Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Vegas MTBr's, Steve Adams here... (RockMTB.com)

We (RockMTB) may be planning a weekend road trip to Bootleg (been there once, awesome!) in the spring and were also thinking of riding also at Valley of Fire.

Just wondering if you have any info on "Valley of Fire" in NV? any info would be helpful.
I did a Google search and was not impressed with any of the info I found. I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper...

Thanks for any info you may have,

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mattbikeboy said:
If I recall correctly there are no mountain bike legal trails in Valley of Fire. The dirt roads are ok. There is a lot of deep sand, great hiking and painful (yet inspiring) road riding.

mbb
Ohhman.. Really? A buddy of mine suggested checkning it out, (to see if we can even ride there.) Ya I was woundering why I was having problems finding any info.

Any suggestions on other trails to check while in the area? Our group will most likely consist of very aggressive/allmountain/XC types. Advanced/Intermediate. (some, that either also ride DH or have in the past.) But don't mind climbing if its followed by some fun down... :cool:
 

·
.........................
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
Here ya go!

Gimper4JC said:
Ohhman.. Really? A buddy of mine suggested checkning it out, (to see if we can even ride there.) Ya I was woundering why I was having problems finding any info.

Any suggestions on other trails to check while in the area? Our group will most likely consist of very aggressive/allmountain/XC types. Advanced/Intermediate. (some, that either also ride DH or have in the past.) But don't mind climbing if its followed by some fun down... :cool:
http://parks.nv.gov/vf.htm That is the official webpage. I responded to your e-mail first before logging in here DOH!.
Like Matt said, there are no mountain bike trails out there.
Give us locals a shout out when you come to town!
 

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
Maybe your friend meant Red Rock Canyon? Not a ton of aggro downhill stuff but some nice technical sections thrown into long flowing singletrack in the Cottonwood Valley Area. The Cowboy Trails are much more technical, downhilly and gnarly -- you'll like those trails if you don't mind the 2000 ft climb in 4.5 miles to the top.

mbb


Eric, you riding today or tomorrow?
 

·
.........................
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
Yes

mattbikeboy said:
Maybe your friend meant Red Rock Canyon? Not a ton of aggro downhill stuff but some nice technical sections thrown into long flowing singletrack in the Cottonwood Valley Area. The Cowboy Trails are much more technical, downhilly and gnarly -- you'll like those trails if you don't mind the 2000 ft climb in 4.5 miles to the top.

mbb

Eric, you riding today or tomorrow?
Not tonight,except to the video store. I plan on riding the next 3 days though. Where do you plan on riding tomorrow? I got all morning open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
mattbikeboy said:
Maybe your friend meant Red Rock Canyon? Not a ton of aggro downhill stuff but some nice technical sections thrown into long flowing singletrack in the Cottonwood Valley Area. The Cowboy Trails are much more technical, downhilly and gnarly -- you'll like those trails if you don't mind the 2000 ft climb in 4.5 miles to the top.

mbb
Hmmm... "nice technical sections thrown into long flowing singletrack" This sounds good..
More info please. (I checked the review section, not much there..)

where is Red Rock Canyon? How far from Bootleg? mapquest, Map/directions from Bootleg, etc.

THX!
 

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
Red Rock is on the west side of the Las Vegas valley (Bootleg is southeast). Look on a map for Blue Diamond (Cowboy trails are on SR 159 in Red Rock Canyon -- almost across the street from the Visitor's Center near the actual red rocks. Go out on Blue Diamond Rd (SR 160) or from the 215 follow out to Charleston and head west. The trail is on the east side of the road (look for a parking area just past the scenic loop) with a horseback riding area in.

Here is a topo map of the trail we rode the other day. Head south out of the parking area and up the hill counter-clockwise.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=153580

Eric -- want to do Cowboy tomorrow morning at 9:00 or so? I'd like to do it again sans the wind.

matt
 

·
Just Joshin' ya!
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Matt,

I am interested in joining you two at the Cowboy Trails tomorrow. Nine sounds good to me.

Joshua
 

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
Joined
·
1,644 Posts

·
.........................
Joined
·
2,093 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
mattbikeboy said:
Not that we'd hijack a thread or anything. ;)
Ahhh no big deal.. Happens all the time. I'll be sure to hijack plenty when we are out.

1500 feet in the 4.5 miles to the overlook to the east. We had 2.5 miles of relatively unmolested climbing bliss
Man, now thats what some of our group WANTS to hear! Looking at the topo, looks like some really fun down after too....

Would you be interested in leading us on a ride in that area?
 

·
Just Joshin' ya!
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Gimper4JC said:
Would you be interested in leading us on a ride in that area?
I'm sure Matt would love to lead the ride. And my slow ass will be happy to bring up the rear. The very far rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NMPhi767 said:
I'm sure Matt would love to lead the ride. And my slow ass will be happy to bring up the rear. The very far rear.
We have several riders with big rears to join you at the back... At least on the climbing. :D I'm usually not in any hurry on the climbs either. Now, going down, that's another story! Look out, coming through, on your right....

mattbikeboy said:
Just let me know when your coming and I'll try to pencil you in. ;)

mbb
Will do! As a matter of fact we already have it scheduled. We also have a couple other road trips... your welcome to join us.

March 24-26 - Bootleg Canyon. Las Vegas, NV. Leave early that day. Advanced/Intermediate XC AND Downhill.

May 4-7 - Gooseberry Mesa/Zion National Park - Utah, Slick rock riding. Intermediate/Advanced XC. Feel free to bring your families to stay in Zion National Park while we ride. Alternate between spectacular hikes and outstanding riding. First come first serve, limited sites available.

Thanks for the great response!
Go Ride!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top