Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a '06 V3 and would like to upgrade to mechanical disc brakes but is not sure what will work on his ride. His budget is <$200. I think all he needs is the calipers/pads and rotors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it is an '06 bike, then it already has disc compatible hubs so all he would need are the brake calipers and rotors. You should be able to find good deals on Avid brakes to fit his $200 budget. He'll probably also need a good set of brake cables as well.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
twholland said:
A friend of mine has a '06 V3 and would like to upgrade to mechanical disc brakes but is not sure what will work on his ride. His budget is <$200. I think all he needs is the calipers/pads and rotors.
Make sure that the hubs have the ability to mount disc brakes. Example:

the website lists the hubs as disc, so you should be covered there.

Second, if coming from a V brake setup, you will need new cables and housing, as the old ones will not be long enough to reach.

My avids cost me $70USD a piece, and cables/housing does not need to be expensive.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
twholland said:
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the cable length, thanks. Its an '06 and the hubs are disc ready.

BB-5 or BB-7 ???
the BB7 has an outboard pad adjusment knob, to make adjusting easier.

The BB7 should be within the budget, so get them if you can. There are many good deals online, and you should not pay much more than $70US. If you can get the BB5 for substantially less than that, they will be great too, but if the prices are close, go for the BB7.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.