Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a v-10 size medium with a DHX 5.0 which shipped with a 400lb spring. I weigh between 210 and 220 geared up. I knew the stock spring wouldn't be up to the duty, so I ordered a 500lb spring and I really don't notice much difference. I have a friend telling me I need a 700 and have just ordered it. Is anyone else out there running such a heavy spring?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
singletrack said:
Well, I was thinking of payload capacity for hauling around all those sandbags.
;) ouch. No sandbaggin' for me this year, I just renewed my license with the upgrade. Now I should be a happy moderate, middle-packer. My goal is three podiums next year, but that is a tall order. It will be very difficult for me to attain.
 

·
Absurd
Joined
·
919 Posts
600-650 sounds about right. I'm about 195 with everything on and I just moved up from a 450 to a 500 on my large, the difference is pretty noticeable, its a huge improvement. A friend of mine weighs about 200-210 and he uses a 600 pound for racing, I'm pretty sure his is a large too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MVRIDER said:
600-650 sounds about right. I'm about 195 with everything on and I just moved up from a 450 to a 500 on my large, the difference is pretty noticeable, its a huge improvement. A friend of mine weighs about 200-210 and he uses a 600 pound for racing, I'm pretty sure his is a large too.
That's good to hear that the difference was noticeable for you. Hopefully getting the correct weight spring will do the trick. I'm lovin' the ride, but honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the 400 and 500. Thanks for the info, mvrider!
 

·
Absurd
Joined
·
919 Posts
.thumper. said:
That's good to hear that the difference was noticeable for you. Hopefully getting the correct weight spring will do the trick. I'm lovin' the ride, but honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the 400 and 500. Thanks for the info, mvrider!
No problem, glad to help a v10 brother out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, just a couple though, and not very good, either. I'm still waiting for the money to get the 2006 Boxxer WC ordered for it, the Super-T is only on there 'til I get the new one. Other than that, the build will remain about the same for next race season except for the perishables (tires, derailleur, etc).
 

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,000 Posts
MVRIDER said:
600-650 sounds about right. I'm about 195 with everything on and I just moved up from a 450 to a 500 on my large, the difference is pretty noticeable, its a huge improvement. A friend of mine weighs about 200-210 and he uses a 600 pound for racing, I'm pretty sure his is a large too.
spend anywhere from 150 to 220 and get a TI spring...weight savings and a better feel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
spend anywhere from 150 to 220 and get a TI spring...weight savings and a better feel
I really am planning on getting a Ti spring for it at some time before race season next year, but I need to find the correct spring weight using steel before I drop that kind of money. I have heard it can be difficult to get a Ti spring for the DHX's, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
.thumper. said:
Yeah, just a couple though, and not very good, either. I'm still waiting for the money to get the 2006 Boxxer WC ordered for it, the Super-T is only on there 'til I get the new one. Other than that, the build will remain about the same for next race season except for the perishables (tires, derailleur, etc).
good looking bike, i like the blue
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,000 Posts
.thumper. said:
I really am planning on getting a Ti spring for it at some time before race season next year, but I need to find the correct spring weight using steel before I drop that kind of money. I have heard it can be difficult to get a Ti spring for the DHX's, though.
you should be able to switch your 500 pound spring for a heavier spring for free...if not the company you bought the upgrade sucks...unless you have had it for a while

check out push...they might have Ti springs for your shock........you will save about 1/2 to 1 pound of weight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
you should be able to switch your 500 pound spring for a heavier spring for free...if not the company you bought the upgrade sucks...unless you have had it for a while

check out push...they might have Ti springs for your shock........you will save about 1/2 to 1 pound of weight
I bought the frame new from SC through the bike shop I am sponsored by. SC was supposed to ship the bike with a 500 lb spring installed on the DHX, but they were out, so I had them ship it anyway. It would take a lot longer for me to go through Santa Cruz to get the heavier springs, so I ordered them from a different source. No real issue, they aren't very much money at cost.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top