Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m building up a Rune this Spring after spending the last 6 or so years on a V2 Spitfire with a stout 160/140 build and in 26” mode. I love my Spitfire and didn’t have much of a reason to change until the new V3 lineup came out. I feel like I would have a blast on ANY of the new bikes so the choice was tough. In the end I’m content with the choice and damn eager to get out on this new Rune.

Currently waiting on a medium raw frame with a factory X2 (“upgraded” because it’s what I have on my Spitfire and mostly because....moar). This is my version of a Gucci build and other parts include a 2019 Fox 180mm grip2 36, WeR1 27.5 Unions on Onyx Vesper hubs, XT drivetrain and brakes and a OneUp bar, stem and dropper. It might end up being too nice, don’t want to feel bad treating this thing like a bike :).

Anyway, reviews are nonexistent as far as I can tell and it’ll be a couple weeks till I get this built up... anyone have any time on a V3 Rune who can weigh in and stoke the fire?

·
26 for life.
549 Posts
The stoke is high with this one.
I've had mine for 2 weeks & it's a big step up from my Spitfire.
Climbs better & descends way better.
Finally got a big fork for it today, Z1 Bomber coil, loving it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice kiwijohn, I think you were in the same boat as me earlier...kinda torn between the Spitfre and Rune. Glad to hear you’re happy with your choice. That bomber coil should be really fun. It’s so cool to hear how well your Rune climbs! I am constantly amazed by how versatile new bikes are. It’s almost like there’s no reason not to get a longer travel bike like the Rune these days.

I did a ride with my old Spitty tonight and broke some spokes casing a little gap. I sure am glad to be building up a new bike as the 7 year old parts on my current bike start to show their age.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi here,
I'm in the same position, currently running a '14 spitfire the new lineup is lurking to my wallet again :)
I was earlier more on the 29" things for my next one but will more probably go for a rune or a spit, so can't wait for your reviews and side by side comparison :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kiwijohn: Nice looking bike man! What travel are you running on the fork?

Hi here,
I'm in the same position, currently running a '14 spitfire the new lineup is lurking to my wallet again :)
I was earlier more on the 29" things for my next one but will more probably go for a rune or a spit, so can't wait for your reviews and side by side comparison :)
I know your struggle ;). My Rune should be arriving sometime next week but not sure how the pandemic will affect things. I'll definitely post here when the frame arrives and I've had some time on it. Here's my Spitfire:

IMG_3304.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
180mm on the forks @morox
Rad, thanks. The 36 I bought was a take-off and I got it at a steal. It's in 180mm mode as well which I thought might be too long for trail rides but I'll give it a go as is.

·
26 for life.
549 Posts
Need some more Rune stoke in here. Finally sent this road gap today. PU7Gc26.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey all, I’m building up a Rune this Spring after spending the last 6 or so years on a V2 Spitfire with a stout 160/140 build and in 26” mode. I love my Spitfire and didn’t have much of a reason to change until the new V3 lineup came out. I feel like I would have a blast on ANY of the new bikes so the choice was tough. In the end I’m content with the choice and damn eager to get out on this new Rune.

Currently waiting on a medium raw frame with a factory X2 (“upgraded” because it’s what I have on my Spitfire and mostly because....moar). This is my version of a Gucci build and other parts include a 2019 Fox 180mm grip2 36, WeR1 27.5 Unions on Onyx Vesper hubs, XT drivetrain and brakes and a OneUp bar, stem and dropper. It might end up being too nice, don’t want to feel bad treating this thing like a bike :).

Anyway, reviews are nonexistent as far as I can tell and it’ll be a couple weeks till I get this built up... anyone have any time on a V3 Rune who can weigh in and stoke the fire?
In the same boat as you guys... Running a 26" Spitty from '14. and super happy with it, but the V3 models looking really sweet... I recently bought a Kona Unit X for tours, XC rides and light trail duty, so looking to get a bigger bike.

In the running: Titan, Prime, Rune, Spitty and Knolly Warden/Fugitive... Will be some time since I pull the trigger on a new frame so checking all the reviews. Too bad there is no way to demo any of those bikes in Croatia....

20200406_194533000_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still stoked after three weeks. Next level bike for me. Great all-rounder from DH-park to run the dog in the woods. Modern geometry works fine with 26" tires. Banshee is a rare bike in Finland and I ordered it w/o testride because it just look so sweet:cool:
Rune rocks.jpg

·
Ride your ass off
15 Posts
Hi guys, since a lot of you have experience with both the Spitfire and Rune I would like to get an advice from you.

I own a Darkside fully built-up for bikepark/DH with a DVO Emerald and CCDBcoil. That bike was perfect on my travel to Whistler and I am having a great deal of fun on the gnarly Mont-Ste-Anne (which is my most local mountain). I have access to other fun bikepark in the 3-hours range and more in a 5-hours range (Highland and Sugarloaf, NB).

Needless to say this bike is less than perfect once you hit local trail without chairlift so I am considering something else. I know the Spitfire would be a great addition to the Darkside but considering I would only ride the Darkside on chairlift and that many of my local trail are more "enduro" I think I might be best suited with a Rune as a one bike for everything except bikepark/chairlift.

I know the Spitfire can handle many trail but how about a 10 feet drop? I don't mind being slowly for the uphill so if the new V3 Rune pedal really well it might be the best for me even if it's close to the Darkside, what you guys think?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Hi guys, since a lot of you have experience with both the Spitfire and Rune I would like to get an advice from you.

I own a Darkside fully built-up for bikepark/DH with a DVO Emerald and CCDBcoil. That bike was perfect on my travel to Whistler and I am having a great deal of fun on the gnarly Mont-Ste-Anne (which is my most local mountain). I have access to other fun bikepark in the 3-hours range and more in a 5-hours range (Highland and Sugarloaf, NB).

Needless to say this bike is less than perfect once you hit local trail without chairlift so I am considering something else. I know the Spitfire would be a great addition to the Darkside but considering I would only ride the Darkside on chairlift and that many of my local trail are more "enduro" I think I might be best suited with a Rune as a one bike for everything except bikepark/chairlift.

I know the Spitfire can handle many trail but how about a 10 feet drop? I don't mind being slowly for the uphill so if the new V3 Rune pedal really well it might be the best for me even if it's close to the Darkside, what you guys think?
You definitely would be better placed on a rune V3. Don't be worried about climbing ability, it will beat a lot of trail bikes up the hill.

·
Ride your ass off
15 Posts
Awesome, thanks Keith, you guys should get a call from Mathieu Performance for a quote/order soon! Hope you have a large black ano Rune in stock!

·
26 for life.
549 Posts
About time for an update, Bomber coil shock on the back to match the fork.
nYFfkxJ.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts