Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about the Uzzi VPX.

Since they don't make it anymore, I couldn't find the geometry on their site but I think I found it else where...is this it:

Size: S M L
Top Tube 21.75 22.75 23.75
Head Tube 4.625 4.625 5.25
Head Angle 67 degrees
Seat Tube 15.375 17.75 20.75
Seat Angle 70.5 degrees
Chain Stay 17.25
BB Height 14.125
BB Width 73mm
Standover 31"
Headset 1.5
Seat Post 31.6mm
Wheel Base 42.875" 43.75" 44.625"

Also a sizing question, I'm 5' 6" with a 30.5" inseam and having a hard time deciding between the Small or Medium. This is bike is going to do everything (am, fr) so keep that in mind. The small's top tube seems a little small but the medium's top tube seems a little large. My XC bike's top tube is 23.1" is seems big for me even for a XC bike with a 60mm stem on it.

Any help there would be nice.

Is anybody else running a 36 Van on there's? If so is the front too low or anything?
I'll probably just run a Totem but I'm curious about a 160mm on the front.

I'm between this and a Vp Free, I like this better since I don't need almost an inch and a half more travel and the head angle is a little steeper.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
You can get the geometry off of the owner's manual at their 2007 website: http://www.intensecycles.com/new07/web_07.html

Uzzi is a tall bike with high BB made for Northshore FR. I have Totem 1.5" and my BB is something like 14.75." (6" forks with flush 1.125 headsets will lower BB/standover height.) I have medium, and my standover height is quite high.

If you are 5-6" and worried about the standover height, Slopestyle might be a better fit for you, especially since Intense doesn't make Uzzi anymore. VP Free (also not made anymore) is similar to Uzzi and has a high BB/standover height.

I kind of built mine light (36lb), but it is definitely not a AM bike. Fireroad climbs are okay, but I wouldn't be able to climb up steep technical trails without difficulty and modifications (Lyric U-Turn or Fox Talas 36 or something similar).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Cable0guy, at your height the slope style would work very well for what you are describing. I wish I had one but am too tall given the seat tube length.

The uzzi does work well with a 160mm fork. I run the Lyrik with good results. Anything bigger and the bb really starts to get quite ridiculous. And with an adjustable fork mine climbs very well considering it weighs 40lbs. I don't find the head angle too steep but would still prefer the bb was quite a bit lower.

On the sizing, it is near impossible to try and figure out the right size based on top tube measurements due to different seat tube angles between bikes and often the numbers quoted are not correct. The cockpit length (bb to head tube in horizontal plane) is far more important as you can always change seat posts (offset or not) and seat positions. But unfortunately this is not quoted. Best bet of course is to try one, but failing that wait for someone around your height to comment. Just try not to fall into the top tube comparison trap, in most situations unless bikes are very similar it will not give you a great indication of size.

If I was you I would err on the short side, provided you do not hit your knees on the handle bars short is good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the showing where the geo was. I'm not to worried about the standover since that just something I have to deal with.
An SS would be awesome even a burly 6.6 but used prices on those frames are still too much for me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm 5'7" and have a small with layback seat post.:thumbsup:

I tend to ride it in the French Alps on Holiday so I chose the layback to give me a better riding position when going across or up. I found the medium to be a great trail bike geometry for me but would have been large for the DH sections. :eekster:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.