Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey
gonna try to get up to vail next week for a big ride - anybody have suggestions for a nice 3-5 hour epic loop ride in the area. thanks!!
 

·
MFin' Princess
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
billybobzia said:
hey gonna try to get up to vail next week for a big ride - anybody have suggestions for a nice 3-5 hour epic loop ride in the area. thanks!!
Yeah buddy! Try this one, its one of my all time fav-o-rites: You can go from Vail to Minturn via the Two Elks Trail. Lot's o' climbing, breathtaking views, and an extremely long and kick-ass down hill, punctuated with semi- to moderately-technical rock gardens. You should check with one of the local bike shops for good directions if necessary before you par-take ...

I just checked a book I have and the directions that are so freaking poor that I'm not really comfortable passing them on, but here's the scoop: Start at the ski area. Take the main service road under the Vistabahn. At about the 3 mile mark there's an intersection. Stay to the left and continue climbing for about ten miles. Once at the summit, ride across the top, (away from the prayer flags), w/i 20y you'll see singletrack; that's the Commando Run. Take CR down to the base of China Express, where you'll find Two Elks Trail, and that'll take you right into Minturn where you can take the paved bike path back into Vail.

It's a well-known, and excellent, epic ripe. Pick up a map and you'll find your way easily. Have fun!
 

·
contains quinine
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
W'04 said:
It's a well-known, and excellent, epic ripe. Pick up a map and you'll find your way easily. Have fun!
Lattitude 40 makes a great map of vail. I've been eyeing the Lost lake Loop on there (assuming I remember correctly). For a shorter ride, I'm fond of Son of Middle Creek.

Have fun!
 

·
a dad
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
W'04 said:
Yeah buddy! Try this one, its one of my all time fav-o-rites: You can go from Vail to Minturn via the Two Elks Trail. Lot's o' climbing, breathtaking views, and an extremely long and kick-ass down hill, punctuated with semi- to moderately-technical rock gardens. You should check with one of the local bike shops for good directions if necessary before you par-take ...

I just checked a book I have and the directions that are so freaking poor that I'm not really comfortable passing them on, but here's the scoop: Start at the ski area. Take the main service road under the Vistabahn. At about the 3 mile mark there's an intersection. Stay to the left and continue climbing for about ten miles. Once at the summit, ride across the top, (away from the prayer flags), w/i 20y you'll see singletrack; that's the Commando Run. Take CR down to the base of China Express, where you'll find Two Elks Trail, and that'll take you right into Minturn where you can take the paved bike path back into Vail.

It's a well-known, and excellent, epic ripe. Pick up a map and you'll find your way easily. Have fun!
sounds like a good one - about how long would you estimate it takes..we ride at a reasonably speedy place..but don't mistake us for racers as i am long retired..is it really a 10 mile climb?? i really love climbing even though most people think i'm whacked!!
 

·
MFin' Princess
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
Debaser said:
Lattitude 40 makes a great map of vail. I've been eyeing the Lost lake Loop on there (assuming I remember correctly). For a shorter ride, I'm fond of Son of Middle Creek.

Have fun!
Lost Lake kicks ass, it's just short. Allegedly, from the map, you can make a loop after you arrive at the lake, but I've tride to hook it up twice, and both times got lost in the rough.

:(

Still great ride, particularly if you're looking to hit a short one on your way home outta Vail. PS: On LL, bring mosquito repellant, or be eaten alive this time of year!
 

·
MFin' Princess
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
billybobzia said:
sounds like a good one - about how long would you estimate it takes..we ride at a reasonably speedy place..but don't mistake us for racers as i am long retired..is it really a 10 mile climb?? i really love climbing even though most people think i'm whacked!!
You know, it's been a while since I've done this ride, but it really is quite a climb, and the book says it's 10 miles. The climb is all on a well-maintained service road, so it goes much more quickly than you'd expect. After you hit the top it's all singletrack (good stuff) into Minturn.

Obviously, you'd be wise to start your ride early (due the the climb on this ride, it seems I'm always above timberline just as the weather's picking up); but well conditioned non-racers should be able complete this in 4 or 5 hours, allowing for a little time to take in the view, and barring major mechanicals. Even for racer types, this will be a 3.5 hour ride.

I'll be in Vail the week after next myself, and will look for your tracks!
 

·
contains quinine
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
W'04 said:
Lost Lake kicks ass, it's just short. Allegedly, from the map, you can make a loop after you arrive at the lake, but I've tride to hook it up twice, and both times got lost in the rough.
Good stuff to know. I'd still like to head up there and see whatever's to be seen.
 

·
MFin' Princess
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
Debaser said:
Good stuff to know. I'd still like to head up there and see whatever's to be seen.
I tried to find some pix I took up there once, but I can't find 'em. A websearch found this site (whoever the hell these guys are); but it shows some neat shots of the Lake, go here to check it out. Also, the guys on this site made Lost Lake into an epic by hooking it up from the Safeway parking lot (at the West Vail exit), up Red Sandstone Road, off onto Buffehr Creek Trail, up to the Lost Lake Trail, back down to the Son of Middle Creek Trail, over to the North Trail, and back (25 miles 3,900' climb). May be a good one to try! I'll check it out next week and provide a full report.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Those guys were my friends...

W'04 said:
I tried to find some pix I took up there once, but I can't find 'em. A websearch found this site (whoever the hell these guys are); but it shows some neat shots of the Lake, go here to check it out. Also, the guys on this site made Lost Lake into an epic by hooking it up from the Safeway parking lot (at the West Vail exit), up Red Sandstone Road, off onto Buffehr Creek Trail, up to the Lost Lake Trail, back down to the Son of Middle Creek Trail, over to the North Trail, and back (25 miles 3,900' climb). May be a good one to try! I'll check it out next week and provide a full report.

:)
The guys in those pics were my friends, I just found this thread. The ride as I remember it (it's been a while) was a long one, and took some route-finding with maps to figure out where we were and where we were going. I think the GPS told us we'd had 4000' of vertical climbing that day, which was made worse the next day when I climbed Mt. Elbert... A great ride though, I wish I still lived in Colorado to do it again...

-- Curtis
 

·
MFin' Princess
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
Snwbeast said:
The guys in those pics were my friends, I just found this thread. The ride as I remember it (it's been a while) was a long one, and took some route-finding with maps to figure out where we were and where we were going. I think the GPS told us we'd had 4000' of vertical climbing that day, which was made worse the next day when I climbed Mt. Elbert... A great ride though, I wish I still lived in Colorado to do it again...

-- Curtis
Hey Curtis! Nice to know you. What the hell are the chances?? My gosh!! Anyway, it looks like an awesome ride. I have that Latitude 40 map Debaser suggested (it's excellent), between that and knowing a lot of the Vail area, I hope to retrace your friend's ride. If you're in regular contact with them, please send a thanks from dubya for giving me the inspiration, I'm sure it'll be a great day. If you're ever out this way, post in here or send me a PM to ride ... PS: Wanna know what the scariest snowmonster is? Them thar Wendigos ... *shudder*
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top