Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
for three!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes, i'm going to be upgrading my v-brake system with a new set, and i was wondering how tough the install was? I'm not exactly a bike mechanic when it comes to putting things together, and the only thing i've installed on my bike are handlebars and a stem. But looking at the bike, i'm sure i could just bolt on the new set fairly easily. But the thing i'm not so sure about is the tweaking of the brakes and everything else, so that's why i'm thinking about just letting my bike shop do it. I'll also be installing new levers as well. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Its straight-forward. Just look at everything(all the parts) and change one at a time. Our shop would charge like 20 bucks to instsll it, so not worth it. good luck

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
DIY! it's not hard, learn how to do it and you won't have to take it to the shop to work on again.
check out park tool's linear brake service page. If you're getting new pads, I like to get the type where you can swap out just the pad part (ie cartridge brake pads like the avid rim wrangler 2's).
Be sure to clean your braking surface too!

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Thumbs up for the park tool service page.

Unless you're riding your bike around the block, EVERYONE should know how to do basic maintenance on their bikes. Even if you're not mechanically inclined. Eventually something will break on the trail. You'll appreciate being able to do a simple repair rather than pushing the bike a few miles. Things like BB service or hub repair you wouldn't do on the trail so take that to the LBS if you want. But brakes, shifters, and derailleurs are very common to have trail problems with.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I recomend getting new inner cables for the install. You'll also want a couple end crimps so the cables don't fray.
Trying to reroute old inner cables can be a [email protected] and will make the job 10 times harder/more frusterating.
Might be a good time to pick up some cable cutters. I have a large set of linesman *sp pliers that will cut cables as well.....but if you are gonna do it yourself, drop the $20 for cable cutters. They'll last you the rest of your life if you only use them to cut cables.

Installing the brakes and levers is a snap. I would DIY for sure, and you will feel a sense of accomplishment after doing so. Just follow the instructions, and use the park tool webpage......if you do so there is no way you can mess up.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Sorting the cables is probably the hardest part (maybe better do inner AND outer). At least Shimano and Avid have pretty decent instructions available for download, although new components usually come with printed instructions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.