Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adjust my front V-Brake because one of the brake arms makes contact with the rim well before the other one does. I can't seem to get the both to move at the same time. I tried the spring adjustment screws already. Is this something I need to worry about?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I would check if the springs are in the middle hole on the fork mount post.

With the cheaper v-brakes, the springs are not well made. You could just try bending one of the springs or repositioning the spring in a different hole.

Or get better brakes.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The spring adjustments are what will correct this. Are you sure you did it correctly? You need to tighten the spring on the arm that is hitting the rim first and loosen the spring on the one that is not.

Its not something you need worry about, as long as your brakes work well. But I always like to have my brakes working perfectly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Try tightening both arms completely and then loosening the opposite arm that is coming into contact. That should work... unless there's no spring tension on one or both of the arms.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Sometimes with spring adjustments, I find that I have to turn the screw quite a bit before any movement happens. Sometimes the movement is sudden and dramatic. Sometimes it's better to loosen a screw on one side or tighten a screw on the other side. Sometimes I do both to get things to line up correctly.

Oh, and watch to be sure that your springs are not disengaged. More than once I've caught myself vainly trying to adjust a set of rim brakes only to realize (duh!) that one of the springs had disengaged from the brake arm.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Be sure to put a drop of oil on the pivots, so friction doesn't compromise your adjustments. Also be sure that the cable routing is free and flexible, since often the cable tugs or pushes the brake off center.

Once that's done, try adjusting the spring tension screws, loosening or tightening as appropriate.

One warning, cheap brakes often come with springs not made of quality spring steel, and won't respond to your adjustments. On these it's often necessary to dis-engage one leg and flex it slightly for more tension, then re-assemble and adjust.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sanjuro said:
I would check if the springs are in the middle hole on the fork mount post.
There is only one hole for the front brakes. The rear brakes have 3 holes though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts