Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Validate/Invalidate My Build!! (Pics added in OP on 4/10!!)

Pulled the trigger on my new build! :D All the components have arrived and pre-assembly has gone as far as possible. Currently awaiting arrival of the frame and the 15mm crank bolts I had to order. Sorry, no pics yet.

First - Me:

6'5", 230 lbs.

Likes: Descending, Jumps, Drops, Big, gnarly rocks, Beers in Camelback

Dislikes: Climbing (unless followed by DH and/or Rocks), Spandex

Really Strongly Dislikes: Guys who keep their race numbers on the bike long after the race is over. We acknowledge your greatness already because you just paid to ride in a circle for a few hours and went home with a pair of tire levers as a prize. Kudos.

Let me know what you think:

Frame: Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon, Black, XL
Shock: CCDBA w/CS
Fork: Pike Solo, 160mm
Wheels: Azonic Outlaw (note: chose the outlaws to save some $$, these will likely be upgraded within 1-2 years)
Crank: Shimano Zee, RF narrow wide 30t ring, Straitline Bash.
Brakes: Elixer 7 Trail, 203mm f, 180mm rear
RD: Shimano XT + Shimano XT Shifter
Cassette: XT + "One Up" 42t cog.
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace
Headset: CC 40
Tires: Maxxis Minion DHR 3c 2.3 Exo
Seat: WTB Speed V
Pedals: Shimano PD-M785
Jagwire shift cable
Bars: Renthal Fat Bar 780mm, 20mm rise
Stem: Cromag Ranger 70mm

Should be noted that all components - except the One Up cog & the bars - are black. Once you go black . . . Also, still not going tubeless. Maybe when I upgrade the wheels. Also, hacking a bit off the bars is a possibility if I find myself biffing off too many trees.

This bike is going to be my trailbike, but hoping it'll handle park riding if I need it to.

Anyway - Validate or Invalidate my build!

Note - eff. 4/10 the wheels have already been upgraded. Hadley hubs laced to WTB 123 rims, set up tubeless

[edit - Cell Phone pics added]

bike1.jpg bike2.jpg bike3.jpg bike4.jpg bike3.jpg bike6.jpg bike7.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Let me know how you like that 30t ring. I have a relatively similar build going on with a SC Heckler XL, 160mm Pike, and same riding style. Ran a 34t & 11-36 on my 26" bikes no problem. My philosophy is if it's too steep to climb with a 34-36 ratio, then I have no desire to attempt...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me know how you like that 30t ring. I have a relatively similar build going on with a SC Heckler XL, 160mm Pike, and same riding style. Ran a 34t & 11-36 on my 26" bikes no problem. My philosophy is if it's too steep to climb with a 34-36 ratio, then I have no desire to attempt...
I'll probably post a review here. I'm assuming there will be a dry trail or 2 by the time the frame gets here & gets built. The 1x10 drivetrain was the biggest departure from my existing bike, so I'm very curious to see how it goes.

·
No Clue Crew
7,176 Posts
I suspect the frame will be a tight fit at your height.

Not a huge fan of Outlaw wheels. Otherwise , kick-arse build. You'll be happy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
As a recovering Avid brake victim I can't emphasize enough how much better Shimano Ice-tech brakes are. Remember you have the power to change the things you can, but please have the wisdom to know the difference. ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Any reason why you are running the Shimano Durace chain? I am a Shimano guy, but the pin system Shimano uses to pin the master links sucks. I would suggest one of the SRAM PG1070 or better chains with the power link.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Any reason why you are running the Shimano Durace chain? I am a Shimano guy, but the pin system Shimano uses to pin the master links sucks. I would suggest one of the SRAM PG1070 or better chains with the power link.
This times a thousand! As a former bike Mechanic these chains are ridiculous.
Otherwise sounds sweet. I think the 30T ring is how I would go as well. should be plenty of gearing.
As phattruth says why run Avids? 3years of quiet no fuss braking since switching to XT brakes here.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The 1x10 drivetrain was the biggest departure from my existing bike, so I'm very curious to see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

I just got a new ride (Devinci Troy) and set it up with a 32 N/W and stock cassette. So far so good. I'm more inclined to climb. I'm not in good enough shape to tackle extended climbs and everything yet. However, for me that'll be a challenge for me to get stronger. In the long run, hopefully I'll be a better rider for it. So far so good otherwise. I love how clean my handlebars are without the shifter. Haven't had a dropped chain yet. Upgraded my SRAM chain to KMC for what it's worth. You'll love that Pike. I have the 150, and its buttery smooth.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
I think you are paying a lot of money for a super light carbon frame - at your size and priorities a burly alloy frame would allow you to spend the cash elsewhere, like wheels with a good rear hub.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
XT brakes are an upgrade and cheap. $110 ish a pop for lever and caliper. I would have gone with Pro II hubs laced to flow EXs or i25 set up tubeless. But why ask opinions after you order the parts? If you really want opinions isn't it better to ask prior to ordering ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dislike Avid brakes and Maxxis 2.3s. If they run even a little smaller than advertised, they will be a little skinny on downhills. The single 30T front chainring may not be a good touch if you struggle uphill. However I haven't run a 42T rear cog so it may work out for you. Otherwise nice build, post pics soon.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dislike Avid brakes and Maxxis 2.3s. If they run even a little smaller than advertised, they will be a little skinny on downhills. The single 30T front chainring may not be a good touch if you struggle uphill. However I haven't run a 42T rear cog so it may work out for you. Otherwise nice build, post pics soon.
I though long & hard about the brakes. I have Juicy 5s on my old bike. In 7 years, I've had to change pads and bleed them once, and that was more prophylactic than anything. In the end, chose to go with the Avids again because I've already got everything I need to bleed the brakes, they cost a bit less, and because I've never had a problem with Avids. Also use Codes on my DH bike & they work great.

The Maxxis 2.3's are a change for me. While I generally swear by Maxxis tires, I typically run a wire-bead 2.4 DHRII on my trail bike & 2.4 HR II exo on the back. A buddy of mine recently tried the DHRII 2.3 on the back & really like it so thought I'd give it a try. The 27.5 tire selection is still somewhat limited compared to 26.

Why did I ask for opinions AFTER I ordered the parts? Frankly, waiting for my frame to come in is killing me so figured I'd start a thread about it LOL.

Regarding the carbon v. aluminum - I believe the carbon frame will be stiffer than the aluminum.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I though long & hard about the brakes. I have Juicy 5s on my old bike. In 7 years, I've had to change pads and bleed them once, and that was more prophylactic than anything. In the end, chose to go with the Avids again because I've already got everything I need to bleed the brakes, they cost a bit less, and because I've never had a problem with Avids. Also use Codes on my DH bike & they work great.

The Maxxis 2.3's are a change for me. While I generally swear by Maxxis tires, I typically run a wire-bead 2.4 DHRII on my trail bike & 2.4 HR II exo on the back. A buddy of mine recently tried the DHRII 2.3 on the back & really like it so thought I'd give it a try. The 27.5 tire selection is still somewhat limited compared to 26.

Why did I ask for opinions AFTER I ordered the parts? Frankly, waiting for my frame to come in is killing me so figured I'd start a thread about it LOL.

Regarding the carbon v. aluminum - I believe the carbon frame will be stiffer than the aluminum.
As long as the brakes work properly they will be good. Tire selection is limited indeed. I may face this problem in a couple months when I get a 27.5 hardtail frame. It's just hard to find the tire setup which is light rolls well has much grip and last at least a year.
I'd be exited about a carbon bronson frame too. I'm leaning towards am/enduro bikes but I always realise I should get a used car instead if I had the money.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bronson ? Ccdb will help but there are better descending frames out there and the silly short top tube is a bit old school

Something longer and more up to date Kona process or Yt Capra .....

·
Registered
858 Posts
Eh, the old "Avid sucks" stuff......3 bikes running Juicy 7s still and one bike with Elixr CRs (my wife's) and never an issue, no noise, no problems etc. Best thing I can say is, I never this about my brakes, which is a good thing. If they are set up properly etc. they should be fine.

That being said, I would have no issue running the newer Shimanos but I have no need to change.

Ride what you like.......

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eh, the old "Avid sucks" stuff......3 bikes running Juicy 7s still and one bike with Elixr CRs (my wife's) and never an issue, no noise, no problems etc. Best thing I can say is, I never this about my brakes, which is a good thing. If they are set up properly etc. they should be fine.

That being said, I would have no issue running the newer Shimanos but I have no need to change.

Ride what you like.......
Agree with you. This coming season will be my 8th on Avid hydro brakes & still don't have issues with them. They cost less than Shimanos & seem to work fine. I recently spent a week at Whistler riding down from the top of the Garbanzo lift & never had an issue with the brakes. Also never had to use more than one finger, even on the steeps. Not saying that Shimanos aren't great brakes, but Avid brakes don't seem to live up to the hatred.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I think avids are just hit or miss. I've had a couple sets that were horrible. Also if you've basically only ridden one brand you don't have many points of reference. Having owned and ridden avids, hopes, formulas, Maguras and shimano brakes. I personally prefer shimano sand think XTs offer great value. I'm just giving my opinion not making a blanket statement for all brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think avids are just hit or miss. I've had a couple sets that were horrible. Also if you've basically only ridden one brand you don't have many points of reference. Having owned and ridden avids, hopes, formulas, Maguras and shimano brakes. I personally prefer shimano sand think XTs offer great value. I'm just giving my opinion not making a blanket statement for all brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt; while I have lived with nothing but Avid, I ahve ridden just about eveything at one time or another with various rentals etc. and have friends with everything on their bikes. I think each brand is hit or miss when it comes down to it, based on my buddy's bike I would swear off Hopes but I'm sure there are plenty that love them.

I think the fact I have stuck with Avid all these years speaks volumes more than someone who jumps around seaching for the next best thing; once you find something that works and you don't have to think about, you stick with it, whether it is Avid, XT, Magura etc.

Like I said, run what makes you smile change what doesn't make you smile......

Man I need this snow to melt....I'm ready for riding season now.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts