Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dj bike had V-brakes on it and now I'm putting on disc brakes. I already removed the brakes and now wantr to remove the posts that the brakes screwed into. It's the cylinder like part of the mount, not the part that's welded to the frame. How do I remove that?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mtnbiker7 said:
My dj bike had V-brakes on it and now I'm putting on disc brakes. I already removed the brakes and now wantr to remove the posts that the brakes screwed into. It's the cylinder like part of the mount, not the part that's welded to the frame. How do I remove that?
If it is a steel frame it probably is not removable.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
If it is a steel frame it probably is not removable.
Aluminum frame. When you look at it you can clearly see it was screwed in. When I try to loosen it the wrench just slips. The threads aren't reversed... right?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
I removed mine with a tool my neighbor let me use. It was a small pipe pliers kinda like a chanell lock it increased tension as I turned but the studs came right out! The loctite on the threads is very strong. You can use the heat meathod but I wouldent! Just be carefull!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
If you dont care about keeping them I would just Vice Grip them and turn (lefty loosy, righty tighty). They shouldn't be so tight that you cant get them out. I have removed them from my frame and a fork, with no problems. Both appeared to have blue loctite on them which is not a super high strength and is for stopping vibration loosening.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
mtnbiker7 said:
Aluminum frame. When you look at it you can clearly see it was screwed in. When I try to loosen it the wrench just slips. The threads aren't reversed... right?
That wrench slipping part doesn't sound right...you using the right size wrench?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
A small propane torch, heat gun, or the touch of a large soldering iron to the brake stud (not the painted boss) is all it takes. Nothing dramatic, no heroics.
Even a hair drier will work.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
May or may not help but stuck bolts some times loosen if you tighten them, then try and loosen them.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Dremer03 said:
If you dont care about keeping them I would just Vice Grip them and turn (lefty loosy, righty tighty). They shouldn't be so tight that you cant get them out. I have removed them from my frame and a fork, with no problems. Both appeared to have blue loctite on them which is not a super high strength and is for stopping vibration loosening.
I agree on that one.........if you never plan on putting them back in, just clamp a vice grip on them and haul away. I would leave them in for a little bit, on my old hardtail with a rear disk, I had to jury-rig a brake booster on them to get my rear disk to stop vibrating the frame.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
That wrench slipping part doesn't sound right...you using the right size wrench?
I was using a creasent wrench that was a s tight as it would go. Tonight I'm gonna try some WD-40, heat and the vice grip. The combination of all three should work no problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok after about a half hour of being saturated in WD40 they came right out. I found the best way too, it's a combination of all the advice I got. The best way I found is saturating the bolts in WD40 for 30-40 minutes. Then heat up the bolts until the WD40 just starts to smoke. Then tighten a vice grip as much as possible and have at it. The bolts should come right out. When I removed I saw they had red locktite don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
172 Posts
mtnbiker7 said:
ok after about a half hour of being saturated in WD40 they came right out. I found the best way too, it's a combination of all the advice I got. The best way I found is saturating the bolts in WD40 for 30-40 minutes. Then heat up the bolts until the WD40 just starts to smoke. Then tighten a vice grip as much as possible and have at it. The bolts should come right out. When I removed I saw they had red locktite don't know if that makes a difference.
Red Loctite is a step up form blue, and heat is just about a requirement when dealing with it. My frame only had blue, i was lucky that a set of vice grips pulled them out with ease.

·
Registered
552 Posts
FWIW, I just removed the v-brake bosses from my hardtail yesterday. I used a 8mm open-end wrench, which was only about 4" long. Surprisingly, both the front and rear bosses came out with minimal effort. The front bosses were in an '08 Reba Race, and the rears were in a Ti frame. The thread locker on the front was blue and rear was white.

I used black electrical tape to block off the fork, and left the rear open:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts