Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any news/hints/rumours about a Prime / Phantom V3 model?

I am on the 6th season on the first Phantom model (longest time I ever had the same bike) and still like it a lot - but the new bike fever is getting stronger every month. :)

After the new Paradox is there a chance that new Phantom and Prime models are in the pipeline?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Any news/hints/rumours about a Prime / Phantom V3 model?

I am on the 6th season on the first Phantom model (longest time I ever had the same bike) and still like it a lot - but the new bike fever is getting stronger every month. :)

After the new Paradox is there a chance that new Phantom and Prime models are in the pipeline?
I think the pipeline is at least one more year long!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Holy sh.… was quite convinced to buy a RM Instinct in replacement of my 6 years old (yes also 6 years on the same bike) Spitfire. But then…. V3 arrived. Almost all weakness, when not all, of the V2 version has been corrected…. Difficult time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Amusingly enough the new prime geo is pretty close to what I fudged on my V2 prime by going up a size (6ft, 34" inseam on an XL), using an angle set and shoving my saddle forward.

New bikes look very, very nice, shame my Prime is only 6 months old...............

Any chance of a trade in policy Keith ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
That Phantom looks like it'll be the Smuggler killer for short travel enthusiasts. If I still lived in the Bay Area I'd absolutely be on a Phantom or Prime, though my Titan suits the PNW just fine :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
That spitfire is a dream bike. Takes the giant tires I like in a fairly aggressive geo, short travel package. If I bought a frame today...

Anyone know what the long dropout chainstay length is? I'm not seeing the dropout change impact on the Geo chart.

544 Posts
That spitfire is a dream bike. Takes the giant tires I like in a fairly aggressive geo, short travel package. If I bought a frame today...

Anyone know what the long dropout chainstay length is? I'm not seeing the dropout change impact on the Geo chart.
The long dropouts are shown with the 27.5" chainstay length (437/435mm). The compact dropouts are shown with the 26" chainstays.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i wonder what would happen if i accidently put a 185x55 shock on one of those new phantoms...?

Keith must have been expecting this :)
If you are thinking about doing that, what you really should be thinking about getting a prime... in theory it would give you similar travel.

The phantom is not compatible with any shock other than 185x50mm.

·
...In the meantime.
222 Posts
I just ordered me a large V3 Phantom frameset, to go with my V2 Prime. I'm pretty excited about getting a shorter travel ripper built up. If any of you Northern California folks happen to be in and around Sonoma County and want to check it out let me know.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Anybody else disappointed by the lack of size small 29ers? The new Prime looks like a sweet ride, but judging by the numbers, I think I'd be inclined to size down from a medium to a small. The new 650b bikes look sweet too, but I've been leaning towards a 29er next time I replace my full suspension bike. Hopefully I can find a way to demo a couple of these bikes in the coming months.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Anybody else disappointed by the lack of size small 29ers? The new Prime looks like a sweet ride, but judging by the numbers, I think I'd be inclined to size down from a medium to a small. The new 650b bikes look sweet too, but I've been leaning towards a 29er next time I replace my full suspension bike. Hopefully I can find a way to demo a couple of these bikes in the coming months.
There were a couple of factors here for why we don't make smalls.

#1 if the medium titan is too big for you, then honestly you are best avoiding 29" rear wheel... I personally have seen several good riders have serious crashes on steep trails due to 29" wheel hitting them up the arse and sending them over the bars.

#2 Balance... the weight distribution would be getting too forward bias using a small front triangle on the titan design.

#3 Lack of demand meant we couldn't justify the cost of jigs or hit minimums.

29" wheels are not for everyone, there is an element of thinking of wheel sizes along side frame sizes, and what will work best for you overall. A good example is Danny Hart... one of the best all round riders on the planet. He went 29" after pressure from sponsors (and probably a bit because he read the marketing) and he crashed out hard multiple times and became slower. Back to 27.5" rear wheel and he was back on podiums.

An option that you might want to consider is a mullet setup on a rune...benefit from smaller rear wheel and shorter chainstay to match your height, but have a 29" wheel up front to roll through chunder more easily. (160mm fork max for this setup)

·
Hard funkin´ Kraut
900 Posts
Just out of interest: Has someone a picture of a production Spitfire V3 in size large and can post it? Large frame or complete bike please.
All I see for now is medium size, while all other models are size large ...
Thank you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
There were a couple of factors here for why we don't make smalls.

#1 if the medium titan is too big for you, then honestly you are best avoiding 29" rear wheel... I personally have seen several good riders have serious crashes on steep trails due to 29" wheel hitting them up the arse and sending them over the bars.

#2 Balance... the weight distribution would be getting too forward bias using a small front triangle on the titan design.

#3 Lack of demand meant we couldn't justify the cost of jigs or hit minimums.

29" wheels are not for everyone, there is an element of thinking of wheel sizes along side frame sizes, and what will work best for you overall. A good example is Danny Hart... one of the best all round riders on the planet. He went 29" after pressure from sponsors (and probably a bit because he read the marketing) and he crashed out hard multiple times and became slower. Back to 27.5" rear wheel and he was back on podiums.

An option that you might want to consider is a mullet setup on a rune...benefit from smaller rear wheel and shorter chainstay to match your height, but have a 29" wheel up front to roll through chunder more easily. (160mm fork max for this setup)
Appreciate the reply, Keith (I presume?)!

I've gone back and forth on 650b vs 29 vs mullet quite a bit. You might be right about the 29" rear wheel being too big for me, although I'm 172cm which is within the range of the medium 29ers on your size chart.

My hardtail is a 29er and I have demoed several full suspension 29ers now (Switchblade, Firebird, SB150). Initially I did have more issues hitting my butt on the rear tire, but I've found that if I'm diligent about staying centered on the bike and not riding too far off the back, then it's largely not a problem. I finally worked up the courage to ride the SB150 down couple of the steepest trails I've ridden out in Simi Valley and loved the rollover and confidence the big wheels gave me. I find the 29" front wheel makes it easier for me to trust the bike and stay in an aggressive, centered riding position when things get real steep and chunky. But you're right, though; I think I'm right at the cusp of being able to comfortably fit a mid to long travel full suspension 29er (then again, look at Isabeau Courdurier!), so there probably is some added risk of hitting my ass and going OTB hard.

Mullet bikes seem like they might be the best compromise, but unfortunately there aren't many options for those without significant geometry compromises. I believe a Rune V3 mullet would have a sub-64 deg head angle and a ~6mm higher BB even with a 150mm fork. I think I'd rather just run 650b in the front as intended on that bike. It seems to me like the 29ers would actually make better mullet bikes if you just run them in the higher BB setting and maybe use a +0.5 or +1 angleset to retain the head angle and raise the BB back up a touch more, but then I run into sizing issues.

That being said, I'm still strongly considering a size medium Rune. I love what you've done with the latest generation of these bikes!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.