Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ride vail weekend of the 20th? If so, what was open? much snow left?
Also, i heard vail legalized some of the old renegade trails. Would radio flyer be one of them?
thanks

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think radio flyer has been ridden since shortly after the big shut down of 2002. Something to do with it being mostly outside the resort.
MTBR member wormvine, who lives near there and I believe he works for the resort, posted the statement that vail was going to legalize some of them. I have no idea to what extent. He might be tight-lipped, want to keep the trails all to himself! :lol:
Did you use to ride there pre-2002?
Do you recall the trail I knew as PBR?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I rode there last weekend. It's all dry. Perfectly tacky actually :)
Everything is open except the top of 94

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks pdh

and renegade, i started riding there in 2003. did you mean to say radio flyer has or has not been ridden since 2002?

was PBR the one where you got off at the top, stayed skier left on the top of the ridge and came out in the subdivision way west of the base area?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
bpatterson6 said:
How quickly do you expect '94 to be open?
Thanks.
It is quite possible that Vail may not officially open 94' DH at all. But they won't stop you from riding it. It's been that way before.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
fathead said:
thanks pdh

and renegade, i started riding there in 2003. did you mean to say radio flyer has or has not been ridden since 2002?

was PBR the one where you got off at the top, stayed skier left on the top of the ridge and came out in the subdivision way west of the base area?
Nope that trail is Matterhorn. A cool trail for sure. PBR is a bit more hectic.
Radio Flyer is no longer a trail. I am not sure why. Plenty of people still ride the rogue trails so I am not sure why they let RF die.

·
Registered
331 Posts
wormvine said:
It is quite possible that Vail may not officially open 94' DH at all. But they won't stop you from riding it. It's been that way before.
That's the feeling I've got from listening to the staff. I have heard that "RF will reopen and
94 will be officially canned."

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
The trail I recall known as PBR is what you rode after radio flyer. RF dumped you out on a service road switchback, you ride the rode down untill you get to a small lift station, PBR started just behind and to the right of that station.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
pdh said:
That's the feeling I've got from listening to the staff. I have heard that "RF will reopen and
94 will be officially canned."
Maybe, I will still ride 94 from time to time for sure.
It will take a lot of work to open the trail I think is Radio Flyer. It is completely covered with downed trees and such.
There is another trail named John Holmes. Could you be mistaking that for RF? It has a nice little road gap on it.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
Renegade said:
The trail I recall known as PBR is what you rode after radio flyer. RF dumped you out on a service road switchback, you ride the rode down untill you get to a small lift station, PBR started just behind and to the right of that station.
I'd like to plan a day to go ride at Vail. If someone hads the time, can someone show me around the mountain? I know of some of the trails, but I'd really like to get to know a few more. Vail is one of my favorite places to ride.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Radio flyer is the trail you access by heading west once you leave the lift, like you are heading over to do matterhorn. It starts near a "radio tower" building. A little ways down the trail, there is a small "road gap" jump. I had heard it was ridden for a few years after the 2002 shutdown, but I'm not surprised that it might have fallen into dissaray, as maintaining the pirate trails was not something you wanted to be caught doing back then.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Renegade said:
Radio flyer is the trail you access by heading west once you leave the lift, like you are heading over to do matterhorn. It starts near a "radio tower" building. A little ways down the trail, there is a small "road gap" jump. I had heard it was ridden for a few years after the 2002 shutdown, but I'm not surprised that it might have fallen into dissaray, as maintaining the pirate trails was not something you wanted to be caught doing back then.
There may be conflicting names then. The Radio Flyer I have been shown actually starts right above the tower and goes past it on the right side of the tower. It is overgrown and covered in deadfall.

The trail that I know as John Holmes, starts right above the tower (actually right next to RF) but traverses above and to the left of the tower and then doubles back towards the road gap and "Lion Down" road. The new legal PMT also comes out on Lion Down road right next to John Holmes.

So it seems that there is some confusion as to whether the trail is JH or RF but the locals I ride with say it is JH. But I did hear that that particular trail with the road gap is going to be legalized.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Well, it's pretty obvious it's been a long time since I rode there; in 2002, there was only one distinct trail right in that area. Seven years is a lot of time for names and trails to evolve. It sounds like the over-grown radio flyer you know is the one I use to know and ride as radio flyer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wormvine or pdh, do either of you know anything about the lift ticket/lunch combo?
I just looked at bike haul prices for this summer, $25, and right below it said for $30 you get bike haul and $25 towards lunch. do they really give you a $25 food voucher for an extra $5. i know stuff is expensive up there, but sure seems like a bargain to me. and a good way for vail to make sure a bunch of smelly DHers stink up their nice food establishments:)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
fathead said:
wormvine or pdh, do either of you know anything about the lift ticket/lunch combo?
I just looked at bike haul prices for this summer, $25, and right below it said for $30 you get bike haul and $25 towards lunch. do they really give you a $25 food voucher for an extra $5. i know stuff is expensive up there, but sure seems like a bargain to me. and a good way for vail to make sure a bunch of smelly DHers stink up their nice food establishments:)
You get a $15.00 voucher for lunch for $5.00 more.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Vail seems to be doing whatever it takes to get dhers back.
Eleven dollar lift tickets and lunch coupons, not bad

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
pdh said:
Vail seems to be doing whatever it takes to get dhers back.
Eleven dollar lift tickets and lunch coupons, not bad
They did the $11 tickets last year. You have to have had a ski pass but a good deal for sure. I was surprised that they did it this year. I am not sure what their motives are...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I guess it's all about the dollars. I've heard that Vail is going to "truly" compete with
the other resorts for downhill visitation. A re-work of Magic Forest & Old Nine -think longer
and additional trails added. Problem is I'm getting too old to keep waiting for it.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts