Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm awaiting my frame, so my pics are on the way.

Please post some up, or transfer them over from the V1 thread.

The new Covert deserves it's own thread! I could look at them all day.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My local trails do not require FS except for a few rocky sections but I think saving all my pennies, nickels, & dimes for a Covert frame & 6" fork for next year, I could MAKE it more than worthwhile. And of course, can take trips elsewhere to ride...

Hard decisions: save longer for Covert or a TransAM. Either one, would KILL! Wish I had the $ & room for both.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
Just finished mine

Specs:

Medium frame
'10 Fox RP23 & 36 TALAS
'10 Crossmax SX wheelset with 12mm bolt on rear axle
Transition AM Hammerschmidt build kit, with a couple part swaps:
Shimano XT 11-34 rear cassette - needed due to aluminum freehub body
X9 super short cage derailleur (build kit comes with a long cage)
Geax 2.3 TNT DHEA tires - I love High Rollers, which come in the build kit, but prefer
tubeless, and wanted to try out the DHEA's; they look like they'll work well, but are heavy at 2.15 lbs (~960g) for a tire that measures 2.2in. wide​
Shimano 520 SPD pedals
Avid Matchmakers

As pictured, 32 1/2 lbs. For Super D, I'll run lighter tires, and it should be in the 31 1/2 lb range.

Those Crossmax's are light

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was between the Covert and the Uzzi for my next bike, but I guess I made up my mind already. The white is just beautiful but I already have a white bike, so I might go with the new Raw or the green. But this bike looks like a killer. :thumbsup:

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
Blyth said:
Very nice! Might be just what I'm looking for! Does it ride the roots as well as it looks?
I don't know yet, it's so cold and snowy in Denver right now- I rode it yesterday at Boulder Indoor Cycling's mtb skills thingy, and that's the only riding it's seen so far.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
kali said:
very nice bike !! just a bit white but so nice !

It seems it is a Fox talas at 130mm right ? doesn't look like a 160mm fork

Good eye, the fork is actually at 100mm in most of the pics. The head tube angle is slack enough that running the fork that short doesn't feel overly steep, it feels like a super low trail ripper. The BB height is just over 13" with the fork at 100mm travel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
hmmmh at this time I can't understand why to run this bike at 100mm with hammerschmidt, SX and all that stuff...
it looks like a very big XC ;)

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
kali said:
hmmmh at this time I can't understand why to run this bike at 100mm with hammerschmidt, SX and all that stuff...
it looks like a very big XC ;)
Easy, with the turn of a knob, it's 160mm in the front. It makes for a more versatile setup. In CO, we have steep climbs, and running the front end really low at 100mm helps getting up steep technical lines. Then on the way down, you can take the bigger lines with a burly setup and 160mm.

This bike will also be used for some 4X and Dual Slalom, and a strong, low, short travel setup works very well in those situations. You don't always need big travel- look at other Transition bikes, like the Double and Bottlerocket. The Bottlerocket is way more beefy than the Covert, and shorter travel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know the utility of the Talas, but I just sold mine to get a float ;)
it works much better, and as you know it's harder on steep climbs, but best smoothness has a cost ;)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Guess a Float would do fine on the Covert, the geometry seems to be based around 160mm forks, so it might get things even front and rear! But the TALAS sure helps, but it's hard to beat the feel on both the Float and the Vanilla!

BTW, haven't seen the orange one at the start of the thread - nice! :thumbsup: The HS crankset and the SX wheels seem to be the first choice around here! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
mtg7aa that is a very sweet bike. I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy a covert but i can't quite decide. I'm a bit of a fat bastard (6' 2, 220lbs) and I'm not sure if the frame is strong enough. What do you guys, as owners of coverts, think?

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
Randy156 said:
mtg7aa that is a very sweet bike. I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy a covert but i can't quite decide. I'm a bit of a fat bastard (6' 2, 220lbs) and I'm not sure if the frame is strong enough. What do you guys, as owners of coverts, think?
Thanks.

The Covert should be fine, as long as you're not trying to use it as a DH bike, or take it off huge hucks, etc. It's a very substantial feeling frame.

1 - 20 of 381 Posts