Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. The spacing on the brake bosses on my old Accutrax fork is huge. My XTR V brakes are too far apart and look more like an upside down V. Are there any other brakes that would have a much wider adjustability?
Mucho thank -- Doss

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.... v-brakes on an old yeti sound a bit weird...

Yes it is a bit weird. So is the basket. It's been in the family too long to put out to pasture -- but I'm not really interested in a "period" restoration. But I do get your point.

I love the frame -- but I like good brakes too. I've got the XTR V's maxed out for adjustment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my friend curly used V brakes on accutrax for some time with no problem. are you using real narrow rims

Yes, and I've had the distance from boss to boss measured and (I don't know the number) but the builder said wow, those are pretty far apart.

My XTR V brakes work -- just not well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you want to get adventerous you take the brake pad holder, remove the pad and pull the threaded post out, then find a longer replacement bolt (you might have to "modify" the head depending on what you find). Then it would be a matter of adding spacers to make up for the added length. Just a thought.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Older Yeti forks/frames hide wide boss spacing. You used to see this in particular on the Ultimate frames. When Answer got the production rights to the Accutrax fork, one of the revisions was the spacing of the brake bosses. The only Vs that'd fit the wide spaced forks/frames are the ones which use studded brake pads (like cantilever brakes). This limits you to the really cheap ones (low end shimano and so tektros and C-stars) or to really high end stuff like Avid Tri-Align 3s.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
I had the same issue with a Yeti and XTR vs. I moved all the post spacers inboard and found a wheelset with wide rims. Think M261 or Sun-Ringle modern offerings. After that, they worked fine.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Find a brake pad that is thicker than the stock shimano one. IIRC, I used some WTB dual compound pads in XTR holders that required loosening the cable anchor because the WTB pads were thicker. Not sure if there are any aftermarket pads that are thicker - Kool Stop? I'm sure the combination of suggestions will get your brakes to be properly spaced out.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
you may be able to add some spacers on the inboard side and still have enough threads for the posts left I did this myself on my croll. I also used some thicker pads also wtb (razerblades) those might be hard to find though.

Will

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
It can be done....I went the XTR V route at one point, but I'd never do such a thing again.

You really have to fiddle to get them set up right, but it can be set up and work correctly:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.