Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have the 1st Inbred 29 landed in Australia and 18 inch, Luv the bike had it for a few years now, and its about time for its mid life crisis.

I want to lighten her up, so new wheels and brakes are in order.

I was hoiping to go V-brakes the reduce weight, i already hace a KHS Tucson 3x9 with a Tora & BB7's but this is for an allrounder. The avids a magnificent, but as recently I'm no longer in the bike biz out here in Oz, I need to budget again.

The problem is with the bolt on v-brake mounts, cool idea, but the base plate that mounts on the frame fouls on the brake arm/pad. Thus when you release the brake to remove the wheel, you have a lot of trouble removeing the wheel even with the tyre deflated.

I was thinking of using these brakes From Cane Creek, I already have 1 set on order:
http://www.canecreek.com/direct-curve-5-brakes.html

I have Included a pics here so you can all see what i mean.

Brant If you see this Post would appreciate some input.

Help please :madman:

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
The problem is with the bolt on v-brake mounts, cool idea, but the base plate that mounts on the frame fouls on the brake arm/pad. Thus when you release the brake to remove the wheel, you have a lot of trouble removeing the wheel even with the tyre deflated.
Have you tried turning the pads around so the long part is in the front and the short part is in the rear? I remember having to do this with an old Manitou fork I had in the 1990s. Actually, I'm still running the same LX V-brakes today on my 29er (with rigid fork).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for responce

Yep tried it no luck.

That made the arms all skew with

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i was going to suggest shimming the post with washers or the like, but i'm not sure there is too much material to get past. hmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This happens to me with my dambala. I have to deflate the rear tire a bunch to squeeze it out. It's a pain I can deal with. :)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Just take a file to the brake boss alloy and file it down. We have a new version of those bosses in stock that have the alloy relieved, but you can do it with a file.

Same goes, I'd imagine, for the Voodoo ones - presuming they buy theirs from Vertech too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts