Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Been thinking about picking up a part time bikepacking bike with ability to shred. Itd mainly be a do-it-all mountain bike thats acceptable for bikepacking.

Eg. looking at going to South America for a few months, so itd be my only bike for a bit. But Id like to take camping gear and do anything from quick day trips to week-long outings. Probably nothing longer than that

Looking at the SC Tallboy, Norco Optic (AL prefered tho), and the Phantom V3. Any inputs on this for the Phantom? Or what would you recommend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bet the Phantom would be perfect for this. I’ve been using my V2 Spitfire (140rear/160front) like this for years. Has been fantastic. I love having one bike that can do everything from long bikepacking trips to trail rides in OR, WA and BC. I would consider the Prime as well. A good bikepack route should have fun singletrack! And why not ride your favorite bike on good single track? Basically I tend to be fine with a burlier bike (and more durable) at the expense of...I’m not sure what really. When I’m bikepacking, I really just want to be able to ride as close to normal as I would in any other ride. Meaning, I don’t want to feel like my bike is holding me back from having fun on the trail. Makes for more fun riding and less breakdowns on longer trips.

FWIW I’m putting my philosophy to the test and will be riding a V3 Rune on the Oregon Timber Trail this summer. Admittedly overkill but that’s the bike I want for everyday trail riding so that’s what I bought.

Realistically I think a Prime, Phantom or even Spitfire would all be perfect jack of all trade type bikes. Especially in South America where parts might be hard to come by, I would go with a heavier/more durable build.

Where are you going to ride in South America?

edit: After thinking about this, it’s clearly a personal choice... any of the bikes you listed but especially Phantom will be killer!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just finished my Prime build last week and rode 12 miles yesterday. I was afraid that I wouldn't like the long chain stays or wheelbase but it's the best turning bike I have ever ridden. Suspension felt great and I didn't make any adjustments from what I had set in the garage. Just need to bleed the rear brake and get some more dirt on it.

XL 32.2 lbs w/o pedals
How tall are you? I'm 6'4" with a longer torso, and trying to figure out if the XL will be big enough for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
B65C729F-471A-48E8-B061-78F5362BD670.jpeg

1A4131DE-DC66-41BA-9963-EE246ED7854E.jpg

Finally!!!! Replaces my Phantom......

Banshee Prime V3, size Large
MRP Ribbon Coil, 150mm
Industry Nine Torch hubs, Spank Oozy Trail 350 hoops
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT/ Aggressor 2.5WT
TRP G-Spec Trail SL brakes, 203mm/180mm rotors
Chromag BZA stem, 50mm
Chromag BZA 35 Bar
Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle
OneUp Dropper Post, 180mm drop, PNW Loam Lever
Cane Creek EEWings crankset, 175mm
Wolftooth 30 Tooth Oval Ring
EThirteen TRS Race 11 Speed cassette
KMC Ti Nitride chain
Shimano XTR 11 Speed derailleur
OneUp Pedals

*** Drivetrain will be replaced with Box One Prime 9 when available***

·
Registered
316 Posts
New Prime is dope. I've run the DPX2 and a Bomber CR.

DPX2 gives more support for pumping and pedaling. Bomber for more traction with some pedal bob. I swap back and forth depending on what I need for a particular ride.

Its the best cornering bike I've owned. And it looks sick AF in raw.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
It will not work. If this is something you are considering because you want more travel, then I suggest looking at the prime.
Thanks for the reply Keith, you would know! I already have a Phantom and love it, just exploring coil shock options.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this in another thread but it might be more relevant here.
I have a large prime v3 with the supplied dpx2 shock. I have 150psi in it to get 15mm shock sag, so not a lot, and am running out of rebound range. It is still too fast even with the rebound fully closed. Anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is this thread active still? 4 rides in my on my v3 phantom, and a couple things I am sorting out.

First, I have both dropout lengths. Have tried them both back to back and am undecided. On paper the shorts are still a pretty long chainstay, but I tried the long and actually really liked it in most parts of the trail. Felt like the bike had a bigger 'sweet spot' especially sweeping rough corners. Climbing steeps was way better (weight is further forward). On the negative, I didn't feel as comfortable on rock rolls; like the rear kicks up a touch more. Trail I was testing on didn't have any tight sections so I'll need to get more time, but intrigued by this chainstay debate. The internet has always told us that short chainstays are the ticket, but we've been wrong on almost everything over the years in bike geo, so I'm thinking that this may be the next trend change.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While I am on a V2 Phantom, I have been riding long dropouts for 2 years now. With the longer dropouts my chain stay length is 445mm. My initial reason for the long dropouts was completely practical-more tire clearance for mud. After a few rides I started to realize that climbing was better, the bike handled long sweepers well and overall it was a better ride. I have to work a bit harder on tight sections of trail but I can balance myself on the bike easily and push more power to the rear wheel without losing traction so easily. Overall a win for me. If I ever move to a V3 Phantom frame, I will get the long dropouts based on my V2 experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe the short dropouts are 445 on the v3, and the long are 455! Doesn't say on the website is the CS number is short or long.
I had a v1 phantom a few years back. This new one is a big improvement. My only suggestion is to run a shorter headtube. 130mm on a large is big, and so my stem is slammed. Its a good position, but I can't try anything lower. Especially since I am running a 140mm fork. Seat tube feels very steep, and seated the effective TT feels short. Not bad things, just what I noticed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just built mine up and took it for a winter ride. I have the same observations. I had to go home and slam my stem. So far the steep seat tube feels good, though, like the stem, i need to move my seat back on the rails.

·
fraid of heights
1,841 Posts
I just built mine up and took it for a winter ride. I have the same observations. I had to go home and slam my stem. So far the steep seat tube feels good, though, like the stem, i need to move my seat back on the rails.

LOL, and I'm looking for more stack! :)

(note, my forks steerer tube is a bit short for the frame, so I"m running a slammed stem but it's not by choice!)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts