Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which would be the best bike for me. I thought of swapping my Uzzi SL for a new bike but I havent decided yet if it will be the 5.5 or 6.6 (or I might just stick with the Uzzi, haha).

What does an average 5.5 and 6.6 weigh?

Can you do jumps and drops with the 5.5? if so, from how high approximately?

Im 6' 2", a medium or large?

Are there any notable differences about the 2004, 2005 and 2006 5.5?

What does EVP mean?

Which is the best shock for the bike? If you do know by the way: whats the i2i length?

Any other stuff I should know about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
What does an average 5.5 and 6.6 weigh? 2006.5 5.5 = 6 lbs. 11 oz. (medium)

Can you do jumps and drops with the 5.5? if so, from how high approximately? Yes to a certain degree. Bigger hucks and drops you should look at the 6.6.

Im 6' 2", a medium or large? Large.

Are there any notable differences about the 2004, 2005 and 2006 5.5? New Graphics on the '05. Mid year update on the '06 to one piece upper swing link (stiffer) and new rear triangle (more tire clearance).

What does EVP mean? Enduro Virtual Pivot.

Which is the best shock for the bike? If you do know by the way: whats the i2i length? Probably the new '07 Fox RP23. 7.5" x 2.0" stroke.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Larsey said:
What does an average 5.5 and 6.6 weigh? 2006.5 5.5 = 6 lbs. 11 oz. (medium)

Can you do jumps and drops with the 5.5? if so, from how high approximately? Yes to a certain degree. Bigger hucks and drops you should look at the 6.6.

Im 6' 2", a medium or large? Large.

Are there any notable differences about the 2004, 2005 and 2006 5.5? New Graphics on the '05. Mid year update on the '06 to one piece upper swing link (stiffer) and new rear triangle (more tire clearance).

What does EVP mean? Enduro Virtual Pivot.

Which is the best shock for the bike? If you do know by the way: whats the i2i length? Probably the new '07 Fox RP23. 7.5" x 2.0" stroke.
ditto

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
I recently switched from an Uzzi-SL to a 6.6 and couldn't be happier. The weight of the 6.6 actually feels less than the SL although I haven't weighed it yet. I would guess around 31 lbs.
Mine came with the RP3 shock and I wasn't happy with it until I sent it to PUSH for custom valving. I would go for the Manitou 4 way if it's available.
The 5.5 is a great bike too but I love my 6.6. It makes the Uzzi feel like a hardtail and it climbs much better.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,549 Posts
david101372 said:
I recently switched from an Uzzi-SL to a 6.6 and couldn't be happier. The weight of the 6.6 actually feels less than the SL although I haven't weighed it yet. I would guess around 31 lbs.
Mine came with the RP3 shock and I wasn't happy with it until I sent it to PUSH for custom valving. I would go for the Manitou 4 way if it's available.
The 5.5 is a great bike too but I love my 6.6. It makes the Uzzi feel like a hardtail and it climbs much better.
This answers a lot of what I have been wondering about. I have an uzzi-sl and have also been pondering which one to upgrade to, between the 5.5 and 6.6. In my opinion to go from an uzzi-sl to a 5.5 would basically be a lateral move. The two being about the same travel length except for the suspension design. The only thing that keeps me from going to a 6.6 is the weight penalty. You said that your 6.6 actually feels less than the uzzi-sl, which is hard for me to grasp. As there would be a 4-5lb weight difference. My uzzi-sl comes in at a respectable 28.5lbs and has held up to everything I have thrown at it. Although I would like to be able to Huck it off larger obstacles, this is why I have been leaning towards the 6.6. This is a major dilemma I have been pondering. Should I go 5.5 or 6.6????:confused:

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
well the 5.5 is a great bike as well but like you said, more of a lateral move. I couldn't be happier with my 6.6. I did get a chance to weigh it and it's just over 30 lbs. I never wieghed my SL but I don't think it was 4-5 lbs difference like you said. Assuming you stay with a lightish fork (mines a maverick duc32 at 3.6lbs). Even if it was a couple pounds heavier, it pedals so much nicer that I don't think you'll mind. Intense has a demo ride program that you may want to look into.

·
46,549 Posts
david101372 said:
well the 5.5 is a great bike as well but like you said, more of a lateral move. I couldn't be happier with my 6.6. I did get a chance to weigh it and it's just over 30 lbs. I never wieghed my SL but I don't think it was 4-5 lbs difference like you said. Assuming you stay with a lightish fork (mines a maverick duc32 at 3.6lbs). Even if it was a couple pounds heavier, it pedals so much nicer that I don't think you'll mind. Intense has a demo ride program that you may want to look into.
Thanks, I also would most likely go with the Duc-32 because of it's lightweight design. I would hope that after it being the third year of production that they would have all the bugs worked out. I live in San Diego and hear of many Intense demo days locally. I may take you up on that and demo both the 5.5 and the 6.6.:thumbsup: P.S. How do you like the Duc-32???? I hear it is some what flexy and also needs TLC in replacing the seals frequently.

·
Dr. Bike
205 Posts
The Duc32 is not flexy at all, at least not compared to other XC forks. I will say that the damper side requires more frequent maintenance than most other forks but it only takes a few minutes and you don't even need to take the fork off the bike. My fork is one of the originals and lubrication oil did build up on the tubes but they gave me the updated seals and they did the trick. The only thing required when rebuilding the damper is some fresh oil. It might not be the fork for some people, but I'm very happy with mine.

·
Fun-O-Meter
205 Posts
Uzzi-to-Uzzi

I went from an Uzzi SL to a VPX. I picked up a couple of pounds, but the VPP bike pedals so much better then the SL, I don't notice. The VPX is my only bike, and I take it on long rides here in Washington state.....4'000+ feet of climbing sometimes. Sure, it takes me a little longer because of the weight, but it's fun coming down. I say go for the 6.6, because you won't notice the weight.

·
46,549 Posts
Thanks David and Rich for your input. Good to hear about a positive review of the Duc-32. And it looks like I may be leaning more towards the 6.6 to replace my uzzi-sl in the future.:thumbsup:

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Thanks, I also would most likely go with the Duc-32 because of it's lightweight design. I would hope that after it being the third year of production that they would have all the bugs worked out. I live in San Diego and hear of many Intense demo days locally. I may take you up on that and demo both the 5.5 and the 6.6.:thumbsup: P.S. How do you like the Duc-32???? I hear it is some what flexy and also needs TLC in replacing the seals frequently.
28.5 lbs.

I've had the maverick for 3 years, just put enduro seals on it and once broken in (1-2 rides) they work great. I've rebuilt the damper twice in that time. All I did was change the oil and repressurize. I dig it. It's more linear feeling than some forks but you can address some of this with more air pressure in the damper cartridge. Easy to work on with the manuals you can download on maverick's site too. It's still an xc fork and is on par with the stiffness of a fox single crown (not the 36s) but the 6" of travel help it track really well through chop.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Thanks David and Rich for your input. Good to hear about a positive review of the Duc-32. And it looks like I may be leaning more towards the 6.6 to replace my uzzi-sl in the future.:thumbsup:
MBA didn't like the fork while testing some Gary Fisher bike. Too XC....
I know, does not mean a lot, but makes you think....

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
iRider said:
MBA didn't like the fork while testing some Gary Fisher bike. Too XC....
I know, does not mean a lot, but makes you think....
The only thing MBA ever made me think was what a bunch of morons they are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.