipped Ebay have seen here used$250
UST Crossmax -purchased new $350 Ebay, used here 250-300
Derailleurs - XTR 960 rr purchased here$75 / front xtr 960 LBS sale $50
Pedals - Eggs $60 New Ebay
XTR 960 shifters - New Ebay 199 currently or shift/lever disc$469 new complete Ebay
Saddle - MAX FLite saddle $40 Ebay currently "buy it Now"
There may be better deals out there yet.

Of course this is the cutomized bike route. The more you customize your bike the more you'll spend. For example if you are going to customize down to say an Extralite seat post clamp or Ti bolts you are going to have a very expensive bike that you never get close to your money back if you sell it.
The moral is if you are thinking about buying or building a bike and are not concerned about getting the very best of every single part on the bike, buy a complete bike that has the parts mix that you can live with. And if you are selling your bike the best way to go if you have a good parts mix is to break it up and sell the parts individually. It will be a bit more work, but you'll more of a return on your investment.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.. Actuall, I don't have very much (a little over a grand) of my own cash invested in it, and I don't plan on selling it any day soon. I got some deals on some parts, and got some favors from some friends, so I concider myself lucky. Being that I pulled in some favors, I didn't everything that I wanted, had to settle for what I could get. But I'm not complaining! It's just that my bike is a little bit heavier than I had planned for.

So far it's go this on it:
Blur ano frame, 5th air shcok
Minute 2
FSA Carbon pro team issue cranks
FSA platinum pro ti BB
FSA xc115 stem
Easton carbon bars and post
Selle italia SLR Gel Flow saddle
XO rear deraileur
XTR front deraileur
X.7 Triggers
Borrowed, used XTR pedals
Sram pc89r hollow pin chain
Jagwire cables
avid SD ti brakes and levers
FSA oribt extreme II whatever head set

still, no wheels.. I'm borrowing a set of heavy wheels right now. A friend gave me an old set of mavic/xt hub wheels, w/8sp cassette.. I got a 9 speed XT M750 cassette from another friend.. I still need my own qr's, and the rims braking surfaces of the wheels are pretty badly dished....beggars can't be choosers, and don't look a gift horse in the mouth :)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts