Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what peoples thinking is these days with disc vs v-brake on the 29ers and if your riding disc are you riding cable or hydraulic? If anyone has weight differences for v-brake and disc I would like to see them

·
Registered
325 Posts
BB7-Rs on my cyclocross bike.
BB7s on my Monster X
Juicy Ultimates on my Trail King

I weigh 208. I would say both hydros and mechs have their goods and bads (weight, smoothness, adjustability, maintenance, etc.). Pretty evenly-weighed for me.

MN Aussie said:
Just curious what peoples thinking is these days with disc vs v-brake on the 29ers and if your riding disc are you riding cable or hydraulic? If anyone has weight differences for v-brake and disc I would like to see them

·
Registered
930 Posts
MN Aussie said:
Just put a mullet setup on mine, Hope V2 hydro disc on the front (203mm rotor, 560g) and Extralite V on the back, ~250 total depending on the lever.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Running Avid BB7s on all 3 of my 29"ers (KM, Vulture and Leviathan). Since the levers and cables are the same, the weight difference is in the hubs, rotors and calipers. Even the BB7 calipers are only marginally heavier than moderately priced V brakes, so really it's in the hubs and the rotors. I'm running 185mm rotors which weigh about 150g apiece. With that and the heavier hubs I figure discs added about 1/2 pound at each end of the bike.

By the way, I live in the Pacific Northwest and ride year round, so discs are a must. Can't believe I wanted until 3 years ago to start using them. I would think that in Muddesota (where I grew up, FWIW) they'd be a pretty big advantage too, especially in the spring.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm using Avid BB7s, 203mm F and 160mm R, with Avid Speed Dial levers. Stock Avid pads in the front and one Avid and one Koolstop pad in the rear.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I have BB7s on my SIR9 and Formula Oro K18s on my new FS.

I have to say so far I like the BB7s better. They are GREAT, simple to adjust, bulletproof, and extremely cheap from Pricepoint.com. I am a bit afraid of the hydros I must admit. The difference in feel is really minimal, given you use good cables and work on a smooth cable path.

The BB7s are 160mm f/r and the Oros are 185mm f 160mm r. I think the big rotor up front is a good idea and am thinking of upgrading the front one on the Niner.

I wouldn't dream of going back to rim brakes. *shudder*

/edit -- also the Avid Speed Dial levers are *excellent*

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I use a mixture of Avid and Hayes Hydro's..

I have a new set of BB7's waiting to be used...:D

I don't think that I would go back to V's any more...

I really like the Avid Juicy 7's. Mainly because they have so much lever and feel adjustment.

R.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
BB7's 203mm rotors F&R with Avid Ultimate levers & Avid Flak Jacket cable set.

All the brakes I could ever imagine needing. The Ultimate levers are way spendo but worth it.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
MN Aussie said:
Just curious what peoples thinking is these days with disc vs v-brake on the 29ers...
Disc brakes are to me what Stan's tubeless set-up is to others. Some people don't want to deal with the hassle of Stan's and whine all over this board about how they hate waiting for their friends that use Stan's when it fails on them. I respond that any extra hassle of Stan's is worth it from a performance standpoint and I can get it to work for me. Well, I'm here to whine about how the people I ride with that use discs are always having to fiddle with them in the parking lot and delaying the start of the ride, or calling a halt to the proceedings and poking at them out on the trail. I live in the largely dry Wyoming Rockies (except for this winter -- it's snowing like crazy again) and I'm not large (~165 lbs) so the extra hassle of discs over V's is (for me) not worth the performance gain I would experience.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I've spent less time farting around with BB7s than I ever did with rim brakes.

(I was a reluctant convert)

on the other hand... spooge in my tires? *shudder*

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Here's the dealio....

What I find most favorable about V brakes is they allow you to build a dishless front wheel and a dishless, wide flanged rear wheel (if you're talking about a single speed). You can build a far lighter wheelset of equal if not greater strength than a disc setup using non-dished, non-disc rims. I've built up silly light dishless, V brake, SS wheelset that stay in true far better than my much heavier disc sets. Vs are simple, light and get the job done on a rigid SS. On a burlier FS rig ment to tear up the downhills I don't feel Vs have enough stopping power, especially in wet weather. So on my heavy duty gearie I run Avid Mechs and on my SS I run Avid Single Digit Vs. Overall I'm faster on my SS and have more fun on my SS but hey, I still like the gearie for the easy days. Regarding the discs, the Avid Mechs do work great, are very reliable and pretty darn cheap.

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
Disc are hard to beat going hot into corners....

I was one of those people that had to be dragged kicking and screaming from V brakes to disc... I thought they were overkill and much too heavy.... until I started riding a bike that had them....now I whine when I have to go back and ride V's. I run the Avid Mechs on both the SS Curtlo and my squishy 5.5 and love them. It takes a bit of an adjustment to go back and forth.

OMR...:cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.