Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

about to start the next project, due to $$$ this is going to have to be a budget build.

My idea is a 1x9 or 2x9 drivetrain, preferable v-brake but disc ok.

Some thing like a Soma juice, or even a Kona Smoke 2-9. I just want reliable and a bit of longevity.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
We've got one Kona Smoke in the household and I am just continually astonished at how high quality it is for the money. I'm riding a $2000 build up of a Vassago for my 9er, while the gf rides the Kona, which was like $350 at REI. I love my bike, but I'm envious of the V-brake mounts, the pannier mounts, and the incredible quality of the parts for the cost. On the downside, it's heavy! It's like a tank because almost every part on the bike that can be steel...is steel, including the handlebars it appears. But that issue can be upgraded into oblivion. My only complaint with it is the stock crank/bb feels a tad bit clicky or something when I stand up on the Kona and crank back and forth - but it's a triple and you would be replacing that with a single anyway...so problem solved.

I definitely wouldn't bother with a Surly though unless you can afford to just buy the frame and outfit all the parts yourself. Their build quality is way overrated and just not cool. My buddy got a Karate Monkey from the LBS, it was great until he had it for a few months, then the crank started making weird slipping issues, the front brakes would cause the fork to bend terribly and make awful noises...and it's an SS bicycle. I mean for $1300 + SS it should be bulletproof. The Kona for $350 with gears + V-brakes just can't be beaten for the price.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
Hi all,

about to start the next project, due to $$$ this is going to have to be a budget build.

My idea is a 1x9 or 2x9 drivetrain, preferable v-brake but disc ok.

Some thing like a Soma juice, or even a Kona Smoke 2-9. I just want reliable and a bit of longevity.

:thumbsup:
Love my Juice. Bought it over a KM, Monocog, etc.
Running it SS - but have parts in the bin to turn it into a 3x1 or a 1x9.
That will wait... having fun in the snow as a FG / SS machine.

If I were to do it over I'd get a disc specific fork, as I bought the IRD option listed on Soma's website. First thing I did was upgrade the front to disc... so now I have canti bosses that I don't need... not a big deal - and I can always sell the fork to someone who wants for V brakes...

Note that I had most of the parts to transplant from the Surly CrossCheck... frame and fork was somewhere round $500 or so.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers

Thanks for the feedback folks, Seem like to Kona Smoke is looking like a better option all the time. I plane to only keep the frame and fork anyway, the rest will be upgrade central.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ditto on Redline

My local shop has a d440 for $650. 1X8 with disc hubs and v brakes stock. easy upgrade to discs and has some nice specs for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.