Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
i never ran 175's on mine, only 170's and 165's. I ran some older XT's that were 170mm and wacked them on TONS of ****, prob 1-2 times a ride easily. Back in late 06 i got a pair of proto holzfeller oct's in the 165mm size and run them to this day. hit them prob once since i got them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
get 165s...there is a quirk that V10s show when you power out of a dip and start cranking before you've cleared the lip and the suspension sits down...the difference between 165 and 175, even 165 and 170 is the difference between not catching the ground or catching it and going sky-ground-sky-ground

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Mudd, I even run 170mm cranks on my trail Nomad because of pedal smacking. I can only imagine what a really long travel DH rig like V10 would do with 175mm cranks. It would be interesting to see a V10 with the suspension completely compressed while sitting on a flat piece of ground. The ultimate BB height would probably be scary looking. This isn't a slam to the V10, as most long travel DH bikes would exhibit this same characteristic. Otherwise you'd start off with fully extended BB heights of 20" or such...LOL!...OK, a slight exaggeration there.

On the difference between 170mm and 175mm cranks on a trail bike, I was surprised to find that there wasn't a night and day performance difference in pedaling power and efficiency. On long travel bikes, perhaps it's not as noticeable. Short travel bikes, rigids, and other such bikes seem to be more sensitive to crank length as far as power delivery is concerned. You spin the cranks on long travel bikes more than just "mash" them, so maybe that's the main issue. Riders are different, however, but this is generally what I notice as far as crank length advantages. In the long run, however, seriously smacking pedals on long travel DH bikes is probably the biggest reason to run shorter cranks. Everything's a compromise.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!
Cambria has a great deal on 170's now, but I think I'm gonna take your advice and try to find a set of 165's.
Thinking about a 38 tooth setup, then I'll move to a bigger ring eventually.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have 170's on my Cuervo and I'm smacking pedals on the ground all the time. The V-10's a pretty similar bike, so I wouldn't go any longer than 170 on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dude I've got 170's on mine and on rocky tracks I still catch them on stuff with some regularity - it's not good for your confidence. I'd say 170mm max, but even consider 165mm - I am.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah i might have to get some shorter i went riding yesterday and you have to fully have the inside pedal dodging things at the same time trying to dodge things with the outside, i have a good reason to buy new cranks now :thumbsup:

i need to learn how to pull money out of my a*** :eekster:

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
170's are fine. Learn to time your pedal strokes. Pedaling in a section rocky enough to catch pedals is usually counter-active to actually carrying speed anyway. 175's are pushing your luck, even with precisely timed pedaling. 165's are essentially fool-proof.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know of a good source for buying 165's?
Prefer the "under $150" price range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts