Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
YES!!!! Spectacular place, amazing scenery (Mountains! Rivers! Valleys!etc)

The trails have everything, from smooth and fast to rocky and technical.

We're planning a last minute camping trip next week and this spot is on our short list of options.

No guarantee but if I can find some pics I'll post them here.. [EDIT no luck finding pics]

In the mean time, Vallee Bras Du Nord - Anyone been? - Pinkbike Forum

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Was just there a week ago Bert.

Shannahan has a good mix of trails, from excavator built flow trails near the parking lot, to more remote, rugged adventure riding further out.

St. Raymond trails are built primarily built on two hills (one the local ski hill) with a couple km of fun flowy stuff connecting them. In general, it's ride up, then ride down. Each has 2 specific climbing trails (ascent is 70-100m vertical) with everything from beginner to advanced trails coming down.

Definitely worth the trip. As a note, If you really enjoyed Raystown, you'd enjoy Edmundston, which has 30km of excavator trails, fast flowy, though they don't use the elevation quite as well as in Raystown. We also rode Carrabesset, Maine, which was our favorite of this past little mini-trip we did, but part of the draw was two big downhill trails that required a solid climb. But they are building awesome trail there and more to come. We also stayed at a great mountain top campground, with lake access and very dog friendly.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just there a week ago Bert.

Shannahan has a good mix of trails, from excavator built flow trails near the parking lot, to more remote, rugged adventure riding further out.

St. Raymond trails are built primarily built on two hills (one the local ski hill) with a couple km of fun flowy stuff connecting them. In general, it's ride up, then ride down. Each has 2 specific climbing trails (ascent is 70-100m vertical) with everything from beginner to advanced trails coming down.

Definitely worth the trip. As a note, If you really enjoyed Raystown, you'd enjoy Edmundston, which has 30km of excavator trails, fast flowy, though they don't use the elevation quite as well as in Raystown. We also rode Carrabesset, Maine, which was our favorite of this past little mini-trip we did, but part of the draw was two big downhill trails that required a solid climb. But they are building awesome trail there and more to come. We also stayed at a great mountain top campground, with lake access and very dog friendly.
Jeff, you and Tanya sure get around!!! And good for you, keep it up! Life goes by way too quick, trust me lol!
Yes Shanahan looks pretty cool! Anyone use the Shannahan ( right at trailhead) or Etsanha ( 15' away on the river) campground?
Edmundston eh? Maybe a return trip to NB should be on my calender for next year!

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

We're planning a last minute camping trip next week and this spot is on our short list of options.

No guarantee but if I can find some pics I'll post them here.. [EDIT no luck finding pics]

Looks good!!! Thanks for the link :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Jeff, you and Tanya sure get around!!! And good for you, keep it up! Life goes by way too quick, trust me lol!
Yes Shanahan looks pretty cool! Anyone use the Shannahan ( right at trailhead) or Etsanha ( 15' away on the river) campground?
Edmundston eh? Maybe a return trip to NB should be on my calender for next year!
Edmundston, Vallee Bras-du-Nord and Carrabesset can make a nice little trip if you are looking at a 7-10 days, why i mentioned them, all in really nice spots.

We camped at Etsanha.....a bit of an adventure. No matter how much I asked (cause I was unsure), they assured me my trailer would fit in the spots along the river. Even when I drove it down (regretted that) and checked in they said no problem. I've gotten my trailer into very tight spots, but this wasn't even close. Some damage later, we bailed and camped a km away in their trailer parking, which was just a field. Your pro-lite would fit just fine however. The river sites seemed pretty nice, no services, which I don't think you use anyway, right along the river, but to me a little crowded/close, especially peak season (and especially for us with 3 dogs). Etsanha is 15 minutes from both Shannahan and St. Raymond trails.

I'd guess the Shannahan camping is a little more private, not sure if they allow trailers, but yours has the same foot print as many tents, so can't see why not.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
We are trying! Just bought new trail bikes and going to do another 10-12 day trip around New England in mid to late September. Life is short. Ride Bikes.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edmundston, Vallee Bras-du-Nord and Carrabesset can make a nice little trip if you are looking at a 7-10 days, why i mentioned them, all in really nice spots.

We camped at Etsanha.....a bit of an adventure. No matter how much I asked (cause I was unsure), they assured me my trailer would fit in the spots along the river. Even when I drove it down (regretted that) and checked in they said no problem. I've gotten my trailer into very tight spots, but this wasn't even close. Some damage later, we bailed and camped a km away in their trailer parking, which was just a field. Your pro-lite would fit just fine however. The river sites seemed pretty nice, no services, which I don't think you use anyway, right along the river, but to me a little crowded/close, especially peak season (and especially for us with 3 dogs). Etsanha is 15 minutes from both Shannahan and St. Raymond trails.

I'd guess the Shannahan camping is a little more private, not sure if they allow trailers, but yours has the same foot print as many tents, so can't see why not.
Sounds good and yep, I can get my little Suite in just about anywhere no problem. And now I have solar to keep my battery charged, don't need no hookups even for extended camping :)
Question on the water for drinking. I see both campgrounds say non-drinking water is available. I assume this water would be fine to drink once boiled or run through a PUR filter?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Sounds good and yep, I can get my little Suite in just about anywhere no problem. And now I have solar to keep my battery charged, don't need no hookups even for extended camping :)
Question on the water for drinking. I see both campgrounds say non-drinking water is available. I assume this water would be fine to drink once boiled or run through a PUR filter?
I'm pretty sure they gave us a handout when arriving that the water in the campground near the river was good to drink. Don't quote me on that however, my french is getting rusty these days. The water that was coming out of tap at the RV camping was clean and clear. I'm pretty sure we drank it, though we were were using some large jugs that we had collected elsewhere as well. I'm not usually picky about that however. Certainly it will be fine with filter or boiling.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes, scenery looks spectacular!!! And everyone knows I like taking pics so it could be a toss up battle between riding and shooting!

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure they gave us a handout when arriving that the water in the campground near the river was good to drink. Don't quote me on that however, my french is getting rusty these days. The water that was coming out of tap at the RV camping was clean and clear. I'm pretty sure we drank it, though we were were using some large jugs that we had collected elsewhere as well. I'm not usually picky about that however. Certainly it will be fine with filter or boiling.
I have noticed this before in QC and in NB. They tend to specify the water in camp grounds as non-drinking. I don't see that in other places. I can't believe the water is any different in those provinces ...maybe just a way of covering their ass??

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have noticed this before in QC and in NB. They tend to specify the water in camp grounds as non-drinking. I don't see that in other places. I can't believe the water is any different in those provinces ...maybe just a way of covering their ass??
I wonder if there is a requirement to have it tested at regular intervals (if on a well) to meet some sort of insurance/licensing requirement and it's just not done for regularly for various reasons (and hence the need to post not potable)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great trails...Visited there for the first time last month and we were not disappointed. We were originally going to go to Kingdom Trails, but, decided to keep our $$$ in Canada for this trip.

We enjoyed the XC trails at;
Vallée Bras Du Nord - Shannahan
Vallée Bras Du Nord - St Raymond

MISC INFO
- the last 5km to Shannahan is a gravel road which has ruts for just about the entire 5km. Slow down or speed up and it's not a problem. They weren't enough keep us from returning the next day!
- Shannahan has a welcome centre and bike rental/repair shop (limited items)
- Shannahan does not have any food concessions, so we made sure that we came equipped
- St Raymond has a welcome centre and a restaurant/brew pub.
- St Raymond has a proper bike shop with a decent inventory of bikes, parts, clothing, etc...
- The locals were very friendly in both locations.

On our way back to Ontario we stayed at Bromont for a couple of days and in addition to the DH runs at Bromont there are some good XC trails close by at Réseau du Mont-Oak Climb, climb and then be rewarded with fun flowing trails.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shannahan Campground

So I'm leaning towards using the Shannahan campground for the obvious reason that it is right at the trail head. Anyone camp here before or at least check it out? Unfortunately they don't seem to have a sites selection map like one typically sees. They only have 18 sites so I should probably reserve ahead despite going during the week. I also messaged them on their facebook page to get some help

EDIT: got a lot of info from messaging the campground on facebook, and a phone call. Very helpful young lady and they do have a site map...just had to keep scrolling down lol.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice SG ...thanks for sharing. I was wondering which campground to choose, I know CptSydor stayed at the same one you did just a few weeks ago. I decided on Camp Shannahan right at the trail head. Nice to get your comments on the trails too. I read Neilsen is not to be missed, will make note of any others. certainly want to get to a lot of the scenic spots, some of the pics I've seen look fantastic!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look forward to a report and pics. BCD, enjoy. Also did do Bromont and Mt Oak Put Buckwallow on top of Horseshoe Valley and add more rock, enjoyable couple hours at latter when we arrived.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This place is the real deal. DEFINITELY worth the trip from Ontario. I stopped here on the way back from Nova Scotia at the beginning of July and had an absolute blast.

If you stay at the Roquemont motel, you have trails literally a few feet from your door. The motel also has its own beer, restaurant and there is a Metro not too far away.

Like others said, the trails near the motel are mostly flowy type trails built on two hills with trails connecting them both. When I went there, the trails were smooth as butter. As if someone had just cleaned and raked them. They were perfectly manicured.

Now, out in the Shannahan section (30-40 minute drive into the mountains), is where the real fun begins. The Neilson trail is one of the best trails that I have ridden. I did about 30km of trail the one day and was absolutely blown away and it kicked my ass, but I never stopped smiling.

I went here solo and still had a blast.

Pro-tip; download the Ondago app and then download the trail map for both areas. There is absolutely no cell phone service out in the mountains and the paper map doesn't actually seem to be as accurate (especially around the motel).

Few pictures from my trip - Vallee-Bras-du-Nord Photo Album - Pinkbike

Also ifyou've been and have climbed the road up to Neilson.....read the comments in this link. It sounds like they are planning to have trail all the way up to the top. East Bound and Down: Quebec, Canada - Pinkbike

·
Registered
274 Posts
Also, if anyone goes and needs someone to ride with, send me a message haha. I did this solo, but would LOVE to go back. Always up for new trails and adventures.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome!!

This is an outdoor adventure paradise north west of Quebec City. There are two mtbiking sectors, one at the town of Saint Raymond and the other Shannahan Sector which is ~25' drive further on. I rode and camped at Shannahan. There is a small 18 site unserviced campground at the trailhead. And they have a signature trail called Nielson Nord and Nielson Sud at Shannahan that was the main reason for my coming here. If you love both mtbiking and beautiful scenery then this place is pretty spectacular. I met a great couple, Christine & Silvan from Chicoutimi QC while here, and we spent some nice evenings together around their campfire! :)
Vallee Bras-du-Nord offers canoeing/ kayaking, rock climbing, camping, hiking, and various accommodations including yurts & cabins...
Outdoor destination - Québec | Vallée-Bras-du-Nord

Link to my pics :)
https://goo.gl/photos/5dFesusrvC4hipex6

1 - 20 of 98 Posts