Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been abusing my Original Surly Slugs rat bike 1 X 1 for way too many years and the canti brakes are giving up the ghost. I have a set of XTR V levers ready to go and am wondering what V-brake is the bestus with no costs considered vs bestest for the lestest.
Help a brother out and give me the 411 on your thoughts. I am disc only on my geary mtb and still on canties for the CX bikes. Never bought a set of Vs other than mini Vs for a cross bike.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
the "bestest for the lestest" is any v-brake with KoolStop pads. Black pads for dry, salmon for wet, black/salmon for a good mix

·
Combat Wombat
1,621 Posts
Thom H said:
Well, I have been abusing my Original Surly Slugs rat bike 1 X 1 for way too many years and the canti brakes are giving up the ghost. I have a set of XTR V levers ready to go and am wondering what V-brake is the bestus with no costs considered vs bestest for the lestest.
Help a brother out and give me the 411 on your thoughts. I am disc only on my geary mtb and still on canties for the CX bikes. Never bought a set of Vs other than mini Vs for a cross bike.
You have a good start with a set of XTR levers, got a couple sets of those myself. XTR V-brakes sure look cool, but for the money, you are hard pressed to do better than a set of Avid SD-7s, especially if you take boomn's advice and get some Koolstop pads to match your conditions.

·
Dive Bomber
770 Posts
I use Avid SD7 both brake and lever, compared to XT or XTR which one is better?

I just know that XT V-brake have different shape than other V-brake so just maybe it's better than SD7.

SD7 brakeset is only $30 while XT is $25 V-brake only without lever.

·
3,707 Posts
I've still got an old school Avid SD 2.0 on my Stumpy. If they ever get replaced, it will be either XTR or Paul Love.

·
Combat Wombat
1,621 Posts
jackspade said:
I use Avid SD7 both brake and lever, compared to XT or XTR which one is better?

I just know that XT V-brake have different shape than other V-brake so just maybe it's better than SD7.

SD7 brakeset is only $30 while XT is $25 V-brake only without lever.
I am not familiar with the newer XT V-brakes, BR-M770s, but they look good. I notice that on the newer XT Vs, they ditched the parallel-push linkage, which is probably a good thing. Back a few years before disc brakes were prevalent, in place of the the Avid turkey wobble post, there was the xt and xtr v-brake squeal posts. For me personally, I figured it just took proper setup. After actually owning a set of XTRs, what I liked best about them was how easy it was to re-sell them. Anyway, while I do not know if the XT is better than the SD-7, I am sure it is at least just as good.

As far as performance, a big part of the reason SD-7s have a good reputation are the Avid SD-7 levers. The speed dial adjustment makes a difference. I like XTR levers, but they do not function better than the SD-7 levers. I think of the XTRs as just more refined or in other words, bling. My Avid levers had noticeable slop in the levers and compared to XTRs, look cheap. I have owned one set of XTR levers for 8 years and they are still as smooth and rattle free as the day I got them. I also like how their version of speed dial is internal. For me, playing with the speed dial is a set and forget item and I am not concerned about how easy it is to play with on the trail. As much as I like them, I would never pay full retail. Got an incredible deal on my first pair, bought the second pair used. I see them on ebay all the time and would recommend that route if you really want a set.

All said and done, I do not think you are going to see any significant improvement over what you currenty use. If you want something nicer and have money to burn....you can definately do that.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I find that the pads and the rim surface make the biggest difference with regard to stopping power. Although, if want to have a confident feeling in your hands while braking, I recommend the XTR levers. Smooth as butter and tough as nails They are worth every penny, but they tend to be expensive.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
They hard to find anymore since they went out of production years back, but the Avid Mag SD brakes. The arms are made from magnesium, and if you upgrade the hardware you can get them quite light (mine are at 283g for front and back with all hardware and pads), but they're still very strong. Personally, I have several sets stashed away in case the ones on my bike die.

·
Registered
74 Posts
best bang for the buck are Acid SD-7's IMO. If you want lighter weight get th SD-SL's. Cost no option, probably some Pauls.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'd say XTR or Avids with the Kool Stop brake pads. The Kool Stop pads made a huge difference with my cross bike's cantis.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think your pad, lever, and cable/housing choices, routing, and setup make more of a difference than the actual brakes. My Avid SD-1's feel just as good as my old XTR's, all else being equal.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Avids: Some of the ones i've had "wiggle" on the boss. Yes, they stop, but the movement bugs me.

My vote is XTR. XTR's (older ones parallel push) have adjustments for bearing slop. Find them all over the "bay". I have them on 2 bikes, no squeal.

In reality, any cheap V's work pretty well.

I'm a V-and canti only guy myself, discs are on my dirt bikes!

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Sparticus said:
Avid Arch Supremes... bestest everest.

--sParty
Oh nice one Sparty! Avid Supremes; the best ever, of course they're not made anymore!!! If they are anything like my Arch Rivals, they are really nice; I use them on my tandem and they really do the job.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts