Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make the switch from v-brakes to disc and I was wondering what cables I should use? Do they come in different lengths because I have a 21" frame? How can I make them fit in my stock cable stays on the top tube. I have tried searching but I can't find anything relevant. Thanks
Jeff

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Since you say you're using cables, assume you're going to a mechanical rather than hydraulic disc? The cables themselves come generally in lengths of 1.7 m or longer, usually 2.7 m or more for the longer ones (the longer lengths are for tandem bicycles or other special length needs, the 1.7s work for most others).

I would recommend you consider a full housing run for your brakes and bypassing or modifying the stock guides on your frame. Housing that comes in sets is often sold in lengths to work with interrupted housing run setups, and isn't always suited for a full housing setup; you just have to read the length of the housing on the package if you want to run full housing when you buy these prepackaged sets. Many shops (and I do it for myself, too) buy their housing in reels and cut to required length as needed. In any case the housing should be customized to your particular bike by cutting. Here's an article from parktool to get you started on housing length http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=113

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You don't need a new rim. But you will need to make sure that you have a disc compatible hub. In many cases, it is more cost effective to purchase a new wheel than to have your old rim laced to a new hub.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Others assumed mechanical discs, is that the case ?, as opposed to hydraulics ?.

Reason I ask is I just purchased a wheel/shifter/brake/rotor combo from Jensonusa, $299 for the whole shebang.

- Sun Rhyno rim, DT single butted spkes on XT CenterLok hubs
- XT 765 Dual Control shift/brake levers
- XT brakes/rotors

Since my '04 Stumpjumper had mounts for disc brakes on the Fox fork and R frame, this kit was a cinch to install as it came completely ready to go with housings pre-bled and hooked up.

Only downsides I saw were 1) The Rhyno rims are heavy, but beefy, which is a good thing in my case as I'm heavy and beefy, and 2) You need to learn a new shifting style with Dual Control, that not everyone is crazy about

Other then that, this system installed painlessly and was a steal.

SB

·
Registered
26 Posts
discs or better quality v-brakes

Also thinking about a disc upgrade, but thinking maybe a better v-brake upgrade.

Have two options (both second hand) - please no advice about whether to go new or second hand.

Current setup: Cannodale generic v-brakes on Jekyll 400 2004.

Option 1: Hayes HFX9 carbon on heavy wheels (Cannondale Fire hub, Mavic XM117? rim)

Option 2: Shimano XTR v-brakes on Mavic Crossmax SL wheelset.

I am a lightweight conservative rider and live in a low-low rainfall area.

It was whilst toying with endurance riding that I thought about the disk upgrade, but I also wanted to loose some weight. In a recent 8hr race it was my hands that wore out first (I am sure riding style has something to do with it).

I am not in the market for a new bike. I need to work with what I have.

Any advice greatly received.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.