Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I hate mosquitos so I did use some repellent but not my brother. While riding it was ok, even when we stop for 10-15 minutes for a snack (just walking around at a slow pace was enough to stay bite free). But back in the parking lot, it was insane...

I'm not sure if it's ok to travel at the moment but E47 (Lac Delage) and VBN have put mesures in place to allow trail riding while respecting social health recommandation (online only ticket, lots of sanitizer available, etc). For now' it's ok cause it was quite on weekdays but since lots of team sport won't be available as usual, there's a more and more people getting into biking in general and mtb in particular. E47 were out of sticker for annual membership last week because of higher demand than usual. Personally I will try riding on weekdays (What I usually do anyway...)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice!
Are there any restrictions on driving there from Ontario you've heard about?
Most regional travel restrictions/guidelines have been removed since Wednesday. Things are changing daily, I can't keep up. Behave accordingly of course. Where to stay or eat is another story. Numbers are down significantly this week, we'll see what happens as more things open up.

QC gov't info here, good luck trying to figure it all out;
https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just returned from here and Sentier Du Moulin. These are some of the most amazing trails I have ever seen and ridden. Some trails are very technical so if you don't like technical climbing and descending this might not be the best for you. That being said most features have ride arounds or you can just walk them.

Neilson Est is closed as they are rerouting a section of trail around a moose habitat but should be open again in a few weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you camp? How many days were you there? How were the "covid" issues?
We'd be coming from ontario and probably stay 5 days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We stayed at the Hotel Roquemont right in St Raymond. It is basically the trail head for the Valle Bras Du Nord (St Raymond Sector) and has a restaurant, microbrewery and bike shop all tied into the same place. It is only 30mins to Shannahan sector and about 45min to E47 and 1hr to Sentier Du Moulin.

COVID wasn't an issue and trails are generally 1 way. Everyone was very welcoming and employees at restaurants wore masks and same as people at Valle Bras Du Nords store in Shannahan Sector.

Depending on your riding ability 5 days will let you cover most of the trails. If Neilson is fully open I would suggest leaving 1 day to do it all as the views are amazing and the trails are a grind in some spots if you aren't use to the tech riding. You can easily cover St Raymond in 1 big day if you want and then Sentier Du Moulin would be 2 days (again depends on your ability).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, We went last year in late September, the Hotel was booked but ate at the restaurant (great poutine!)
Airbnb'd Sentier du Moulin, and St. Raymond. Hoping to go in August this year, all things considered and camp nearby. Didn't hit E47, looks promising too!
Loved Shannahan but couldn't do Legend, it was closed. Tech stuff is a great challenge just at the edge for our old bodies!!
What a blast.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Neilson Est is closed as they are rerouting a section of trail around a moose habitat but should be open again in a few weeks.
Came here to ask if anyone knew why it was closed, thanks for the info. Hopefully its open by August, I'm planning a trip out there mid-month.

It'll be my third time to VBN - looking forward to checking out the new trail..

Also hoping to get over to Sentiers du Moulin. Did you do Wolverine and Slab City? Looks like they are small ride away from the actual SDM riding area?

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
Did you do Wolverine and Slab City? Looks like they are small ride away from the actual SDM riding area?
They are on a different hill from the main trail system. It's a short ride on roads over from the main network distance-wise, but it's a tough grunt up to get to the start of Wolverine. Mind you, I am old and out of shape, so you might find it easier. They've added some climbing trails, so perhaps it's easier to get to the top now than the dirt road we took last year.

After you are done either trail, it's a longer ride to get back to the main parking lot with another climb along the way, unless you take a longer way back on pavement.

·
Monkey
324 Posts
For SDM Maelstrom sector (Wolverine, Slab City, Rock City, etc) there is no shuttle possible to get to the top. Also, it is no longer possible to return to parking lot using the forest road. You have to use te pavement, which is a 25 minutes ride back from Slab City. Less from the end of Wolverine. They are working on a return trail, no idea when it will be ready.

For VBN, Neilson East is now open.

·
Registered
274 Posts
For SDM Maelstrom sector (Wolverine, Slab City, Rock City, etc) there is no shuttle possible to get to the top. Also, it is no longer possible to return to parking lot using the forest road. You have to use te pavement, which is a 25 minutes ride back from Slab City. Less from the end of Wolverine. They are working on a return trail, no idea when it will be ready.

For VBN, Neilson East is now open.
Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nice video about La Légende. I think it's the best one that have seen to give an idea of how great this trail is... In French but with English subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=xeVoer3-r9o&feature=emb_logo

Oh and I did the three Neilson and half-Boreal (cause I was cramping a bit). The work they did on the upper part of Neilson Est is nothing major but gives some flow to this section. If your in the area and like a challenge, be sure to do this scenic loop!

Great article about VBN but in French...
https://www.bonvelo.ca/blog/destination-vallee-bras-du-nord

81 - 98 of 98 Posts