Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Tragically Flawed"
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this belongs in "Brakes".

Anybody care to offer a guideline as to how much rim wear is tolerable, and when it becomes dangerous?

The rims in question do not have a "wear groove" built in, so I'm wondering when they need to be retired. The braking surface is somewhat concave. So the question is- how much wear is too much?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
seawind161 said:
Sorry if this belongs in "Brakes".

Anybody care to offer a guideline as to how much rim wear is tolerable, and when it becomes dangerous?

The rims in question do not have a "wear groove" built in, so I'm wondering when they need to be retired. The braking surface is somewhat concave. So the question is- how much wear is too much?

Thanks...
When the rim sidewall blows out you waited too long (been there).

If the outer edge of the rim feels like it is bowed out--wider than the inside (spoke) edge--it is time to replace. Also look for deep gouges or cracks in the braking surface.

·
"Tragically Flawed"
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
When the rim sidewall blows out you waited too long (been there).

If the outer edge of the rim feels like it is bowed out--wider than the inside (spoke) edge--it is time to replace. Also look for deep gouges or cracks in the braking surface.
Arright, I'm definitely looking to avoid Option "A". :eekster:

Might be time to replace that thing...

Thanks!

·
"Tragically Flawed"
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A followup:

Called a friend who suggested that I mount a tire (deflated), then put the wheel in the truing stand and set the indicators as close to the rim as possible without contact, at the outer edge, then (over)inflate the tire. The idea being that if the rim was weakened, it would bow out and contact the indicators. I did, and it didn't; I could see no difference.

With the tire inflated to 60 psi, I put a vernier caliper across the rim. It contacted equally at the outer and inner diameters on both sides, but there was light showing in the middle of the braking surface- though less than a millimeter.

It's a rear rim, on a bike that doesn't see much stress, and my health insurance is paid up for the next six months. Let's Ride! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.