Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after fighting through the front deraileur spacing issues, crank spacing issues, chainline issues, and the most recent front adapter issue, it can be pedalled.

First off, this bike, when you first get on it, is just plain comfortable. Maybe its just my size (5'10"), or maybe its the fact that the 400 pound spring is about 150 pounds undersprung for my weight, but the fact is, the cockpit isn't too long, nor short, and with the seat high for pedalling, you can really put the torque to the ground. The Fox 36 really sets up well for this bike, gets the head angle at about 68 degrees (good for hard trail riding), and is stiffer than Michael Jackson at a cub scout pack meeting.

I'm going to ditch the 150mm spacing in the rear, I know, I know, but the chainline seriously is all wrong when trying to go with a dual ring setup, and after the first ride, I stripped the left crankarm of my XT cranks, because it was out so far. Going back to raceface, I guess.

The setup:

Medium Midnight Blue Uzzi with DHX 5.0
Fox 36
Hugi 440 FR hubs with DT Swiss 6.1 FR rims and DT Competition spokes
Zoke 2.3 FR meats (2.6 will be when I swap it around for DH and put a longer fork on it)
X.O shifters
X.9 Rear D
Deore front D
XT Crankset
Easton Flatboy pedals
Diabolous 31.8 bar
Diabolous 31.6 post
Easton Vice Stem
970 11-34 cassette
Juicy 7 203 mm brakes
E-13 DRS
E-13 reducer cups
FSA integrated headset bearings
WTB saddle

Some things will change when I get a chance, but I just had to ride it, getting sick of building everyone elses bikes, and had to do something for myself for once.

More detailed ride report to follow, not to worry. Once I get that adapter, I'll surely get to let her lose a little more.

Attachments

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
nice!

I like the dark blue. Too bad the fork isn't a different color - even dh40 gray would look better.
I was wondering how they keep chainline with a normal bb and 150mm hub spacing.
You keeping the rear wheel for a vpfree build? You ever ride that 7 Point?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks insanely sweet. How much does it weigh? I had some chainline issues too, did you see my post in the Downhill/Freeride area...I eventually got it to work with a 115.5mm BB & XTR cranks.

Mine is 36.1 with Kenda Kenetics tires and a Breakout+. My Ti spring should be in shortly, so I'm going to be in the 35 range...

-f00d

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel's going to go up for sale

dbabuser said:
I like the dark blue. Too bad the fork isn't a different color - even dh40 gray would look better.
I was wondering how they keep chainline with a normal bb and 150mm hub spacing.
You keeping the rear wheel for a vpfree build? You ever ride that 7 Point?
Going to sell the 150mm wheel soon, get a 135. Weight, no official yet, seems to be around 37 with the Zoke tires that aren't the lightest. Intense "recommends" against a dual ring setup with the 150, and I can see why now, since in certain gear combos, the chainline isn't that great.

Played around with the 7-Point, but didn't really dial it in at all. I really didn't like the turning radius that the Boxxer gave me, that was a difficult thing to get used to. The 7-point is a great idea, and stiffens under torque in a very similar way that the Uzzi does. The weld and paint quality wasn't quite there, but I really didn't expect it to be, in comparison with the Intense.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alignment

I had no problem with alignment, with the exception that I seem to have a VERY tight tollerance on my front deraileur, even with the itty-bitty deore thats on there. Going to try some others, see if they fit a bit better, but thats probably a function of the crankset. Ie: The further your drive side crankset is away from the bottom bracket, the further the cage on the front D is away from your frame. This is what caused my non drive side crank arm to get stripped last night and it pisses me off that shitmano builds what I would term as expensive cranksets (XT) with plastic parts that are quite important. Anyway, let me step down off the soapbox, because thats not Intense's problem, thats Shitmano's, and now, by extension, mine.

Any new frame has its little differences, ways of doing things, routing, building, etc., and the first one you build is always the longest. I build 575's literally in less than 45 minutes, start to finish, because I've done so many. With all the friggin around, I've got over 3 hours into the uzzi, which will now be cut almost in half, hopefully, with the additional info.

You order your small yet? They should be here in a matter of days I'd think.

Can't wait to ride it again tonight, after I rebuild the crankset.

Anyone looking for a 150mm rear wheel? Only one ride on it, great deal as well. :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Beautiful bike :D
As for the BB spacing issues, trying to run a XT crank with 150mm spacing is a losing battle. You can't get the proper chainline with anything other than a BB that will give you an effective 57mm chainline-so no XT, Deus, Atlas, or standard Diabolus/Saint. You can get a Diabolus with a longer spindle and BB spaced to fit a 73mm BB shell that will work. And that head angle-you sure that's 68 degrees. Looks steep to me, but it's just a photo and hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear ya

Dogboy said:
Beautiful bike :D
As for the BB spacing issues, trying to run a XT crank with 150mm spacing is a losing battle. You can't get the proper chainline with anything other than a BB that will give you an effective 57mm chainline-so no XT, Deus, Atlas, or standard Diabolus/Saint. You can get a Diabolus with a longer spindle and BB spaced to fit a 73mm BB shell that will work. And that head angle-you sure that's 68 degrees. Looks steep to me, but it's just a photo and hard to tell.
XT was a losing battle, but I think the new diabolous might work better. The biggest problem I found was that the plastic "crank bolt" for lack of a better term, on the XT, was only catching about 2 threads, and well, its PLASTIC... The Raceface outboard system is a bit better with , at the very least, metal crank bolts, so that should work better. Plus, going back to 135mm spacing should assist with the issue. I decided to use the XT because I had it here, it was used, and thats typically what we do, if we can, use up the used parts for our own bikes. Oh well, brand new Diabolous, I guess, and if I can't get the chainline I want, I'll call RF and see if I can't get the longer spindle.

I measured the head angle 5 times to see myself, and it always came out 68. Granted, its not a digital gage, but it should be pretty damned close to 68 anyway. Intense says 67 with a 7" fork, so 68 with a 6 isn't horribly off. You might be noticing that the front wheel was a bit further from the garage than the rear, with a decent slope there, it might give an illusion of steepness as well.

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Here is a reply from our sales rep at the Intense factory regarding the front derailleur and bb spacing issue.....

"The 150 rear can be used with the dual ring setup providing that you use the
Saint cranks that are made to use on an 80mm BB shell. The width of the BB
will allow the rings to be mounted out far enough that the chain line would
be good. If you did decide to use the 135mm rear then you can use the
standard Shimano spindle width. The front derailleur that you need to use
is the XTR FDM960 or the XT equivalent. The derailleur is a low clamp, top
swing, and top pull. The key to getting the front derailleur to work
correctly is to position it on the seat tube as if there is a 3rd large
chainring. Use the adjustment screws to lock the cage from attempting to
shift into the bash guard. If you have any other setup questions please
give me a call."

I hope that clears things up for any Uzzi, or potential Uzzi, owners.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Innocent Bystander said:
Here is a reply from our sales rep at the Intense factory regarding the front derailleur and bb spacing issue.....

"The 150 rear can be used with the dual ring setup providing that you use the
Saint cranks that are made to use on an 80mm BB shell. The width of the BB
will allow the rings to be mounted out far enough that the chain line would
be good. If you did decide to use the 135mm rear then you can use the
standard Shimano spindle width. The front derailleur that you need to use
is the XTR FDM960 or the XT equivalent. The derailleur is a low clamp, top
swing, and top pull. The key to getting the front derailleur to work
correctly is to position it on the seat tube as if there is a 3rd large
chainring. Use the adjustment screws to lock the cage from attempting to
shift into the bash guard. If you have any other setup questions please
give me a call."

I hope that clears things up for any Uzzi, or potential Uzzi, owners.
Now that's good info :D
The problem with the Diabolus (only with the 150mm rear) is that instead of having the plastic cap on the XT cranks barely catching, you would only have a small portion of the spindle engaged in the crankarm and no pinch bolts (like the Shimano) holding the arm on. It would be easily a worse scenerio.
Peachy: If you are running the rear spacing at 135mm, the Diabolus will be fine. If you are using the 150mm rear, you will need wider spacing on the cranks/BB. That's the trouble with trying to make a frame that works with both. Ideally it would be 135mm spacing with a 73mm BB shell or 150mm spacing with an 83mm BB shell. Still, it's an awesome frame, just takes a little work to get the perfect setup.

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
ILikeFood said:
Intense told me that all the outboard bearing cranks were working fine with the 135mm rear...

-f00d
YES!!!!

i bought a 135mm hadley and i will be using that on the VPX for sure. if you guys are saying i won't have a problem then i trust u guys. i have no clue on this chainline/BB width stuff. well a small clue maybe. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.