Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 tracer vp now with a hammershmidt and vanilla. I want to make my tracer into a superlight enduro/XC bike and need to replace my all mountain ride. The thing i didnt like about the tracer was that it didnt feel very comfertable to me for free ride. I am considering buying a new uzzi and swapping my vanilla and my hammershmidt onto it to use it for free ride and all mountain riding. My question is this. for those of you who have a new uzzi with a vanilla or anything else with 160mm travel. Does it feel like you wish you had more when you free ride? I really dont want to have to buy a totem especially since there would be a huge weight penalty on the climbs. Just need some oppinions on how an uzzi with a vinilla handles big gaps and steep terrain. If you want to see what kind of riding we do just youtube blackrock freeride oregon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lyrik 170mm

Tintr said:
I have an 09 tracer vp now with a hammershmidt and vanilla. I want to make my tracer into a superlight enduro/XC bike and need to replace my all mountain ride. The thing i didnt like about the tracer was that it didnt feel very comfertable to me for free ride. I am considering buying a new uzzi and swapping my vanilla and my hammershmidt onto it to use it for free ride and all mountain riding. My question is this. for those of you who have a new uzzi with a vanilla or anything else with 160mm travel. Does it feel like you wish you had more when you free ride? I really dont want to have to buy a totem especially since there would be a huge weight penalty on the climbs. Just need some oppinions on how an uzzi with a vinilla handles big gaps and steep terrain. If you want to see what kind of riding we do just youtube blackrock freeride oregon.
Hey,

For what its worth, I am currently riding the 2010 RS Lyrik 170mm Solo Air, and think its awesome. It's basically exactly like the Fox 36 Float R (my former favorite fork), but the extra travel is noticeable and feels perfect on the Uzzi. It feels a bit slacker, and is very cush.

I had a 160mm Fox 36 Float on it at 1st.

I ride pretty steep terrain locally (Seattle up to Canada), Whistler, etc. but am still not hitting the big gaps and whatnot quite yet.

Anyway, not a coil, I know, but a killer fork for this bike, and crazy light too (only 2090g in the 1.5" steertube cut to 8").

·
Registered
80 Posts
Judging from the videos you referenced, those trails look pretty buff. I'd imagine all sorts of guys ride that stuff on smaller bikes like bottlerockets, etc. But a Tracer wouldn't seem like enough bike for those jump trails. My guess is that it's the bike that's sketchy for you, not the fork.

After spending a season on a Van 36 on my SS riding slow and steep techy DH stuff on the Shore, Whistler, jumps, and AM, I decided to throw a Float 36 on my new Uzzi. While a 160mm or 170mm fork might not be 'as good' for really steep gnar and chunder, it would probably be just the ticket for your intended purposes. 160mm or 170mm forks can still take a hell of a pounding (evidence = any slopestyle event). But I'm also sure that lots of people will tell you that you need a 180mm fork to 'balance' the travel. Guess you'll just have to see what works for you...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was running a 36 upfront on the Uzzi....but did not like the feel it handled as good as it did with a Totem coil...it even seems to climb better.....as before, its really what feels good for you?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ran a 36VAN for about 3 months and now a 66 RC3 Ti for another 3 months on the new Uzzi. The VAN jumped well enough, and was a better climber for AM use. I had to use the medium spring (I weigh 155lb) and use a lot of compression damping to keep from bottoming out on every jump. It still bottomed out more than I would have liked, but was harsh on small bumps. The 66 added a little weight (6.15 vs 5.25 lbs) but is well worth it for my riding. Since I need almost no compression damping, the bike actually jumps further (I get all the energy stored in the spring during preload back, rather then converted to heat from damping), it is more confidence inspiring, especially on step downs or bigger, steeper drops, and the fork is plusher on rough terrain. The only penalty I notice for my riding, is that it bobs a bit more, which means it doesn't pedal quite as well. That's something I think is worth the trade off.

If you have the means, I would try both.

With the 66:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Totem Coil on my Uzzi and I love it. After a long day of riding the weight of the bike becomes a little more noticeable however the pain begins to subside when I am bombing downhill and the bike is just eating up all the the trail is dishing out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.