Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced a set of cable/ housing and found out the old cable still appeared to be in pretty good shape, it's the housing that got all the dirt and beaten up. Since I have lots of housing left, should I just replace the housing next time and leave the cable alone?
B.T.W. how often do you replace brake and shift cable for your bike? I used a Shimano M-system (XT) cable but didn't improve that much, would a XTR or teflon coated cable make a difference? Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Cable's cheap, visiting the hospital after your brakes fail isn't. Spend a couple bucks on a new one. Conventional wisdom is to replace them yearly. I don't follow that religiously, but if you're taking the time to replace the housing throw a new cable in there. I've heard some teflon-coated cables tend to lose the teflon over time, I'd just go with stainless.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
shiggy said:
I much prefer Teflon coated cables.
I'll defer to Shiggy. I was reading old reviews of Avid Flakjackets the other day, and they mentioned the Teflon coating deteriorating. May have just been Avid's implementation. I will say my new, Teflon-free Flakjackets are very smooth, we'll see how they hold up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.