Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of grabbing a good deal on an '05 Uzzi VPX at a local shop, but I really want to build it for DH instead of freeride, and this one has 135 dropouts. I was a little shocked to see that the 150s from Intense are over $200. Anyone have any 150s they'd like to get rid of?

Or, should I just go with the 135 dropouts and find a bolt on 135 hub?

Are the dropouts the same year to year and size to size, or do I have to get dropouts from the same year/size? Anything bad about an '05 vs. '06 or '07?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
You'll probably find a few people who want to get rid of their 150s. Why do you want 150s? Do a search (or just look down a page or two), and you'll find some good replies on this subject.

In my opinion, I'd stay with the 135. That gives you so many more options for hubs and a good chainline.

As far as I know, the VPX is the same from 05 to 07. I have an 05, and I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got a Uzzi on order ( still waiting ) and i'm going to use it for Dh so i've gone 150, the people building the bike say the chainline shouldn't be a problem for single front ring setup.
It will mean i can run mavic ex823 rims instead of ex729's which i have at the moment. The dishless rear wheel i'm hoping will make up a bit of the strength between the two different rims. Plus i get to go tubeless at the same time save a bit of weight. I've gone for Burgtec hubs to as they claim them to be the lightest 150 hub on the market and the quality is good too.
I say go for it. Do search there is a lot on it i had the same decision luckily i have got them with the frame - its a lot of cash for some dropouts. Maybe try E-bay

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
If you go to www.burgtec.com you can see the hubs. There is little info on them really. They say there the lightest. But i've never heard of the tune stuff. So many manufacturers out there. The Burgtec stuff always get 10/10 in reviews and i've gone Disco camo - what a colour!
Umm....unless these hubs you're talking about are office supplies, that's a bad link.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sell them...

honkinunit said:
$250.00 is a little steep for something I'd be throwing away..........

I'd rather go 150mm because I already have three 150mm rear wheels.
Your net cost should be less because you could always sell the old ones. I wouldn't mind having a spare drive side...I would pay at least $50 for the set. Others might offer more.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
iRider said:
Too bad for you! ;)
iRider, do you have the Tune hub? Info on it is sketchy at best (it's not even on Tune's website) and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I'm honestly not interested in one personally - Tune is a little too hyper weight-weenie for me.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Dogboy said:
iRider, do you have the Tune hub? Info on it is sketchy at best (it's not even on Tune's website) and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I'm honestly not interested in one personally - Tune is a little too hyper weight-weenie for me.
No, it is an 07 release, so probably just a few out there yet. But Tune stuff is pretty cool and their hubs are the lightest I would trust (if I had the money). The weight weenie XC guys swear by them and two friends had them on their DH bikes, Tune King MK front and the normal Kong 135 mm QR rear. No problems besides one worn bearing after 2 years of (ab)use. And their freehub bodies are made of aluminum, so the cogset will leave some marks. Used mainly as race-only wheelset though. Tune's claimed weights are normally spot on and they don't release products until they are thoroughly tested. Only drawback is the price for the rear hub: 562.50 $....and that they don't make a 135 x 12 mm!!!!!!!!!!!

They should be available, at least this is what the price list from their US distributor says.

Distributor:

Alchemy Bicycle Works
720 Rosita ST • Santa Fe NM • 87505
[email protected] • 505.983.4241

Picture from a bike show:

http://foto.mtbtr.com/eurobike/kadro_donanimi_giyim/pages/Tune Kong MK.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.