Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah Howdy, I have all next week to ride in and around Arcata and Blue Lake. I've done a little research and the local stuff looks great, joined RCMBA so I can ride the new stuff there, I can rent high end bikes nearby, ($70/day though), and the wife is busy at Dell Arte all day M-F. Just wondering if there's a day trip I shouldn't miss that's an hour or two from there. I don't need killer downhills (or climbs), and I can't hack much elevation. Any suggestions much appreciated.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The rcmba blue lake stuff is pretty much a steep fireroad climb and downhill trails. 10 miles will put you over 3,500 feet easy. If you like xc the community Forest is cool. Still a lot of climbing, but not as much per mile as blue lake. Lacks is also really fun, but is about 35-40 minutes out of town. Also Paradise Royale for xc loop. It's about 1:45 South. Those are the main places that are legal mtb trails.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
The rcmba blue lake stuff is pretty much a steep fireroad climb and downhill trails. 10 miles will put you over 3,500 feet easy. If you like xc the community Forest is cool. Still a lot of climbing, but not as much per mile as blue lake. Lacks is also really fun, but is about 35-40 minutes out of town. Also Paradise Royale for xc loop. It's about 1:45 South. Those are the main places that are legal mtb trails.
The Hatchery Ridge trails in Blue Lake are awesome but there would be metric **** tonne of fire road climbing and no signage. I got lost during practice for an event there last year. Maybe RCMBA has a group ride you could join or intel on other spots.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
The Hatchery Ridge trails in Blue Lake are awesome but there would be metric **** tonne of fire road climbing and no signage. I got lost during practice for an event there last year. Maybe RCMBA has a group ride you could join or intel on other spots.
Trails are now on trailforks and everything has signs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sticking within an hour drive:

Hatchery Ridge - well described in here. There is a good map on the Mad River Enduro website, and everything is on Trailforks. **** ton of climbing. Yes. It's almost 5 K of climbing to ride every trail on the hill, and you will want to ride there more than one day.
When in Humboldt, talk to Locals. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Poke around the community forest and sunnybrae. There is fun to be had. Talk to people.
Ossagon is a great loop, unique. Worth a shot.
Lacks is super fun, and it will be sunny if the coast is foggy. Recently maintained for the year. One of my favorite things is to ride Lacks in the afternoon, then sip a beer and watch the sun set over the poor suckers in the fog on the coast. There is a new DH line there, PM me for details if you decide to go.

Dell Arte is amazing, I can't wait.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Weaverville is amazing, but I thought it would be more than just 2 hours from Arcata.

Worth it if you want to make the trip. Trails are amazing. Dirt is good. Not tremendous elevation, you can make it a 4,000+ ride but can also keep it around 2,000 for 15ish miles.

The LaGrange race is well beyond 4000 in 24 or 26 miles. A lot of that is a single track climb followed by a fire road for a total of 4 miles or so.

I haven't been to the coast to ride. Weather should be nice and perhaps some damp dirt as it usually doesn't get too hot there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, had a great time in Blue Lake. Mostly rode Arcata town forest. Favorite trail 13.5. Also went to Lacks creek and that was amazing. Saw deer, a herd of horses on the trail, and a huge elk. Damn that drive up is scary, though. I met a big van on its way down, luckily had time and space to pull over. I was on the horn at all blind corners after that. I could see where a collision would be hard to avoid in certain circumstances, and getting help not easy. I loved it there, but could never go back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.